02 Liberty Renegade Limited...Resurrection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LaneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I could. I would need to have the parts first, which i should soon.

I'd swap the whole K-member and put your suspension on it, and depending on which trans you have based off your year, either swap the trans, or swap the output housing with transfercase, then driveshafts.

How much would you charge? I'm considering it. Might be a little while off, though.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
parts and labor would have it somewhere roughly around$1500 to $1700, but that would be
all new fluids,
trans filter kit,
front driveshaft with new cv's if necessary
rear driveshaft with new ujoints
transmission or output housing depending on what's necessary
transfercase (depending on what I have at the time, could be 242 or 231, I can get either if need be)
transfercase shifter bracket, cable, handle, boot
engine harness (swap whole harness to get factory tcase position light wires to be factory spec. and work)
front crossmember with dana 30A, both cv shafts, complete end to end tho I can swap your suspension over. Also has steering rack etc. but like i said it can be swapped to yours if you wish
Labor and time to do it would make up the rest, minimum of 2 days to do, if I have all the parts here and ready to go before hand

LaneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
parts and labor would have it somewhere roughly around$1500 to $1700, but that would be
all new fluids,
trans filter kit,
front driveshaft with new cv's if necessary
rear driveshaft with new ujoints
transmission or output housing depending on what's necessary
transfercase (depending on what I have at the time, could be 242 or 231, I can get either if need be)
transfercase shifter bracket, cable, handle, boot
engine harness (swap whole harness to get factory tcase position light wires to be factory spec. and work)
front crossmember with dana 30A, both cv shafts, complete end to end tho I can swap your suspension over. Also has steering rack etc. but like i said it can be swapped to yours if you wish
Labor and time to do it would make up the rest, minimum of 2 days to do, if I have all the parts here and ready to go before hand

Sounds good. I'll let you know when I can find the time/money to make it up that way.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since the black KJ sold, and the 88 MJ is erstwhile damaged and non-functional and has one problem leading to another and so on (i.e. no point fixing one thing until I'm ready to just restore it), that left me without a vehicle. Unfortunately, that meant that I had a few options;

1.) Buy a beater
2.) Borrow a friend's beater
3.) Get more excercise (walk, ride bike)
4.) Screw option 3.
5.) Drop the 4.7 project for the moment, buy another 3.7 (got a "deal" at $1787 for one. I miss the price of 4.0's), drop it in orange KJ, detail it, fix up some minor issues, have it detailed, and drive it.

Chose option 5. I didn't want anything to do with a rusty, clunky, just-get-me-by vehicle. It's not what I want, but it works. I'll be buying another KJ with a bad 3.7 within the next month or so to do the 4.7 swap on. Once done, tested, proven, and finalized, I will play musical KJ bodies and swap the guts into the orange body, so I end up with the one I want.

end result;

You must be registered for see images attach

Just need to put nicer rims on, replace driver's mirror (pivot point is messed up, doesn't stay put so it has a zip screw holding it tight to keep it from swinging around now), detail interior, replace windshield. drives great.

chaves

Reaction score
question anyone no where to get cross member bolts mine were like the epic you showed not liking the wear on it haha thanks

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hardware store. I built enough that I had spares from the ones I stripped. Ran out after the orange one tho

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't believe that I haven't posted pics of the orange KJ or silver KJ complete, outside, next to each other, and detailed.

I've got to do the basic detail on them again since they are used (alot) every day, but I will get that done.

Plow mounts for my Meyer Drive Pro 6'8" steel plow are ordered. wiring ordered. I'll be getting creative with the controls, as I want a low profile toggle that is reliable, but doesn't use a digital board that will fail. this will be mounted next to the shifter, in the shifter bezel (more than enough room there). Should be a good personal use plow vehicle.

more 4.7 pics to come as well in the next couple of months. I'm ready to do the swap as far as mechanicals go, just need the time.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
an 04 renegade with smashed up front end is showing up tomorrow to become the next project!

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm back at it again. The old man needed replacement wheels for his 86 2.1 turbo diesel comanche, so we found a very decent 02 kj with a beautiful sounding motor and junk trans...149k miles for $800.

It's limited with pw, pl, power defrost mirrors, heated power leather, cruise, steering wheel radio controls, sunroof, factory class 3 hitch and 7 pin trailer plug, nv242 4x4, tow package fans, and a/c.

From previous shenanigans we still had a 2wd 45rfe with 110k miles sitting here, so why not?

Beautiful thing...2wd trans is identical to 4wd trans except for a different output housing and a shallower trans pan. So, off to remove stuff from the junk trans, and put it all on the replacement one.

Attachments

• 20160910_180301.jpg
    20160910_180301.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 20160911_142348.jpg
    20160911_142348.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 20160911_142752.jpg
    20160911_142752.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 25

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm back at it again. The old man needed replacement wheels for his 86 2.1 turbo diesel comanche, so we found a very decent 02 kj with a beautiful sounding motor and junk trans...149k miles for $800.

It's limited with pw, pl, power defrost mirrors, heated power leather, cruise, steering wheel radio controls, sunroof, factory class 3 hitch and 7 pin trailer plug, nv242 4x4, tow package fans, and a/c.

From previous shenanigans we still had a 2wd 45rfe with 110k miles sitting here, so why not?

Beautiful thing...2wd trans is identical to 4wd trans except for a different output housing and a shallower trans pan. So, off to remove stuff from the junk trans, and put it all on the replacement one.

Nice find! Good to be able to do all your own work.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. It sure saves a bunch of money. These 02 kjs are where it's at...the only easy ones to convert to 4.7, and the only ones with a decent ******. This one will be getting a jba 3.5" kit and some 31s by winter.

Even though the body isn't perfect, $800 for a nice interior and good 3.7 in an 02 is hard to beat. We could do all the repairs and upgrades and lose no money when we transfer over to the new body.

This will be the 7th one I've gone through. My mother has the lifted limited renegade, I have the limited renegade conversion with the plow, and the old man will get this one...just gotta find a light bar to complete it.

jdcrx

Reaction score
I just found an 02 with 225k miles in great running condition, all minor stuff like broken hatch strut mounts, broken seat trim and thats it. Hopefully will become a fun little project..

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-UL00 using Tapatalk

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I finally got around to getting it back on its feet.

Drives well, needs a front wheel bearing.

Replaced drivers door lock actuator as it was loud, and passed Germany front door stop as it was broken.

Still need to get
Hood struts
Rear hatch latch and micro switch
Change both diffs fluids and cover gaskets
New upper cv for front driveshaft
New muffler and tailpipeople
Patch pinhole on driver side pre cat
New tps
Rubicon rims and good tires
Detail inside and out.

At least the engine and brakes were good