05 KJ Cig Lighter Plug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone modified the cig plug of an 05 to activate with the key ignition?

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's just a precaution. There's a lot of interesting cig-plug devices here that I'd like to try out (that don't need to be permanently wired). The locals never have to worry since all their cig-plugs are activated by ignition; therefore, the devices are designed that way. I'm afraid one of these days I may accidentally leave something plugged in and it would drain my battery out.

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a GPS unit wired into a cigarette lighter, and it just stays on all the time. Left it be for a week or so, never had a problem.

I think the easiest way to get what you want to do is put an add-a-fuse into a circuit that is on with ignition (headlights, radio, etc). If the power draw is low, you're fine. If it's not, you'll want to relay the power from the battery anyway, but using the ignition as the power for the switch side of the relay will force it to turn off with the ignition is off.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could build your own adapter with an on off switch or install a second lighter that is wired to the ignition too.

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What you can also do is cut the positive cig wire, and connect in a relay, then use the ignition line from the radio to trigger the relay.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
billforde said:
What you can also do is cut the positive cig wire, and connect in a relay, then use the ignition line from the radio to trigger the relay.

That's sort of what I had in mind. Either that or cowcatcher's suggestion for an additional plug.

Can you tell me which color wire the ignition line is? I haven't opened up the HU area since last year...can't remember.

Thanks.

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

In my 04 its the Orange/Red wire. The color in the 05 maybe different, but the location is still pin 2.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahh! #-o Forgot all about that diagram. I got that from you almost a year ago.

I'm sure the wire colors are the same...but pin 2...got it! Thanks, bill!

Members online