'02 vs '02 engine, stuck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alec_b

Reaction score
Hi all-

I'm hoping you guys can verify something for me. I'm having a nightmare of a time with a 2002 Liberty 3.7 4x4 at my shop. Build date 3/02.

It came in knocking like crazy, sold a motor on it. The shop originally got me an engine out of an 04 or 05 to put in it, which I didn't find out until later would not fit. Well I've finally got an '02 motor here, but the crank only has a 25mm opening in the end, whereas the old engine has a 45mm opening. I know this relates to the difference in transmissions used in the Liberties, but I've also read that the crank reluctor was changed sometime in late 03/early 04.

It appears that there is a "ring" in the end of the crankshaft that can be removed, and that would make it the correct size that I need. I do, however, need verification that the '02 motor I have with the small crank has the same reluctor as the '02 shell I have with the larger torque converter.

If it helps, the VIN of the engine I have here is: 1J8GL58K92W302274

Thanks everyone!

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope you'll refer your customer to this site after to become a member? lol
Would love to help you out but I have NO idea what you are talking about and now I have to find out what the heck a reluctor is haha I'm sure a few of the guys here will be able to help but most are probably away for Christmas and such so be patient

mdmaroon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I copied and pasted this from one of the stickies in this forum:

So now if you want a 04-05 engine in your 02-03 here is what you do…..
1. Strip off the 04-05 to a plain long block (no sensors, manifolds ect)
2. Purchase a 02-03 crankshaft kit comes with all new bearings about $280
3. Now replace the cam gears from the 02-03 on to the 04-05
4. Put in the crank kit. You can still use all the timing chains and guides
5. Now switch over all your manifolds Ex, In, Injec, all sensors
don’t forget to switch over the crank pos. sensor they are diff.
6. Install the engine.

Dunno if that helps, but there it is. It's from the sticky topic called "Finally Diff in 3.7" or something like that.