04 kj speedo drops out what else can it be

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deeuubee

Reaction score
The speedometer drops out intermittently after whether driving city or highway. It could happen 5 minutes out or 45 minutes out.
It's not consistent. It comes back 10-15 minutes mostly. Sometimes the CEL stays on (code says speed sensor, clear it with scan tool) sometimes it just resets itself.
Some days, it doesn't drop out at all.
I changed the rear axle sensor and inspected the pig tail ( it looks brand new). No frayed wires or rubbing anywhere. Jeep is daily driver and seen limited gravel roads only 85K miles.
Could it be computer or speedo itself? What else can I check.
I'm giving the jeep to a new driver and about to do a major work up (shocks, brakes, tires), but don't want to spend that kind of money until I fix the speedo.
Ideas?

Tomahawk674

Reaction score
Hello I have the same exact problem as you. Try pressing your left knee into the dash... I know it sounds crazy, but that makes it start working again. I have a buzzing sound in that general area. I don't know if some relays are going bad, or if I have some sort of electrical problem close to the fuse box. Putting pressure on that area makes the speedometer start working again, I'm not crazy!

I'll take it to the Jeep dealer soon and see if they can track it down.

TheZombieNinja3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 04 renegade was having issues with the speedo not working. It worked as yours did for the previous owner but went completely out for me and stopped all together. I ended up replacing The rear ABS sensor and rear speed sensor I believe. I do know for sure I had a grounded wired as well. I'll look at the paperwork from the mechanic and let you know.

deeuubee

Reaction score
Wouldn't you know it, 5 days and it hasn't gone out. :shrug:
It was going out everyday last week.

I don't have ABS and already changed the speed sensor.
I ordered the front springs, shocks and brakes today, so I'm committed to fixing this.

Tomahawk674 - I'm going on a long trip, I'll try it when it goes out Thanks.

Latest posts

Members online