03 Jeep KJ Dies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RChris173

Full Access Member
Reaction score
03 Jeep KJ Dies [Edit: revived it! :)]

Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett, Michael Jackson, Billy Mays, now my poor Jeep Liberty. :(

I think it's the battery. It was running fine before, when I got back in it to leave, nothing, no noise, just the back gate lock and dimming on the instrument panel. I waited, turned everything off, nothing. Waited again, heard it try to start, but couldn't. The battery light was stayed on in the panel. Got assistance with someone with jumper cables and was able to get it to start, but lights were dimming on way back. Let it run at home after idling for 15 minutes and it would not start back up.

Battery was manufactured March 2006, mopar I believe. Any suggestions on battery model or other potential problems besides the battery?

Thanks!

---
[Edit] Revived Jeep here:

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showpost.php?p=381493&postcount=25

Last edited:

Idaho08KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is when Jeep was using Exide as the OEM battery, which are not that great IMO. Your KJ uses a Group 34 battery i believe.

RChris173

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been there done that twice now - definitely sounds like the battery is going out (or has gone out and won't return).

I'm running a battery I picked up at Autozone, already had to replace it once but it was under warranty. When this one dies I'll spring for something better.

Idaho08KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go with an Interstate. They are great batteries. If you have the cash, an Optima red top is a great option as well.

RChris173

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the service manual it says group size 86, but after looking up the model, it says Group 34, I'm confused...

I'll go to the car part store tomorrow and get new battery, but I can't bring the Jeep unless I get jump started again, I'm afraid it will die again...

Is there a way I can easily test the battery, or should I just get a new one?

Model of dead battery: BA034600EX (CAT NO: 34-600).

Last edited:

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a voltmeter check the battery voltage, then if possible jump start it and check the voltage again to make sure the alternator is charging, you should see around 12.2-12.6 for a good battery and that should come up to 13.8-14.4 with the engine running.

Otherwise if your going to a place that sells batteries, auto parts store, pull the old battery out and take it with and they can put it on a load test but i'm betting its the battery.

Come to think of it, take the old battery with anyway, otherwise you will get dinged for an extra $5 not having an exchange battery with! If you can get it jump started just get it running and drive to the store, pull out old battery, get new battery and put it in and drive off! Been there done that.

I recommend to everyone that you get a cheap jump starter, i got one from Wal-Mart for $30 and its rated for 300 amps and will jump start just about any car or truck i have had to use it on. It's a lot better than carrying around jumper cables in my opinion. I haven't carried a set of jumper cables in quite some time now and i can't count how many times i have got someone with a dead battery going again with that jumper starter. I usually kept it plugged into the rear power outlet on the minivan we had before the KJ, then whenever the ignition was on that jump starter was getting trickle charged so it was ready when i needed it. I haven't plugged it in on the KJ yet but i can do the same thing and its always ready when i need it.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh and its a Group 34, 600 CCA, that's what i have in my 03'. That supersedes the old Group 86 that the manual shows.

RChris173

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh and its a Group 34, 600 CCA, that's what i have in my 03'. That supersedes the old Group 86 that the manual shows.

Thanks for that,

I don't have volt meter readily available, but I think I'll head to the auto store with battery, and let em test it. Sensing that I'm going to have to get a new battery. I've heard talk about the hermetically sealed gel batteries, and that they last longer. Maybe I should get one of those? Is it worth it?

Just wondering how long my type of existing battery should last since it's only about 3.25 years since manufactured. I see it has a prorated warranty for up to 6 years.

Lancer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, I think that the sealed batteries (which I think the Optimas and Odyssies are) are well worth it - especially if you go offroad. A good battery is an investment!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
In FL, you're lucky if you get 2 or 3 years out of a battery.....:mad:

Jeepin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It tends to get a little cold here in IA in the winter, so I always get a higher CCA battery than OEM. If you do get a new one, I'd recommend a higher CCA of 750+.

Also from reading many other posts, batteries cause a ton of problems with the Liberty, so may as well give it a good one :).

RChris173

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in Florida, so I guess I'm lucky to get 3+ years out of it. I'll be taking it to the auto store and have it tested and let ya'll know what happens.

Thanks again! Oh andJeepin05, what kind of problems did the batteries cause to the Liberties?:eek:

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I am in Florida, so I guess I'm lucky to get 3+ years out of it. I'll be taking it to the auto store and have it tested and let ya'll know what happens.

Thanks again! Oh andJeepin05, what kind of problems did the batteries cause to the Liberties?b:eek:

I've heard it just messes with everything....:confused:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Why do you only manage to squeeze 2 or 3 years out of a motor vehicle battery in Florida?

The heat. Starting up in over 90 degrees 80% of the time.

I bet in extremely cold areas, batteries don't last long because of the cold...

Jeepin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well no personal experiences yet (fingers crossed), but others have reported a variety of issues.

I think a crap battery can cause the Jeep to run rough, encounter weird interior lighting problems etc.

Sorry don't have many other details, but I always read the forums and it appears the battery is quite often the culprit for odd problems.

RChris173

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm still waiting for a ride to the auto store, I found a old Sears engine tester and it was reading 10.2 volts off of the disconnected battery. I'm guessing that means it's very low on its charge. While I had it connected, some of the small electronics like door locks still worked.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
In the igloo country( hehe) we get cold weather. The secret here is to keep the alternator charging fully, as you know you loose up to 50% of the battery's capacity below 0 degrees C...oops 32F for you southern folk. So any morning thats say -20C you may or may not get the engine to turn over fast enough to start the vehicle.....ergo flooding and soaking the plugs, then a tow to the shop for new plugs and oil change, then probably a new battery on top of the already large bill. Usually what happens in my experience, a cell will go bad in the battery and doesn't show itself until the minus temperatures hit in January. That same battery will usually never fail you in June, but come a nippy February morning....:eek:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
The heat. Starting up in over 90 degrees 80% of the time.

I bet in extremely cold areas, batteries don't last long because of the cold...

Makes sense!
Here in the South West along the 49th Parallel where most of the people in B.C. live, we don't worry about too hot or too cold. That's why I asked!
When I lived in Alberta, I used an electric battery blanket in the winter months.

Latest posts

Members online