02 Liberty Seat - Your Opinion? And replacementment question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Signaleer

Reaction score
Hey Team,

Ed here. Completely new. 02 Liberty Limited, 144K, love it, save one thing....

The seat. I've read the thread on replacing with Corbeau Moab seat (which I may do). But I was wondering if anyone knows that the seats in the '03-0x? were better than the 02? I feel like they are too short - from butt to knee and not wide enough.

Anyone feel similiar? Any other experience with aftermarket seats?

Thanks,

Ed.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya I agree the stock cloth seats are rigid (hard) and the side bolsters remove hip room.
I like the looks of those Moab seats, but anytime you get into seat swaps you get involved with electrical issues related to year/ model, airbag, belts wiring etc, so I will leave it to those that have swapped out in a kj/ others to chime in regarding all that.
Another option would be to find seat covers and see if that helps and or look for some KJ leather seats that are more comfortable in my opinion.

Signaleer

Reaction score
Have Leather / Auto seats...

Hey mate, thanks for the reply.

You know, I was in a Wrangler Rubicon - loved those seats! Loved them! I would take a cloth seat vs. leather actually. I have the tan leather interior now.

Why would electronics or airbags be an issue? I didn't know these had anything to do with the seat save the adusters (which I don't care much about at this point).

Thanks for the reply!

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it helps
I know they changed the seats from '02 to '03
we looked at '02 then bought our '03 over a year later
I also know that the seats in my TJ are not to bad considering
but the seats in our '03 LTD were very nice out side of the light color
but even after 6 years we had no stains or cracks
we have taken it on SEVERAL trips up to 1000 miles 1 way and drove 700+ in 1 day
That being said if you could maybe you could swap just the seats ,no risers ect. from an '03 or newer
however do NOT get cloth it gets water marks very easily

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
On all models passenger airbag compatibility IS an issue.
ThunderbirdJunkie would simply replace HIS throne and let his passengers revel in the craptastic OEM seats majesty, however. If they wanted the good seat, they'd buy it :D

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ThunderbirdJunkie would simply replace HIS throne and let his passengers revel in the craptastic OEM seats majesty, however. If they wanted the good seat, they'd buy it :D

are you sure?
I know that the '04+ had a deal that knew if some one was in the seat
mostly because the dealer was trying to sell us on it being a useful feature
I also know that if you wreck an '02 good enough both air bags will go off even if there is no one in the seat ,witnessed a 1 car crash when she hit a light post
I am quite sure it was an '02 because it had rear drums and the 4X4 logo on the side not on the tail gate
I know that the '09 VW we have turns the passenger air bag off if no one
is in the seat

Signaleer

Reaction score
Are Seats in 03 different / better? And Airbag... (This is an ebay question)

There are 03 Liberty Seats on EBAY right now that are the same color - yeah they are not new, but I need a new seat even if it is used, as my recliner mechanism broke. If the seats in the 03 are better - I'll probably just go with that and hope that everything just bolts and plugs right in...

Thoughts?

Ed.

Signaleer

Reaction score
There are also some '08 cloth seats - and although I am leather....

There are 03 Liberty Seats on EBAY right now that are the same color - yeah they are not new, but I need a new seat even if it is used, as my recliner mechanism broke. If the seats in the 03 are better - I'll probably just go with that and hope that everything just bolts and plugs right in...

Thoughts?

Ed.

I would loose the electronics etc.

Ed.

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Find a pair of KK seats. Pretty sure they are direct bolt in replacement. And they are more comfortable and fold all the way flat forwards!

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just have them re-upholstered and shaped how you want them.

Signaleer

Reaction score
07 Liberty Limited Seats

I think I am going to go with a direct 07 set of replacements off ebay. Electronics would all work etc. Thanks everyone for the replies.

Ed.

barryh

Reaction score
Kj Liberty seats

Hi Signaleer
I have a 2004 limited which has leather seats that are in as good as new condition. I also find that the seating is not very comfortable, and as you suggest I feel that the seat is too short. I am about 6ft and around 14st but I must admit that I have difficulty in finding space for my feet on a longer journey. The Limited has electric in and out and front up and down with manual control for the backrest, but all this does not work out for me. So far I have owned the KJ for about 4 months but have only driven it about 300 miles so I am hoping that it all settles down when I go on holidays. I will keep an eye on your posts to see how you get on. barryh