02 Liberty Renegade Limited...Resurrection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pics of the new motor for the orange one.

You must be registered for see images attach

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
more teasers.

trans bolted right up. Only thing different is the inspection cover/girdle/reinforcement needs two holes redrilled.

That is a v6 manifold bolted to it. ports line up. I'll be using that and the v8 manifold to make one. Found out the composition of the metal, ordered the proper rod for the stick welder so I can do it right. This allows me to use the factory heat shields.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Leeann!

Short update with some teaser pics

engine/trans in, trans mounted. Need to think about motor mounts. But mocking up I can see what will and will not fit.

The intake manifold on this one is not one that I will be using. I have the appropriate jeep one along with computer etc. from an 02 jeep grand cherokee. This motor still needs the tone rings swapped on the crank, and cleaned up, but I want the mounts and exhaust done before I ever get to that point, so that it's purely a mechanical issue and electrical to finish.

pics.

fuzzy, but k-member and suspension back up and in

this will need to come back out to be degreased properly before the jeep is able to go back together for final assembly

Motor in with trans bolted up. pan is on a 2x4 wood block between axle and oil pan to hold it in position without the hoist.

driver side motor mount. I'm thinking that the grand cherokee motor mounts should work out for me.

passenger side motor mount

The heater hoses will need to be stretched, in the middle, so that the reservoir and heater core can be hooked up and look proper.

here is your fan hub clearance. You can NOT use a factory e-fan. I will have to cut the e-fan out of the e-fan only fan shroud, and install one directly on the radiator, with a pusher on the other side. The fan shroud itself will then fit in order to duct air efficiently

Power steering gets a little tight but the hoses will all reach and fit with plenty of flex. There's actually too much hose to the U and the cooler, but no big deal

Here's how it sits with the v8 in it. Obviously it will drop a bit more with full fluids, driveshaft, exhaust, everything else assembled. I'll be wanting diesel springs, but it didn't drop the height by too much

This is where it will sit for a week or so while I finish up the engine replacement on the black 02.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So all of the new parts showed up today

Reman heads, zinc coated, complete with cams, rockers, 3 step grind on valves
full gasket set (upper and lower)
trans filter set
oil pump
lower timing tensioner (timing set was good, I broke the tensioner on disassembly as the lower gear was fubar'd)

engine on stand

new heads

new gaskets

pressure washed/simple greened kmember then painted it

trans on stand, ready to be cleaned and painted

this was one of the green renegade rims. I cleaned them up, stripped, sanded, and painted with a chrysler silver via dupli-color color match and high gloss clear coat. These will look very nice on the black jeep

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here's some of the progress.

motor mounts blasted primed and painted

trans resealed with new input and output seals, filter kit. used rtv ultra black and gasket for added assurance that it won't leak. Also checked and adjusted bands. they were just shy of being outside of spec

we had also bead blasted the pan to get rid of the typical surface rust on the outside, and checked for pinholes...we found none as it hadn't reached the point of pitting yet.

Engine is cleaned, ready to clean the sealing surfaces up proper, then resealing it.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine is going well. will have it installed thursday, have prior obligations until then.

I did not replace the timing chains or sprockets, because there was nothing wrong with them. I cleaned them as best as they can be cleaned with a parts washer to ensure there was no buildup or debris. didn't take the stains out, but that's fine. all chains fit factory spec.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm not sure if you mean the v8 swap, or rebuilding the 3.7 for the black one.

Either way, without labor, it's around $1700 for the motor work and everything needed to accomplish.

I've got $800 into just purchasing the v8, tho I actually traded almost all of my non-common failure KJ parts to the junkyard for $500 of it. body panels interior etc. I'll need to do seals, and had a nice fellow send me his 16t tone ring set for it to make it right
Gaskets and head bolts will amount to somewhere around $400, timing guides and tensioners around another $200, bearings around another $100, then the computer and proper intake parts and section of WJ harness were $150. Really not that bad, I only paid $1500 for the orange KJ I'm doing it to.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I meant the V8 swap. And I thought you had more money into it. That's really not as bad as I figured. I might just have to do it. :gr_grin:

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, motor is just about done. Juggling alot of projects so this is spare time stuff right now.

intake cleaned and on, got a new oil dipstick tube as this one was fubar'd, valve covers cleaned, painted, thumbed on for now, everything is pretty well buttoned up except for the fuel rail...waiting on paint to dry.

