05 Liberty Renegade wont start after long drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmdfd415

Reaction score
Hello,

I havent been on this forum in a while, but I am having some trouble with my jeep and I am hoping someone on here can help. Here is the current problem. If I drive for about 30-40 minutes shut the car off then try to start it up again 5 minutes later it will not start. just kinda idles really low like its going to stall and just never starts up. after 10 or 15 more minutes it will start right up. Even after just sitting a while it starts up fine. It actually drives fine too. I took it to the dealership last week and they found no problems with it at all. Last weekend problem happened again so I took it back to the dealership and we were able to replicate the problem. Still they had no idea what was wrong. They ended up giving it a tune up and cleaning the throttle body and the cylinders. All seemed fine and it was running great, but problem is still there. They have no idea what is wrong because everything is showing up fine on all of their tests. Anyone have any clue whats going on?

Thanks!

jramey

Reaction score
My 06 libby has done the same thing before multiple times, I used some fuel treatment from a parts store and it has seemed to have stopped, I used the fuel treatment stuff through three fillups and havnt had an issue since. Please keep me posted though if you do find out what has caused the issue.

jmdfd415

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I am actually taking it back to the dealership tomorrow morning. They are now telling me that there is a possible leaking fuel injector. Thought it was strange since everything is still showing up fine in diagnostics and there are no error codes. Hopefully something gets fixed. This is the third trip to the dealership in a week :/

jramey

Reaction score
Hmm its hard to believe its a leaky fuel injecter though, you should be able to see that by looking at them. Well hopefully they figure it out though.

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
i experienced this yesterday.... and today nothing.. i put it up for bad gas ( im going to put some line drier in it just incase theres some water in there)

jmdfd415

Reaction score
i experienced this yesterday.... and today nothing.. i put it up for bad gas ( im going to put some line drier in it just incase theres some water in there)

well the first time i took it in i had just filled up. I just filled up again before taking it back the second time with gas from a different station and still have the same problem.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the first time i took it in i had just filled up. I just filled up again before taking it back the second time with gas from a different station and still have the same problem.
Does sound like a leaky injector,leaks just enough when the engine is tirned off that the existing fuel pressure leaks down fast flooding the engine.When a quick restart is tried it will not start due to being flooded but after sitting awhile it will start just fine,all symptoms of a flooded engine.A leaking injector,if not real bad,will not cause any running issues.

2 quick tests can confirm a leaking injector...............

1--start and drive for your 30mins,shut off engine.Then right away try to restart but hold the gas pedal all the way to the floor.Holding the gas pedal all the way down while cranking shuts off the fuel.If it starts,or start better you have a leaking injector or real bad engine compression.

2--attach fuel pressure gauge on test port(passenger side fuel rail) and turn the key to "Run"(do not start engine),you shoulkd see the fuel pressure rise to around 60psi.Turn key off and watch the gauge,if it fall pretty fast you have a leaky injector.If it takes 30+mins to drop below 30psi you do not have a leaky injector.

jmdfd415

Reaction score
Does sound like a leaky injector,leaks just enough when the engine is tirned off that the existing fuel pressure leaks down fast flooding the engine.When a quick restart is tried it will not start due to being flooded but after sitting awhile it will start just fine,all symptoms of a flooded engine.A leaking injector,if not real bad,will not cause any running issues.

2 quick tests can confirm a leaking injector...............

1--start and drive for your 30mins,shut off engine.Then right away try to restart but hold the gas pedal all the way to the floor.Holding the gas pedal all the way down while cranking shuts off the fuel.If it starts,or start better you have a leaking injector or real bad engine compression.

2--attach fuel pressure gauge on test port(passenger side fuel rail) and turn the key to "Run"(do not start engine),you shoulkd see the fuel pressure rise to around 60psi.Turn key off and watch the gauge,if it fall pretty fast you have a leaky injector.If it takes 30+mins to drop below 30psi you do not have a leaky injector.

well right off the bat I know the first test is true in my case. which makes me think maybe they finally figured out whats going on. i will talk to them a little more tomorrow morning and see what they say. thanks for your help!

jmdfd415

Reaction score
well fuel injectors are just fine and not leaking. they absolutley have no idea what is wrong with it....any other ideas?

jmdfd415

Reaction score
after running it through several tests all night long I am now being told there is sediment in my gas tank causing the problem and they need to clean it out and replace the fuel pump....my bill just got huge :( this better fix it!!!

jmdfd415

Reaction score
That ***** man. Are you still experiencing it? Keep us updated if it works

they havnet fixed it yet. they informed me of what they were going to do, so they had to order a part and wont be able to fix it until tomorrow.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
As Ethanol based fuels especially in cooler, damp, temps like to absorb moisture.
You could try: Run a marine grade "ethanol" fuel stabilizer which also cleans, protects lines and pump that gets added to fuel tank.
http://www.goldeagle.com/products/product3CC6.aspx
Run this at double the recommended strength first time to remove moisture, with 89-90 octane, until down to 1/4 tank and then re-fill.
AS a fuel injector cleaner 3 times a year, I also use Chevron Techron fuel additive.
http://www.chevron.ca/commercial/techron.asp