05 stuck in reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fastcarsspeed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So picked up a 05 Liberty for my Dad. The guy broke the ignition switch so I know I need to fix that but the jeep is stuck in Reverse. I pulled the cables off both the top and under the jeep and the shifter cable seems to be fine but the gear selector would not budge. I am going to have to remove the front driveshaft just to get up in there to see what is going on but I am hoping I don't have to pull the trans. Has anyone seen this issue before?

fastcarsspeed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think with the shift cables disconnected the interlock does not come into play with the transmission. Correct me if I am wrong?

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not very familiar with the system as a whole, just trying to help generate some ideas

fastcarsspeed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh I agree I am not 100% on the interlock but I don't believe it is playing a role. Also to add to this the 4wd Lever is very loose so no clue if maybe the transfer case could be causing an issue with this also. Just looking for suggestions before I have to pull the whole trans. I am going to remove the front driveshaft this weekend so I can get my hands up in there to see if something is bound up.

fastcarsspeed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am on travel playing couch mechanic at the moment. Thinking about the Transfer Cable being way loose could it be disconnected in 4wd Low and that is why the transmission will not shift out of reverse?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I could only think that the transfer case could be an issue if it's really jammed up for some reason, but I'd think it would still let you shift. I could've sworn the trans shifter was purely electronic.

Does the shifter button go in at all? The other idea I have is try pulling the Jeep backwards while shifting and see if that helps? I can't even recall another thread on this. Sorry!

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stupid question: HOW do you know it's stuck in reverse?

fastcarsspeed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I have done a ton of searching and cannot see another instance. Because it is at the top of a steep driveway I have no room to roll and try anything. I am just going to tow it out of there on Friday and get it back to my place where there is flat ground and I can get it up in the air.

The transmission has a lever just like the tranfer case to switch from p,r,n,d,2,1. I took the cable off of both ends and the lever will not move at all.

fastcarsspeed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL good question.

1. Backup Lights are on.
2. Because the previous owner broke the ignition lock I had to pull the starter relay and jump it. Because of the backup lights I was not risking anything and so I jacked the rear end up before I started the engine to make sure the engine was ok before spending $$$ on this liberty. Started right up and the rear wheels were spinning in reverse.

stupid question: HOW do you know it's stuck in reverse?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I think I'd start with fixing the ignition lock. I think it has to be related to that. It's odd that it would get stuck in reverse since the key shouldn't come out of the ignition in anything besides P or N.

fastcarsspeed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is the first thing I will be doing. The part should be there when I get home.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you move the linkage at transmission body?
if not, I'm not sure you're going to be liking the answer.

I've been looking up the interlock system specifically, and it's all apparently done at the floor shifter and at the ignition key switch. it seems like there's nothing that can/should stop the mechanism from moving at the transmission, with the cable disconnected.

fastcarsspeed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is what I am afraid of. I am now hoping that maybe the guy did something where the transfer case is in 4 wheel low when he was trying to get his key out of the ignition. If not guess I will be sourcing a Transmission. Can't complain too much the jeep was only 400.00. Now I am thinking I should have stuck to my 300.00 offer.

can you move the linkage at transmission body?
if not, I'm not sure you're going to be liking the answer.

I've been looking up the interlock system specifically, and it's all apparently done at the floor shifter and at the ignition key switch. it seems like there's nothing that can/should stop the mechanism from moving at the transmission, with the cable disconnected.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Can you drop the pan and see what it looks like in there?

I have a theory. You're probably 1000 steps ahead and I hope and pray I'm wrong lol. But it sounds like he had it in 4LO and reverse, something got screwed up where it wouldn't come out of reverse and they broke the ignition in order to get the key out since it wasn't in park or neutral. If you can drop the pan, there might be some evidence in there of some catastrophe.

fastcarsspeed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so worst case scenario if I have to get a trans what vehicles can I get one from? I see that this could have two different transmissions. I have a pretty big local jeep club that I was hoping may have a trans laying around.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Easiest will be another Liberty. Is the difference 2 wire vs 3 wire or something? I couldn't figure that out, I ended up getting mine rebuilt.

fastcarsspeed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am so confused. It is an 05 Rocky Mountain Edition. When you look everywhere they introduced the 42RLE in mid 03. Does that mean all automatic non CRD Libertys have the 42RLE or there is a mix between that and the 45RFE. GAH. Head Explodes.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Believe the 42RLE and 45RFE have a different number of bolts for the transmission pan..easiest way I found to tell the difference.
IIRC 13 bolts for the 42RLE and 15 for the 45RFE.. but not positive.
Believe the information is on here in the Transmission fluid change thread that's stickied.

*edit* here it is..
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/42rle-45rfe-transmission-filter-gasket-info-40498/

As for which came with which.. not too positive myself, I was under the impression that 4wds had the rfe.. hrmm..

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
05= 42RLE. But within that, there's 3 wire and 4 wire variations. Not sure which is which.

Easiest way to tell which trans an 03 has is the crossmember. Straight= 42RLE, if it's like /----\ shaped then it's the 45RFE.

Latest posts

Members online