05 Sport ****** Over temp vs Hood Louvers and or extra trans cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Neal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hood Louvers 05 Sport
Any input as to source 2 hood louvers?
I know several have used trans am louvers, is ther anything better/ and or cheaper which is appropriate?
Am thinking of either adding additional trans cooler and/ or hood louvers.
Not opposed to doing both the louvers and cooler if that is the consenses.
The extra cooler is no problem finding and installing. The louvers may be tougher to find and install and do they really help the temp -------I t seems the louver would be a major help in dissapating heat.

Any opinions welcome

thank
Neal

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I am involved in the same search, grand prix and grand am GT's have the louvers I am looking for (with drip trays). The only place I have seen them so far is ebay. Hope we don't end up bidding against each other! (bump)

Happy Hunting

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
It's a little more involved to add an AUX cooler. The lines are hard lined all the way to the cooler, with just that little but of hose at the beginning, from the transmission nozzels. Mine does not use the lower or side of the rad for the transmission fluid, it has ONE single cooler, and that is not good IMO. The rad portion keeps the temp at a constant rate, where as the cooler causes spikes in the fluid temperature. Adding an AUX would help, but still have spikes in the temperature. The best, and most expensive way, would be to find a RAD that fits, with trans cooler lines, then go through the factory cooler AFTER the rad.

To add an AUX cooler to this? You would need to cut out a 3-4" section of the return line from the factory cooler, then FLAIR 1/4" of the cut ends so you can attach hoses to them. While not ALL that hard, just time and tools. Then from the flared end at the factory cooler, hose that to to the AUX cooler. Then, from the AUX cooler, hose that to the flared end to the transmission hard line, or make this one solid transmission hose return line. You won't need to do anything to the send line at all.

You can even attach an electric fan, with separate thermostat to the FACTORY cooler. You can get the fan and thermostat kit from Pep Boyz or other auto store that carries them.

The transmission fluid should not go higher than 170-degrees, that's what the DIP STICK said on my Dodge, than seems unrealistic. HEAT is the killer of all transmissions, so keeping the fluid at 150 - 170 is great for them. The TCM will learn and adjust tot he lower temps. The hotter the fluid is, the thinner it is, and the clutches work harder and increase the duty cycle for shifting, and so on. This is why the older transmissions, like the A604, would become damaged if you completely cycled fluid, and did NOT reset the TCM. It would continue to use the learned values from worn fluid on NEW, and burn out clutches, and what not.

ALSO, someone just posted a pic of their liberty with hood louvers in another thread.
You must be registered for see images attach

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38635

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought mine here--http://www.raceace.com/index.html.They did drop the IAT temps by 20 degrees and actual engine temps by 5-10 degrees depending on how fast I'm going.

Sure they are a little more then the Grand Prix ones but they are quality built and super easy to install.I got the medium high flow versions and opted to use stainless steel button head bolts instead of the supplied stainless steel rivets.Of course the end result is in the pic above in Powerslave's post.
You must be registered for see images

I also added a AUX trans cooler for my Trans but I have the 45RFE which means I have the in-radiator cooler making it easy,it is a 28,000lbs GVWR cooler.

Last edited:

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Now, with something like that, you can use that cheap DUAL CONE intake system you have been seeing on Ebay (see pic below). The cooler air will come directly in from outside. That's what I said about it prior, if you can louver he hood, you got a good intake.

There are a few sellers there that have them, and there is a slightly cheaper version too from one of the other sellers.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now, with something like that, you can use that cheap DUAL CONE intake system you have been seeing on Ebay (see pic below). The cooler air will come directly in from outside. That's what I said about it prior, if you can louver he hood, you got a good intake.

There are a few sellers there that have them, and there is a slightly cheaper version too from one of the other sellers.
You'd be sucking in 100% extremely hot air with that.The hood vents are oneway and that is from the engine bay out,not the outside air into the engine bay.The vents point toward the back of the vehicle so as not to suck in air but cause a vacuum to suck hot air out,plus when in motion the air coming from the radiator opening will push hot air out of the vents and the electric fan will also force hot air out the vents when sitting stationary.Trust me when sitting still and the electric fan running you can not stand to hold your hand within a few inch's of those vents since they are pushing very hot air out.My vents are located right where that fleabay intake/filter would sit just sucking up super heated air and dropping mpg's and power with it.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, but you also said, there was a 20-degree difference in the temperature with the louvers in there hood.
They did drop the IAT temps by 20 degrees and actual engine temps by 5-10 degrees depending on how fast I'm going.

This was discussed before, by someone else, on my post with the intake system I installed. I know my intake isn't a real CAI, and I know that, but; They said the temp equalized with outside temp when driving, and that's normally 40MPH. They said they TESTED it, so, if you say your IAT dropped by 20 degrees, well, still, the OEM AIRBOX is going to be hot, because its HUGE, and has plenty of surfaces to heat up.

I stick by it, It will work, and better than the OEM AirBox setup. Mine works great, and are getting better pickup, and ever so slightly better MPG. IT was about 15-16 city, now it's 16-17 (yeah, big deal, but every mile counts), and much better highway. If it didn't work, then nothing would improve.

35 and under? Well, yeah, hotter air, but even the OE AIRBOX will also heat up since the air is not moving either; and, two of the OE box sides & the tube, get nice and toasty, so the air will be hot IN the box too. So, you pull in hotter air, because the OE box heats it up anyway. If you are still with an OEM Box, and temps are down 20 degrees? The louvers are doing their job in reducing the overall ambient temps all the way around, so it will STILL work better than the OE BOX.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but you also said, there was a 20-degree difference in the temperature with the louvers in there hood.

