04 lunging slightly while rolling at idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geof3

Reaction score
It seems this may be a "****** characteristic" for Chrysler trannies. When I'm rolling into my garage very slowly at idle (flat) the truck seems to lunge, or slighty lurch a little. Otherwise drives fine, shifts fine, 4wd all works well, the truck will crawl up my (steep) driveway in 4L. This only seems to happen when rolling forward (or reverse) very slowly. Thoughts?

Geof3

Reaction score
this is not when it down shifts?

Nope... Flat ground, in drive, rolling into position to park. It almost feels like it is trying to scoot. Kinda feels like the brakes are sticking a little, it's difficult to describe.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Sometimes it can lunge when going from park to drive or reverse, that's the 42rle.
If it's doing it in 1st gear may be a sign of tuning. TPS, throttle body /IAC clean also..??
Check for codes with a good shop scanner.

Geof3

Reaction score
Sometimes it can lunge when going from park to drive or reverse, that's the 42rle.
If it's doing it in 1st gear may be a sign of tuning. TPS, throttle body /IAC clean also..??
Check for codes with a good shop scanner.

****** codes or engine codes? No CEL. Can I check the ****** codes with my obd2 scanner? I've never had a scannable trans before, that would be very cool. The one thing I haven't done is clean the TB etc. I will do that this weekend. Mine does have the classic intermittent idle stumble as well.

Funny thing is, this "issue" is somewhat intermittent. I read somewhere it is a common occurrence backing up on an angle due to servo timing and not the strongest torque converter in the world??

Geof3

Reaction score
Can the 04 version be cleaned like the the older version? Hit it with TB cleaner and wipe until shiny? I may pull the entire TB and go to town? Can't hurt!

Is there a specific Trans type of code reader? Or is this a shop only tool (big $$)?

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as long as it is for a TB, you should be good.
Pull the IAC out and clean it too.

big $$ for scanners that can read ****** codes.