03 3.7 wont runn sat for 2 years

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

QuadCam

Reaction score
hey im garret,first post new kj owner

backstory on the jeep,it was my cousins car she never drove it and it sat in a garage for the last 2 years and she gave it to me.it has 35k on the odo.it has a full tank of 1.5+ year old gas in the tank and it wont start for more then a split second or stay running with out starter fluid.i know the gas is bad.i added a can of seafoam to help clean it out abit before i dump the fuel but it seems it doesnt have any fuel pressure.if i press the little valve nothing comes out.i work at a toyota shop so i have access to tank hoist's and lifts plus tools.i need advice

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
disconnect fuel line from hard line that runs to rear of vehicle, extend it with another hose and clamp run line into a gas can or two, jumper the fuel pump relay, pump out ALL fuel, use it on a bonfire.

Bottom line, you need new fuel before you can accomplish anything. there isn't a darn thing you can add to the fuel to make it good.

once you have new fuel in it, let us know how it runs.

And don't ever use starting fluid on a gas vehicle. you could blow out the intake.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed that it'd be in your best interest to drain all of the fuel out before trying to fire it again.

If it has no fuel pressure, it sounds like the pump could be bad, or the thing got so varnished up it can't pump well. Doesn't seem like it'd varnish that badly in 18 months - my Camaro sat for almost 6 months without being started and the gas seemed just fine. I don't think the fuel is your issue, but it'd be a good idea to change it anyways.

My recommendation is to first drain the tank, then refill with a couple gallons of fresh fuel (I wouldn't top it off in the event you need to drop the tank and swap out the pump). Since you work at a shop, see if you can borrow a fuel pressure tester overnight, and verify with the key on that it does have fuel pressure after refilling with a couple gallons of fresh. If it has pressure, then I'd give it another go at firing it up.

IIRC, these things have an integrated pump and filter, and they are somewhere around $110. Can access it thru the floor in the cargo area, or can drop the tank to change it out.

Agreed also - I wouldn't use starting fluid in the KJ. I've used it in old school carburated applications, but I wouldn't try it in a modern engine. Sensors, weaker pistons, plastic intakes. I'd be nervous to.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If it sat for two years I would be draining all of the gas out, installing new plugs, changing the oil etc before I try and fire it up. Sitting that long it has to have drawn moisture into everything. Also check the air cleaner for mice nests and also wiring etc around the engine.
Unless she had it prepared to sit for an extended period its hard to say what else needs to be done

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it sat for two years I would be draining all of the gas out, installing new plugs, changing the oil etc before I try and fire it up. Sitting that long it has to have drawn moisture into everything. Also check the air cleaner for mice nests and also wiring etc around the engine.
Unless she had it prepared to sit for an extended period its hard to say what else needs to be done

Really good point, didn't think to mention that. In HS, a teacher brought their Jetta into Autoshop because it was running like crap. My buddy and I were trustworthy, so the teacher handed us the keys to check it out. We found a couple lbs of dog food choking up the airbox. It was on the supply side of the filter, so nothing was making it's way into the engine, but it was enough to significantly block airflow.

Damn vermin.

QuadCam

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guy.we got the jeep to my work and started going through it and the pump went south.I have a new one waiting for me at work when I get in to put in it.I'll keep you guys posted

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Jacob789456

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My KJ sat for 6 years 11 months without running. Change all the fluids, that is my recommendation. My OEM fuel pump went bad while it sat, it was completely varnished up. They are simple to change through the access door under the back carpet, and while you are in there, change the so-called "unserviceable" fuel filter. Autozone carries them, anywhere else does not have them in the system. AZ Filters/Fuel Filter (FF903DL) | 2003 Jeep Liberty 4WD 6 Cylinders K 3.7L SFI SOHC | AutoZone.com

Change the oil
Change the fuel
Give the pump 12v directly and see if you can hear it or if it builds pressure

QuadCam

Reaction score
replaced the pump tonight after a minor hiccup see purrs like a tiger!