02 Liberty V8 Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If people are running to problems, I would like to know what problems they are running into so that we can see why so many people seem to never complete the swap!

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No doubt, they find out they're in over their head once they're too deep into the project. You have to have good fabricating skills, as well as a good imagination and vision. Back when I did my 4.3 Sammy conversion, there were no kits available. This was back around 1993, so I also didn't have the luxury of jumping onto the internet for info and guidance from others who may have done it. Trial and error. Like for one, there was no easy way to have the exhaust headers/manifolds exit out the back or bottom, there was firewall too close behind and suspension/steering stuff below that was in the way. I redesigned the headers and had them exit from the front of the engine where there was plenty of room, and looped the pipes around and back. Someone else may have said "oops, uh-oh now what" to the same problem and given up. My V8 Datsun, did that back in the 80's. Again, no kit for such a thing. Yeah I too heard the "you're nuts" about both projects, but they worked and worked well. I bet somebody said the same thing to the crazy guy who first thought of lifting a Liberty.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
A lot of times not much thought process goes into what all it takes to actually do one. Just like some have said they'll do it in a weekend or so.
Years ago before computers, electric doo-dads it was simpler, so much so.
I mean we've built VW bugs on CJ frames, SBC in behind the front seat in a Corvair with tube frame, Firebird on a Blazer frame, big block 32 Fords, lifted Dodge vans and ran 40s on them. Lots of crazy things back in the 70s, early 80s
But the KJ takes a bit more planning , more to swap, more to change than just pulling the 3.7 out and installing a ________ in it
Then you also have to think suspension, transmission, transfer case, front and rear diffs , wiring , exhaust, all of that takes not only mechanical skills and knowledge but some imagination .
Some of the ones that have been tried, booger welds would of been better than what they were trying to use.
So a lot of things to plan and lots of experience and knowledge needed for sure. I think most think its a drop in and go , well until they get the old out, the new started to drop in and then its " Oh crap " now what.