06 Jeep Cherokee CRD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave243

Reaction score
Hi I live in New Zealand and its very difficult to get info on Jeeps or anybody that knows much about them here.
I am having some issues with the 4WD, it engages and the dash light comes on 4WD lo and the vehicle is definitely in low range.
However there is no drive to the front wheels. So when in 4WD there is only drive to the rear wheels. Everything appears to be intact and no grease or oil leaks.

It appears the front propeller shaft is not turning?, transfer case end or diff end so no front wheels turning, drove onto the beach in 4WD and got stuck? The vehicle has the Selec-Trac transfer case and Auto transmission, what do you think? any help would be appreciated.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Your transfer case shift linkage may have come loose at the transfer case. It seems to be a common problem fixed with cheap hardware store parts. Mine hasn't done it yet so I'm not the best expert.

Alternatively your front drive-shaft might be the problem. Crawl under and give it a good shake.

Dave243

Reaction score
Thanks, it is definitely going into 4Lo you can feel it when driving, so i don't think its the linkage, but i will check. The front prop shaft (Transfer case to front diff) appears to be fine, not loose or leaking, just not spinning when in 4WD, but I will jack it up and check it again. When all the wheels are off the ground and in 4hi (have part time and full time) or 4 low shouldn't the front prop shaft be turning?? and then turning the wheels. I would have thought so in full time and 4 low??
I am starting to think the transfer case has spat the dummy, but no noise etc coming from it.

Just one other query, the TPMS is on, cut the side wall on original tyre so fitted another jeep rim and tyre to keep me moving, tell me the TPMS doesn't effect the 4WD/4lo to the front axles?? very confusing. any help is great, or I have a free Jeep in NZ if you want it! ha ha still laughing just.

Dave243

Reaction score
Update on the transfer case issues, drained the oil out and clean as a whistle, was expecting teeth and filings but nothing. put the vehicle in 4 lo stopped and jack it up (transmission in neutral) turned the rear drive shaft and rear wheels turn, to be expected. however the front prop shaft sort of started to turn (including front wheels) then stopped. didn't matter what I tried after that the front prop shaft does not turn. I think it should?? but it sort of started then nothing, should all 4 wheels turn when in 4lo and off the ground. so not any wiser. Am I missing something? apart from enough money to by a new Jeep. Please help.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pop the linkage cable off and move the selector by hand. Ie - Your hand moves it, not the cable. That way you can feel for sure that it is locked into that range. Do for all 4 settings. Under the jeep. From behind the t. Case.

Dave243

Reaction score
Yes the 242 is chain drive, I can see it through the filler/drain holes, the chain appears to be sitting on the gear wheel and has tension. I will shift the selector manually as suggested and see how I get on, standby might have to do it over the weekend. thanks

Dave243

Reaction score
its been a while, i removed the old 242j transfer case and installed a second hand one. I have now dismantled the old transfer case and it appears the problem is the shift sleeve {low range one) as there is two, has not been engaging correctly and has worn the back 4 -5mm of the shift sleeve gear. so when it's in 4 low its not catching the shift sleeve gear and planetary gear. So no 4low. can't see why this has occurred.?
see attached picture. does anybody know where I can get one of these shift sleeves?
The longer shift sleeve for I am guessing the 4 hi seem readily available but not these ones.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Members online