Bogs Down in Reverse UP an Incline

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Learned something new about my KJ today. I got into some loose, heavy gravel and rock near a river bank and actually feared rolling over on its side toward the river. I decided to back up, instead of continuing ahead to turn up to higher ground. I was in Full-Time 4WD, put it in reverse and it almost felt like the rear brakes were on. I couldn't even get enough RPM to spin the tires in that loose ground. I would inch forward and try reverse again and got the same result. It just groaoaoaned and acted like it wanted to stall out. Granted, it was a steepish incline, but not that steep, I didn't think.

My choices were to wait for the stars to align so I could get a cell signal to call a tow truck, or throw caution to the wind and try to power into a sharp forward turn and hope like hell the Jeep didn't roll over or I didn't run into a tree that I thought would prevent me from making the full radius. Guess what I did? Here's a hint: I did not have to reach for my AAA card.

I worried too much about a roll-over, but I did come within inches of the tree. Still, the KJ came out on the dirt road and I celebrated with a couple squirts of albuterol. WHEW!

So, I do some research on the problem to see if it might have been discussed here before. That's when I discovered that this is actually a pretty common problem with the 42RLE ******. Gears too tall for reverse in sketchy terrain. I found several good posts on the subject, including this one:
...I did out line a "fix" to the problem maybe you missed it. knowing that you can not regear the transmission and the gears are not low enough then you need to change some thing out. the only thing that can be changed is the gears in the diff's. put the 4.10 gears in there and it will pull just fine until you put bigger tires on
Okay, so I already have bigger tires (245/75R-16). Does that mean even after a re-gear, the loss of power in reverse will still be an issue? Would regearing AND a transmission computer flash be an effective solution? Or maybe this could help alleviate the problem: LibertyTC illustrates and explains how to clean the IAC

I'd like to find the best solution. Not getting into situations I will need reverse in rugged terrain is not one of them. And for those who may ask, I did recently get a complete ****** flush and am using ATF+4 fluid and the levels were good my last oil & lube about a week ago. Also, there have been no error codes, except one warning occasionally: "Check TPMS System."

Got any sage advice?

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I to have suffered this problem but on tarmac not gravel

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When in those types of situations 4 full time is not what you need to be in. Full time splits the amount of power going to the front and back. So if the front gets say 40%(sorry u can't remember the %split) that leaves only 60% for the rear. If the front is bogged down and is trying to turn but can't. Itt taking power away from the rear. So you felt the bogging down effect. It this type of situation 4wd part would have been better. 4wd low would have been best. Anytime I'm off-roading in rough or sloppy​, or hilly I'm in 4wd low the whole time. Better power to the wheels less stress on the transmission. 4wd full time is for on road use not off.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the 242 t-case has full time. 42rle is the ******.

Do not use full-time off road. I did this by mistake as I was going over tarmac and forgot to shift back to part-time and started up the rock hill in full-time by mistake and was mumbling to myself....."wtf is wrong with my jeep"......well I was in full-time...shifted to 4-part time and all was better. What a difference. Full-time is not for off-road.

Couple of other times I had a little trouble in reverse backing up but I was in 4hi so I switched to 4-lo and all better. Don't forget about 4-lo, it is your lowest gear. (T-case in 4-lo and ****** in reverse is a pretty low gear ratio.)

Also, going forward don't forget just because you have the 42rle a/t doesn't mean you can't shift it. I have used it in 1st gear with the t-case in 4-low and that way the ****** will not shift around on you and will stay in the lowest gear and you will be in your max torque range going up a hill or something. If the ****** starts shifting around back and forth you need to stop it from doing that asap......it gets hot, hot, hot, shifting back and forth and not good for it. Easier on the ****** to just go to first gear.

Sorry, didn't mean to get carried away.

Dave

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Reverse in the 42RLE is weak. Even when new. Use part time or 4 low, I would've used 4low in your situation.

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, didn't mean to get carried away.
Oh no, don't apologize. I needed most all of that information. I know the stereotype about men is we never ask directions. That's never been a problem for me. What is a problem though, is not knowing I didn't know how to use 4WD. In my off road trips, I have always used either Full Time or 4Lo. I have never stuck it in Part Time. On snowy and icy highways, I use Full Time, so I guess I was right part of the time.

Too bad there's not a seminar for this. Even a video would be better than nothing, but there's not many good ones. Anyway, I appreciate the information. It could save me a lot of headache and will make me safer off road. Thanks.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have the same problem with weak reverse, and to make matters worse the torque converter starts to shimmy at the same time.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too bad there's not a seminar for this. Even a video would be better than nothing, but there's not many good ones. Anyway, I appreciate the information. It could save me a lot of headache and will make me safer off road. Thanks.

You can likely find a four-wheeling class or something similar in your area... I often see Offroad clubs will sometimes offer this as well. You can ride along with an experienced off-road driver, or have him/her ride along with you.. you'll go through courses designed to test you and teach you the various techniques and skills needed to overcome off-road obstacles.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep it's a common issue if you have the 42RLE and is made worse if you lift it,add bigger tires,and add weight(armor and such).

You can regear and it will help but the biggest solution is to use 4low.

If your on the trail and it's anything more then what a Subaru can handle you should be in 4low.Yeah your going to go slower,use more gas,but the control and cooling benefits are much greater.

When I wheel I'm always in 4low and the trans is only in 1st gear.Granted I do have the 45RFE so my 1st gear and reverse are the same 3:1.

