05 Liberty With 02 Radiator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

meoget

Reaction score
Hello,
I had to replace my radiator a while back, and I received a 2002 radiator with the transmission cooling inlet and outlet. As my 05 did not come with the radiator cooler, I am trying to run my cooling lines to the radiator, but the 3/8 brass pipe thread adapter does not seal properly. The inlet and outlet on the radiator have a recessed flat surface that looks like a sealing surface. Is there any way to get this to seal properly? Are there some sort of standard fittings I can buy?

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I had to replace my radiator a while back, and I received a 2002 radiator with the transmission cooling inlet and outlet. As my 05 did not come with the radiator cooler, I am trying to run my cooling lines to the radiator, but the 3/8 brass pipe thread adapter does not seal properly. The inlet and outlet on the radiator have a recessed flat surface that looks like a sealing surface. Is there any way to get this to seal properly? Are there some sort of standard fittings I can buy?

Two bobs did this and can chime in. If you can find his profile on here you can PM him.

Is your radiator OEM or aftermarket?

meoget

Reaction score
Hi Dude, thanks for the reply.
The radiator is aftermarket. I believe the box said Vision or something like that.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for not replying sooner - been on the road and haven't visited JKJ.com like I normally do...

Yep, need compression fittings to make it work. Run both coolers together and you'll have a nice, cool running transmission. Below is the link to the thread dude referenced:

HD Cooling Installed

Bob

meoget

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! Everything is routed properly, and it actually doesn't leak too bad as it is, but it definitely needs to be fixed.
I have asked more people than I care to count, and nobody could tell me what kind of fittings I needed.
No worries on the delay, Bob. I have been quite busy myself.

meoget

Reaction score
Well, after searching for compression fittings, I am still lost. I don't see anything that would be any different than what I have, as far as the threads going into the radiator are concerned. All of these compression fittings I found, look exactly the same on the thread side. I'm not sure how this will change anything. I feel somewhat ignorant, and I must be looking at the wrong fittings, or just oblivious to the obvious (likely the latter). Could someone explain exactly how this works, and maybe a link to a pic or something. I feel foolish for asking, but I just don't understand.
The HD cooling post doesn't mention connectors, as it seems to be mostly about fans and shrouds. This is not an issue for me, as we rarely see anything above 80F. The reasoning behind rerouting the transmission lines, is that we have a rather long winter, and I would like the transmission to be warmed up when I start to drive. If I let my Jeep run 30 minutes in the morning, the motor oil is nice and warm, but the ATF is still pretty cold. I do run it "off-road", but it's pretty mild. I honestly never really even need low range, so I think the fan and shroud upgrade may be unnecessary for me.
Again, thanks for helping out.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could be a bad connection point on the replacement rad or the fitting. Are you sure the fitting is tight enough? Is the end fitting really clean and not defective? I replaced my OE factory rad a few years back with a Spectra Premium brand (lessons learned) and I had a heck of a time getting the factory cooler line to seal. Slow leak at the top fitting. I have only the in rad cooler in my 02. I had used Spectra as a replacement in other vehicles without problems but the KJ is finicky with rads and this one leaked a few months later at the typical front top driverside area. Put a Mopar in after that, ****** lines sealed without a problem and has been good for a few years now.

meoget

Reaction score
I want to thank everyone again for your help! I started remodeling my bathroom, so I haven't been quick to reply.
ltd02, I am not connecting the stock lines to the radiator, as my '05 did not have radiator connections. This means that I have to find fittings that would work.
Thanks renegade! I will try these, but the threaded end looks to be the same as what I put in there.
This is what I used for fittings - Dorman 563953BP - Transmission Cooler Fitting | O'Reilly Auto Parts

ltd could be right. El cheapo radiator may just be leaking.