'02 Liberty Fuel Filling Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

katcunha

Reaction score
When filling my '02 Liberty, the pump shuts off every 2-3 seconds and it takes upwards of half an hour to fill the tank. I have read that the problem may be a clog in the fuel tank vent line, such as a spider's nest in the vent line, thus creating positive pressure within the gas tank while fueling, and preventing the gas from descending into the tank. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so can it be fixed at home? I am unable to find any diagrams showing where the vent line is to allow me to attempt clearing it.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried another pump or another station? I had it where some pumps flow faster than others and it would kick off every few seconds. Like Ry said try pumping slower. Also, dont shove the nozzle all the way in. Try backing it off a 1/2 inch or so. This one usually works for me.

nmadd118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a problem where it doesn't shut off - seems to be a problem with many Jeeps - it wont click off until gas is literally pouring out the side - very problematic when you want to fill up. Anybody have a similar issue or know of a quick fix? I have yet to try to pump slower maybe that will help

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is all station and pump dependant
I burn 2+ tanks a week @32+ gallons per fill up
The tank holds 36
Some pump fast
Some suck
Some spill out
Some will not fill the tank
Some cut you off as low as $75 some let you go until
the money runs out