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can likely find a four-wheeling class or something similar in your area... I often see Offroad clubs will sometimes offer this as well. You can ride along with an experienced off-road driver, or have him/her ride along with you.. you'll go through courses designed to test you and teach you the various techniques and skills needed to overcome off-road obstacles.
One of the first things I did, when I decided to buy the KJ, was to see if there were any local clubs. The closest club is 80 miles away. They have a website, so I posted about 4-wheelin' in my area. No replies.

There's no 4-wheelin' class here either. One of my friends is the local CHP commander. I think I'll ask her about it and see if maybe one or two of her troops, who are avid 4-wheelers, would be willing to give a class. They already do a yearly class for older drivers (standard 2WD stuff), so maybe this is a possibility.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the first things I did, when I decided to buy the KJ, was to see if there were any local clubs. The closest club is 80 miles away. They have a website, so I posted about 4-wheelin' in my area. No replies.

There's no 4-wheelin' class here either. One of my friends is the local CHP commander. I think I'll ask her about it and see if maybe one or two of her troops, who are avid 4-wheelers, would be willing to give a class. They already do a yearly class for older drivers (standard 2WD stuff), so maybe this is a possibility.

Good luck. I hope you find something.. it'll be a shame if not. You'd think in CA there'd be something somewhere within a reasonable distance. I guess not.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score

Jim, isn't there a lot of forest/mountains in your area of Nor-Cal? Must be some logging roads etc with off-roading opportunities? I am surprised with the beautiful lake/mountain pics you put up that there is not a 4x4 club up there somewhere? Must be a lot of State Land/wilderness areas?

Dave

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SELEC-TRAC™
The Selec-Trac™ transfer case is the heart of the Selec-Trac™ 4WD system. The difference is its Open-Centre Differential. In the 4 part-time position, this differential is locked and the system operates the same as Command-Trac™. In the 4 full-time position, the centre differential is open and allows the front and rear axles to rotate at different speeds when turning corners on high-traction surfaces or while driving over any kind of road surface. The Selec-Trac™ transfer case delivers the added convenience of not having to shift back-and-forth between 2WD and 4WD.

2 WHEEL DRIVE:
• Front axle spins freely
• Power sent to rear wheels
4 PART TIME:
• High-range, for temporary conditions that require extra traction
• Locks centre differential; all four wheels rotate in unison
• Not to be used on dry pavement
4 FULL TIME:
• High-range, for year-round traction, wet or dry
• Centre differential allows the front and rear axle to rotate at different speeds
NEUTRAL:
• Use for towing your Jeep® vehicle behind another vehicle
• Does not require uncoupling driveshafts
4LO:
• Use for severe off-road situations
• Increases available engine torque by 2.72:1
• Slow speed to 3-5 km/h (2-3 mph), put transmission in Neutral
• Engage 4 LO and return transmission to desired gear

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f207/explanation-command-trac-select-trac-26712/

What year does command trac w/ the 231 TF case start?

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'd think in CA there'd be something somewhere within a reasonable distance. I guess not.
California is a really big state and, believe it or not, there are large portions of it that are quite remote. I live in a pretty large county, area-wise, but the population is only about 25,000, in tourist season. Eighty miles to a metropolitan area is average for Quincy. One direction it's Reno, NV, the other direction it's Chico, CA.

Jim, isn't there a lot of forest/mountains in your area of Nor-Cal? Must be some logging roads etc with off-roading opportunities? I am surprised with the beautiful lake/mountain pics you put up that there is not a 4x4 club up there somewhere? Must be a lot of State Land/wilderness areas?
There is all of that, except the clubs. I've asked around. There's a lot of very good photographers too, but no clubs. Geeks everywhere, but no computer clubs. There's a garden club, but it struggles. Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts... struggling. Gun club... it's a strong club, but I don't own a gun anymore. E Clampus Vitus is really just a drinking club here and I haven't had a drink in almost 32 years (April 19). Sexy girls are comin' outa the woodwork here and you'd think they'd be hangin' out somewhere. Nobody will tell me though. :(

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
California is a really big state and, believe it or not, there are large portions of it that are quite remote. I live in a pretty large county, area-wise, but the population is only about 25,000, in tourist season. Eighty miles to a metropolitan area is average for Quincy. One direction it's Reno, NV, the other direction it's Chico, CA.

There is all of that, except the clubs. I've asked around. There's a lot of very good photographers too, but no clubs. Geeks everywhere, but no computer clubs. There's a garden club, but it struggles. Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts... struggling. Gun club... it's a strong club, but I don't own a gun anymore. E Clampus Vitus is really just a drinking club here and I haven't had a drink in almost 32 years (April 19). Sexy girls are comin' outa the woodwork here and you'd think they'd be hangin' out somewhere. Nobody will tell me though. :(

^^^Guns, booze, and sexy women.....need a 1960's conversion van with shag carpeting and porthole windows and...:gr_grin:....:happy175:

Dave

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a chance to rehearse that backing up in 4W-Lo thing you guys told me about. Jeez, I don't know why I didn't think to try that before. It was so easy. It's a real confidence builder. I started to go across a flooded creek yesterday and found myself in some really soft, mushy mud and gravel/rocks. But I put it in 4W-Lo and backed out like it wasn't even a thing.

I talked to my friend, who is the area CHP commander, and asked her if it was possible for a couple of the cop 4-wheelers to do a class for us citizens who feel it would help. They already do a class for seniors to brush up on basic rules of the road, so I thought they might do a class for wannabe 4-wheelers and people who have all-wheel drive cars. She thought it was a good idea and will see if they can't do something in the Fall, just in time for bad weather.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have very limited off roading experience but wouldn't you want to be in 4Lo before you start crossing a flooded creek with unknown conditions under the water?

Latest posts

Members online