This was discussed before, by someone else, on my post with the intake system I installed. I know my intake isn't a real CAI, and I know that, but; They said the temp equalized with outside temp when driving, and that's normally 40MPH. They said they TESTED it, so, if you say your IAT dropped by 20 degrees, well, still, the OEM AIRBOX is going to be hot, because its HUGE, and has plenty of surfaces to heat up.

I stick by it, It will work, and better than the OEM AirBox setup. Mine works great, and are getting better pickup, and ever so slightly better MPG. IT was about 15-16 city, now it's 16-17 (yeah, big deal, but every mile counts), and much better highway. If it didn't work, then nothing would improve.

35 and under? Well, yeah, hotter air, but even the OE AIRBOX will also heat up since the air is not moving either; and, two of the OE box sides & the tube, get nice and toasty, so the air will be hot IN the box too. So, you pull in hotter air, because the OE box heats it up anyway. If you are still with an OEM Box, and temps are down 20 degrees? The louvers are doing their job in reducing the overall ambient temps all the way around, so it will STILL work better than the OE BOX.
Here we go again:D.......................

That crappy twin fleabay intake will cause loss of power and mpg's,evenb with hood vents since it is going to be sucking hot air from the radiator(as it flows through the radiator at speed) and when sitting still will be sucking hot air right off the exhuast manifolds which those filters will be sitting right above.I'm running the AFE CAI with a AEM dryflow filter,it has a heat sheild around it and since I do not have the OEM windshield washer tank there it can draw cooler air from that hole left,plus it is out of the air flow of the radiator which = cooler air to start.I also wrapped my intake tube with header wrap,good for keeping heat out of the air tube.The OEM box ***** cold air in right from on top of the passenger headlight,even sitting still it is still sucking in cooler air then that fleabay intake will ever even at 100mph.I never once stated the underhood temps ever decreased since I have never measured them,the IAT does in no way measure underhood temps,only measures the high flowing air temp in the intake.

Oh and you don't have that fleabay intake like you pictured above,you have one that has the filter in the OEM box area,out of the hot air flow of the radiator.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those vents on the hood will not help the ****** near as much as a better cooler would.

My 2004 kj has a lot of rubber hose going to the stock cooler. All I would need to do is cut them and put some barbs in to run to a new cooler.

And yes, theres not a question about it, those ebay intakes will harm performance. There is nothing to argue about there.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best way to cool your KJ trans if you have the 42RLE is to replace the radiator for one that is ment for a '02 KJ with a 45RFE to get the in-radiator cooler.Leave the OEM stand alone cooler in place,cut the OEM cooler feed line and run it to the top port in the in-radiator cooler,then rn a line back to the other side of the cut OEM cooler line.That way the hot trans fluid goes through the radiator to stabilize the temps(and cool some) then runs to the other cooler to further cool the fluid before going back to the trans.

The OEM stand alone trans coolers found in KJ's with the 42RLE trans can not control temp skips in the fluid like a in-radiator cooler can.When you combine both types of coolers you will get a better cooling effect under all conditions.It also will help in the winter,remember the TCM will lock out the higher gears until the fluid heats up to normal operating temps,the in-radiator cooler will make this happen quicker.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I am involved in the same search, grand prix and grand am GT's have the louvers I am looking for (with drip trays). The only place I have seen them so far is ebay. Hope we don't end up bidding against each other! (bump)

Happy Hunting

Get the 5 louver when you get them, 9 louvered ones are too long to mount right. I have the 5s on mine and work great have 15 bucks in them, look great and a lot of people think they are factory installed

Also I do not have the drip pans on mine, don't need them lets more air flow through and mine are right over the cylinder heads and no problem with water coming in, I mean you drive through water and wash the engine anyways:D

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the 5 louver when you get them, 9 louvered ones are too long to mount right. I have the 5s on mine and work great have 15 bucks in them, look great and a lot of people think they are factory installed

Also I do not have the drip pans on mine, don't need them lets more air flow through and mine are right over the cylinder heads and no problem with water coming in, I mean you drive through water and wash the engine anyways:D

Do you have pics and info on how you did it?

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
A few links for assorted hood vents

Here are a couple of links for a wide variety of hood vents. Although this site is from the United Kingdom, there are suppliers in North America that sell the very same products.
I believe Mini Mania.com sells most of them for example.
This link shows all models on one page with UK prices in Pounds Sterling.
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ProductList.asp?cls=ROAD&grp=RP011&pgrp=RD003&tlgrp=RD003
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ProductList.asp?cls=MSPORT&grp=MP205&pgrp=M033&tlgrp=MS004
or this link in PDF format.
Scroll down the page and see if any of them suite your needs.
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/resources/pdfs/RGMAC12.pdf
Some are adhesive stick on fake "Boy racer" just for looks, but they can be converted into fully functioning hood vents*.

*These links fall under the ones that I have converted from "fake, just for looks" to fully functional hood vents for friends sports cars and trucks.

*http://www.lundinternational.com/avs_car_category_objectname_avs_car_scoops.aspx
*http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000A8FLJM...e=380337&creativeASIN=B000A8FLJM&linkCode=asn

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=412598
http://www.ravspeconline.com/shop/c...p?cPath=&products_id=2456&manufacturers_id=93
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/items/__hood-vents_W0QQ?_rdc=1

Anyway, for anybody interested in seeing a wide variety of hood vents!
And to get your creative juices flowing!
Enjoy

Ry'

Last edited:

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score

Roger that Rev.! I have heard the drip pans are not necessary, just wanted to be over prepared ..lol. The more I see TJ's the more I am leaning towards them. They look great and it would certainly make it easier than searching forever for the pontiac ones.