'04 with DTC's - Transmission/Torque converter + MORE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Libertyprob

Reaction score
Ok so i have been skulking around looking for an answer. I have an '04 (4x4 limited trail rated automatic) that i had a factory rebuild transmission put in when the original went out. Not sure on the date i purchased it but its around the 3 year warranty deadline or passed it for the ******.

So a few weeks ago the wife calls and reports the transmission wasn't shifting and the rpm's were heading up to around the 3k mark. I scan it when she gets home and the codes are: P0700, P0137 (02 sensor, its been bad for.... awhile)
P1776 -solonoid switch valve stuck in LR

p0740- Torque converter clutch (There may be other diagnostic trouble codes associated with the transmission control module that can only be accessed by using an advanced scan tool. If any additional transmission related DTC's appear in addition to the P0740, an electrical failure is likely)

And P3138 (i have not found any info on this one)

Now i drive it often and the transmission does not seem to have any issues, Rpm's seem to fluctuate properly when shifting, hit around 2-2.2k rpm at 70MPH on HWY. I have not changed the trans fluid or filter since it was replaced. I assume theres around 15-30k miles on it since the trans swap. I didnt keep record of when i swapped it because i assumed the part would not crap out this soon (likely hasn't from the way it shifts). I am at a loss as what to do to try and correct this issue. The transmission once acted funny when the battery was dying and the voltage wasnt high enough for the trans to shift. replaced battery and everything was good. I have a scan tool.

Also have a small oil leak in the front of the engine near where the oil filter and belts etc are, I will try and get some pictures on here for that tomorrow. i had something resealed not long ago(Valve,headgasket,cylinder heads come to mind) due to oil leaking and burning up which caused a horrible smell when the heat was turned on. I know this is a long post but i have a bunch of problems going on and want to keep this Jeep alive, without having to harvest organs to financially do so.

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums! Firstly, Get the 02 sensor replaced with a quality NGK/ NTK.
You could try a can of Seafoam Trans Tune into the trans fluid. That often cleans the valve body & solenoids well. Drive for 300 miles and see if anything improves, then...
I would want to pull the pan & have a peek in there to see if there is any particulate matter.
As the 42RLE is electronically controlled, I would consider looking at the main trans connectors inspect & then clean em by using and electrical contact spray and then compressed air/ then reassemble.
Was the replacement transmission installed by dealer? You could kill 2 birds with one stone by having a proper scan done and have them check transmission firmware and update it at the same time..
Just some thoughts here...

Oil leaks, you got to be sure it's all cleaned first, makes it easier to tell where it's really coming from.
The oil filter can loosen up so being tight & checking the oil pressure sensor (above filter) to make sure it's not leaking is a good plan as well.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I had the 1776 code last summer while towing a trailer on a hot day. Took it to the dealer, the code cleared, they changed the fluid and didn't see anything abnormal in it. Had about 40k on that fluid. Thinking it was contaminated too from water crossings etc.

Libertyprob

Reaction score
nothin new

Thanks for the replys. Have yet to act on this problem. Hopefully soon i can get it resolved.