Tomorrow I'll be replacing the passenger inner axle c clip on the kmember, and outer seal, then putting the motor in the k-member, trans on motor, tcase on trans, wiring on all, starter in, fuel rail on.

Then take the valve covers back off and jumper the starter to prime the oil pump and make sure oil is coming out everywhere it's supposed to still, button it up completely, get a compression test done, plugs in, coils on, and trans fluid in, then into the jeep it goes!

coming along well. First time dealing with TTY bolts, but that was easy enough. first time timing a SOHC like this, too.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, with many special thanks to Paul at OCD detailing (On-Site Car Detailing), the jeep has been detailed inside and out. It turned out really well, and while it does have blemishes, it's a beauty at 5' away, and really hard to pick apart. He did a 2 stage buff and wax on her after a quick hand wash. Very reasonably priced, and he was very happy to come do it even though the jeep isn't fully assembled!

Pics

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also pretty much finished the engine etc.

Once I put it all together and mounted, before I put the wiring back on I hooked up a battery and jumped it to prime the oil up through the lifters, then put the valve covers back on, then wiring on.

All that's left is to put the exhaust on it, put thermostat and housing on, and install.

I'll be driving it for sure by saturday to put the 500 mile break-in oil change on it, another wash, and then see what I can get for it.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a quick update. I have about 3 hours of work left on it if I take it easy.

Rob stopped by and even though it was for something else gave us a hand putting the body on the motor.

got the body lined up, steering shaft hooked up, brakes on, abs hooked up, engine wiring hooked up, computers in, suspension bolted in, radiator in and hooked up, battery tran and airbox in and hooked up, trans and tcase cables hooked up, then test fired it. purrs like a kitten.

Then put the front clip on and tires on, put her on the ground and put the ventshades on, called it a day.

Tomorrow I've just got to remove a broken trans crossmember bolt and then bolt that up, and hook up the muffler. Then it's 500 sweet miles of test drive on, one more oil change, and on the market she goes.

LaneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. Really enjoyed this thread. Keep the updates coming! I wish I had the whit and ability to do all of this. And the money. Super jealous. Can't wait for more updates!

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. Really enjoyed this thread. Keep the updates coming! I wish I had the whit and ability to do all of this. And the money. Super jealous. Can't wait for more updates!

Thanks!

luckily, none of this work has required much money, little wit, and a good amount of ability.

I'm not a very eloquent person, but the ability is here. We have not got nearly as much money wise into the black one as it will sell for, but the time is what we've invested

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finished her up today, put around 80 miles on her.

Start of the day I had to put new power steering pump on, fan shroud in, lower bumper bolts in, trans crossmember in after removing broken bolt, exhaust hooked up, rear driveshaft ujoints changed and installed, coolant in and top off trans fluid, front brakes on, swaybar on, and then I was able to finally drive her.

Once I did all that, game on!

Throughout the test drive, I noticed that the part time light was on while in 2wd. It's the switch, I'll figure that out. Aside from that, I had one of the old PCV hoses that was questionable and I hadn't replaced break on me, so I had to buy a new one.

But overall, with the exception of those two problems, this is hands down one of the best driving vehicles I've ever had the pleasure of working on. runs awesome at all speeds, no wobbles or funny business, great power response. Just a dream to be behind the wheel.

It will be up for sale once I put the break-in mileage on the motor.

LaneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if one of us Grocery Getters were to make it up to Wisconsin one way or another, would you be able to convert to 4x4? How long do you think it would take?

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I could. I would need to have the parts first, which i should soon.

I'd swap the whole K-member and put your suspension on it, and depending on which trans you have based off your year, either swap the trans, or swap the output housing with transfercase, then driveshafts.