03 KJ Fuel Pump replacement ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redsnake

Reaction score
So the fuel pump on my wife's '03 KJ Limited 3.7 w/ 166K miles finally gave up. Not bad all things considered... I have 0 fuel pressure at the Injector Rail Schrader valve and the pump has been loud and whiny for as long as I can remember.

No on to my question. I've been ready every forum post I can find and from the post I could find I kept reading that the Fuel Tank would need to be dropped in order to do this job. However, today I found a copy of the Jeep Service Manual and it says that "Fuel tank removal will not be necessary for fuel pump module removal. Access is from the rear cargo area."

I know there is an Access Plate (albeit mine is covered in what looks like a factory colored rhino lining) but I didn't realize the Fuel Pump could be changed from this location.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? Seems like it'd save me a LOT of time by Not having to drop the Fuel Tank.

Thanks for the input.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I beleive that is in regards to the fuel filter not the fuel pump. I mean I know what you posted said fuel pump but are you sure it didn't say filter?

Im certain dropping the tank is the only way.

Last edited:

Redsnake

Reaction score
I beleive that is in regards to the fuel filter not the fuel pump. I mean I know what you posted said fuel pump but I was always under the assumption it had to be dropped.

That's what I was thinking before reading the OE Service Manual... As it states in the FUEL PUMP MODULE / REMOVAL / Fuel tank removal will not be necessary...

Kinda why I posted here to get some real-world hands-on input. :)

CobraNutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the FSM...Seems to be hit or miss...

Section 14 - Fuel System
Page 15

REMOVAL

The fuel pump module is divided into 2 sections,
upper and lower. To service the check (control) valve,
replace only the upper section. To service the fuel
gauge sending unit, remove the upper section. To service
the electric fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator or
primary inlet filter, remove both sections and replace
lower section

This vehicle may or may not be equipped
with an access plate. This plate is located on
floorpan inside vehicle at rear cargo area (Fig.
20). If not equipped with an access plate, the
fuel tank must first be lowered to gain access
to fuel pump module.
If equipped with an access plate, fuel tank
removal will not be necessary for fuel pump
module removal. Access is from rear cargo area.

Redsnake

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! I was able to pull and change out the fuel pump and fuel filter last night through the access panel in the rear cargo area.

I think it took more time to clean off the 'rhinoling' type material the Factory puts down than actually changing out the Fuel Pump. Thanks goodness for a good heat gun & screw drivers. Also, the filter was a pain to get swapped out. Tough to access the lower nut that holds it on w/out dropping the tank, but doable. Also helpful to have an extra set of hands to help guide the 2 upper fuel filter 'hoses' back up to the top of the tank for attachment.

Here's a few pics:

You must be registered for see images attach

Out w/the old...

Back together and ready to get the carpet/pad back in place.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This should be stickied or something. Just so others know to check if they have the access plate or not before dropping the tank assuming it has to be dropped.

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if a 2005 Libergade would have this removable plate? I have no fuel pressure at all. There is 12v getting to the pump. I have to measure whether or not the ground to the fuel pump is getting through the PCM and if so, replace probably the whole module... Hope it has the plate....

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Mark peel the carpet back and have a peek in there. I hope it does for you.

If this was to be sticky'd one word of caution before removing the access cover is to disconnect the battery.
After all, one spark around gas/vapour and you could have a bad day. & NO Smoking anything...:mexsmoke:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APjG1FldZhU

Last edited:

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably a good idea to do this outdoors or with some good ventilation and not in a closed garage with a water heater or other open flame around...

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only the early KJs have the access panel...not sure when they stopped fitting it.
On my Export 2002 CRD there are pop-rivets holding down the carpeting in the cargo area that have to be drilled out to be able to flip up the carpet section and get access to the top of the tank.

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked by running my hand in. No access door. :(

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So here is a pile of all the things you remove to gain access to and remove the tank.

Attachments

• DSCN2684.jpg
    DSCN2684.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 43

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So those lines and the electrical connections are probably the worse part of this job. Have I EVER told you how much I HATE those little red safety locks on the electrical connectors? Any time you are in an awkward position they are almost impossible to release. The important thing to remember at this point is all those red latches on electrical connectors pull out to then enable you to push down on the actual latch on the back top of the connector near where the wires go in. Probably even more important is to remember that the plastic locks on the air vent (white) and fuel lines (blue) actually PUSH IN to release. They look like you might want to hook a screwdriver under them and pull out, but don't do it! I was warned and pushed in and each one came off easy. Now to haul the tank out in the driveway and pour hot soapy water from a bucket on the module area and brush to get all the dirt off before I open it. I have no hose bibs open outside because of still a foot of snow on the ground and below freezing temps each night. By the way - I read somewhere that one or two (I used 1 diagonally) ratchet tiedowns (I used motorcycle type) work better than a floor jack to lower tank. It was very easy and I didn't have the damn jack in the way! I also siphoned all but a couple gallons of gas out of the tank first.

Attachments

• DSCN2697.jpg
    DSCN2697.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCN2698.jpg
    DSCN2698.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCN2699.jpg
    DSCN2699.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 42

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time for the ole switcheroo.

Attachments

• DSCN2700.jpg
    DSCN2700.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCN2701.jpg
    DSCN2701.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN2702.jpg
    DSCN2702.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 36

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New fuel module is in. Ginned-up a makeshift spanner (with mechanical advantage supplied by a 2x4) to get the module locking ring back into place. Failed. Tried a hammer and punch. Failed. Got a bigger hammer...failed again. Currently waiting for a neighbor to get home so I can apply both persuasions simultaneously... Think I will go install the anti-gas burp device while I am waiting.

Attachments

• DSCN2706.jpg
    DSCN2706.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 31

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Success! Runs like a dream - or just like it did before the old fuel pump gave up.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
This would make a good addition to the "How To" section. :waytogo:

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lines to Fuel Module

MarkJ, when you say push in on the blue and white connectors, do you push in from two side tabs 90 degrees to the length of the fuel line or push in on the end of the hose parallel with the length of the line with a tool like used on Ford fuel lines? Please give more detail on removing these lines.

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The white tab on mine (2005) was on the air/vent line that goes through the hole in the frame and plugs into the steel pipe next to the gas filler hose. The white tab was perpendicular to the hose/connector. See the arrow pointing to the steel pipe in the picture? The connector hooks to that hidden steel pipe. You press in on the white tab and it pulls right off. It's already off in this pic - you pull it back through the frame because it is attached to the tank. The blue tabs are similar to the white tabs and the same orientation but larger because the hose and connector are larger. You can see the arrow pointing to them in the next two pics. The first pic is looking up from underneath on the front end of the tank. You can see a little blue spot. This is a hose that connects to the tank and goes through a subframe rail towards the front of the jeep. This one must disconnect as well. The final pic is the best and shows the fuel line still attached when I dropped the tank. This is a good pic of the blue tab that you push in. The whit tab I mentioned first looks similar to the blue ones only smaller. I used a needle nose pliar on the first blue tab because it was in a tight spot and it came right off. The other blue and the white connector came off with just finger pressure. The tab doesn't move in much but you can feel it give. Hope this is clear.

Attachments

• DSCN2696.jpg
    DSCN2696.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN2698.jpg
    DSCN2698.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCN2686.jpg
    DSCN2686.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Latest posts