'03 Jeep Liberty Mopar Radiator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrad

Reaction score
Hey folks, new here but I'm hoping someone can help me out. I have an '03 Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7 that I picked up a couple years ago. I'm going to swap out a radiator that has a crack along the upper driver's side. I ordered an '03 Mopar radiator (52080120AE) from rockauto. Showed up today but it doesn't have any in-radiator transmission cooling lines, great.

I figured out after the fact that my Jeep was produced early enough in '02 that it has a 45RFE transmission with in-radiator cooling lines. Also noticed the cracked radiator has brackets to support the A/C condenser.

So Mopar has two '02 radiators listed but the first one is the one I received from rockauto and it won't work. My question is (before I buy the wrong one), do any of these have in-radiator lines and brackets to mount the A/C condenser?

52080120AE
$205 (amazon)

52080118AB
$314 (amazon)

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the first one you listed for 02‐05 for $205 from Amazon. It has provision for in radiator trans lines. Bought it in December, been to busy to put it in. Doesn't have a chrysler or mopar indicator on it, but seems of good quality.

mrad

Reaction score
Interesting, maybe rockauto didn't send me a 52080120AE. Guess I'll ask them. I also contacted both the amazon sellers for more details.

Didn't think buying a decent radiator would be this hard. Maybe I'll just consider an aftermarket all aluminum one if I can't find what I need. Either way, appreciate the reply.

Reactions: JRB

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought mine I consulted one of the online mopar parts dealer with my vin, then googleated that part number, I've done that on more than a few occasions to be sure I get the right part.

Reactions: klc

mrad

Reaction score
Funny thing is I confirmed by VIN on mopar.com, came up with 52080120AE and then ordered that same part number from rockauto.

I'll ask rockauto about it.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, sounds like you may have been shipped the wrong part.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny thing is I confirmed by VIN on mopar.com, came up with 52080120AE and then ordered that same part number from rockauto.

I'll ask rockauto about it.

Good luck with that. Rockauto is 100% automated, there are no people to talk to. You can fill out a thing saying you got the wrong part, but you have to ship the wrong part back (on their dime) and they will ship you another once you ship that part back. Just went through this.

mrad

Reaction score
I hear you. I used to be able to talk to someone there but that was years ago, maybe 2010. Even then it was obvious they weren't set up for calls.
I ended up just returning it.

Found a discontinued new Mopar (2AMR2481AA) on ebay for $170 with accurate pics showing ports so I bought it.

Last edited:
Reactions: klc

Offroad Bob

OffroadBob
Reaction score
I’m on my third radiator! They crack on the seam where the return line from engine comes back in to the radiator. The last one I got was from NAPA and was under $200 and has a lifetime warranty. It’s been in my 92 Sport longer than the original and the other one from Orellys ! It bolted right up and all lines as well

mrad

Reaction score
Yep, I'm sure there's a decent amount of aftermarket radiators out there working just fine. I already know though...I'm 100% the guy that gets the leak...right after I bolt it in, ha.

So, Mopar for me. If it doesn't work out, I'll just chalk it up to right process, bad outcome.

I'd probably try aftermarket if it wasn't the cooling system.

Water pump failed 2 years ago, now the radiator, so I just went ahead and bought the radiator, both hoses, thermostat, new reservoir, pressure cap, overflow hose and heater hose. I figure why wait.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m on my third radiator! They crack on the seam where the return line from engine comes back in to the radiator. The last one I got was from NAPA and was under $200 and has a lifetime warranty. It’s been in my 92 Sport longer than the original and the other one from Orellys ! It bolted right up and all lines as well
That is what my buddy replaced 11 times in a year and a half, lifetime warranty doesn't mean its cheaper or even good. He missed out on some days of work, add in a lot of antifreeze etc

mrad

Reaction score
My radiator showed up today. The box has a Magneti Marelli/Mopar label on it and is also marked CU2481. There's a Magneti Marelli/Mopar install guide inside. The radiator sticker states it's a Spectra CU2481 from January 2016. Radiator has a Mopar part number sticker too (2AMR2481AA).

Couldn't find any part numbers molded onto the radiator itself.

Did Magneti ever contract Spectra to produce Mopar radiators? Or is this just a new old stock Spectra with some Mopar labels added after the fact?

You must be registered for see images attach

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Funny to see the Magneti Marelli name on a radiator. I thought they only made automotive ignition parts.

Long ago when I was wrenching on European cars an Alfa Romeo sold in Italy had Magneti Marelli ignition parts. If it were sold in Germany it had Bosch parts; in England, Lucas. My parts man would have had a good laugh if I'd asked for a Magnetti Marelli radiator for an American Jeep.

Be sure the polarity of your radiator hoses are correct before you hook them up!!

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder the same thing, got a "mopar" thermostat from dealer a while back and it says motorad on it, but also has the chrysler emblem. I hope they are just sourcing work out but still holding them to a higher standard.

mrad

Reaction score
I'm hoping the same because I'm done, I'm just going to give this one a shot.

I've been playing '02 radiator roulette for two weeks now. Local dealers didn't have it. No dealers/sellers online could confirm what they'd ship would have ports.

This ebay maybe-Mopar was the only one I could actually see before buying.

Reaction score
A little off topic but I am questioning the entire Mopar sourcing at this time. Replaced three different molded plastic vacuum tubes under the hood over the past couple of years. First one, before the pandemic supply nightmare started, came in Mopar labeled sealed clear bag, with the usual Mopar paper tag wired to it. Perfect replica of the original part. Second one came in random box with tag but no bag. Looked new but is shorter than the original. Third one came yesterday with only a green sticker saying "simple part" and Mopar part number. It's made from thinner plastic than the original. It also took them 9 months to ship that one to me. All three were advertised and ordered as Mopar parts through Jeep dealers since there is no aftermarket.

mrad

Reaction score
On that subject, it's slim pickings for some parts. I figured I would replace the rubber isolators on the bottom and sides of the radiator, seeing as their 20 years old. Dealers no longer stock them and there's no aftermarket reproduction that I can find. None on ebay or amazon right now either.

I know it's an older vehicle but I was surprised, seeing how popular they are.

JibeHo22

Reaction score
52080120AE does NOT have integral transmission cooler according to my parts info.
My parts info does not list this part - 52080118AB .

My guess is they changed the design from integral trans cooler to separate trans cooler after your Liberty was built. So the 52080118AB is probably the old design radiator with integral trans cooler, but it is probably no longer manufactured. Sounds like you may need to convert your vehicle to have a separate trans cooler. This is really a superior design anyway. With the integral trans cooler, there can be a leak inside the radiator/trans cooler causing fluids to mix, and you would not know there is a leak until there was a 2nd order failure elsewhere in the power train.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.