02 Liberty for $400

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RKinney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got the deal of a century on an 02 Liberty Sport 3.7 with 120k miles for $400. Only problem with it is that the a/c compressor clutch locked up and threw the belt. It also needs tires which I already had a set of 245/75/16 BFG Rugged Terrains (load range E). I started it up and drove it on the trailer. I have already looked it over and other than the a/c compressor and belt, it just needs brakes all around. It doesn't even have any leaks. I after I get the little things done, I am going to lift it with the OME setup. Now I can drive this in the winter and keep my truck rust free.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Post them on photobucket etc and then on here
Another Ohio member!
At least you're going with a great lift, hopefully from JBA

RKinney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics of the "Cheap Jeep."

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

RKinney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I am getting lift parts from JBA. Never been into off-road stuff but this might just be a little fun. I feel a little bad though since I am focusing on this rather than getting my Firebird build done by spring. It is what is and I really want this Jeep done in a few weeks so it can be my winter vehicle.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I am getting lift parts from JBA. Never been into off-road stuff but this might just be a little fun. I feel a little bad though since I am focusing on this rather than getting my Firebird build done by spring. It is what is and I really want this Jeep done in a few weeks so it can be my winter vehicle.

If you need any help just ask, I'm close by to you, about 30 miles west
Also have done over 35 KJ lifts for folks so know some tricks of what to do
even built a couple of my own LOL
heres my black 04 on the left bought new , many changes over the years, now at 220,000 miles and the 03 I'm just building now, one owner, 80,000 miles heated garage kept its whole life

Last edited:

RKinney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks man. I really like the way your black one sits. So you are near Columbus? I work in Columbus, tech at a Chevrolet dealership. I really have been trying to find out about a different wheel setup, not to crazy about how the sport wheels will look to far in the wheel wells when lifted. I really like the mamba wheels (16x8-5in bs), but also the soft 8's or similar. Will the soft 8's 16x7 4in backspacing stick out past the fenders? Doesn't look like they do, but wanted to make sure. I have a feeling I will rub with the 245/75/16 on the stock sport wheels after I lift it.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks man. I really like the way your black one sits. So you are near Columbus? I work in Columbus, tech at a Chevrolet dealership. I really have been trying to find out about a different wheel setup, not to crazy about how the sport wheels will look to far in the wheel wells when lifted. I really like the mamba wheels (16x8-5in bs), but also the soft 8's or similar. Will the soft 8's 16x7 4in backspacing stick out past the fenders? Doesn't look like they do, but wanted to make sure. I have a feeling I will rub with the 245/75/16 on the stock sport wheels after I lift it.

Gahanna is where I'm at easy to find
7 inch wide 4 inches of backspacing works great!
Daryls, one on the left has 7 inch wide, 4 inches of backspacing with 245-75-16s , soft 8s so you can see how they sit

If looking at the mambas I have one that I'll let go for 60 bucks, never had a tire on it, never mounted on a Jeep, brand new . Got it to try on a Projst and went different direction
I also know where there is a set of 8 inch wide / 5 inches of backspacing ( work great with 265-70-16s , same height as the 245-75-16s but wider ( soft 8s as well )

RKinney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have done tons of research on these things lately regarding lifts and tire/wheel combos and ran across this picture. It's kinda hard to tell how where the front wheels sit due to his wheels being turned, but I think you also mentioned that in the post. I have heard if you're running at 245/75/16 you need to run a 7 inch wide wheel, but I will probably go to at 265/70/16 tire at my next tire purchase. I really don't want to run at 265/70/16 tire until I put in 4.10's. Would those 16x8 5in bs soft 8's rub with 927/948 springs (nothing else for added height) and a 245/75/16? I know they should only come out as far as the 16x7 4in bs but with another inch inward. If not, I am assuming they would when a 265/70/16 was added later on. I really don't want to go any higher than what the 927/948 are going to do. My goal for this thing is to lift it, nice tire/ wheel combo, and 4.10's with arb air Lockers, or just a Detroit locker in the rear with a true trac up front. Anything will be better than these open diffs. Also, do some of you guys do meets or hit up some local trails? I moved here from Texas last year and haven't found many people that are into cars and such. Although I do work at a dealership, nobody there really has automotive hobbies. Me on the other hand, I like anything with an engine. Sorry for the long post.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have done tons of research on these things lately regarding lifts and tire/wheel combos and ran across this picture. It's kinda hard to tell how where the front wheels sit due to his wheels being turned, but I think you also mentioned that in the post. I have heard if you're running at 245/75/16 you need to run a 7 inch wide wheel, but I will probably go to at 265/70/16 tire at my next tire purchase. I really don't want to run at 265/70/16 tire until I put in 4.10's. Would those 16x8 5in bs soft 8's rub with 927/948 springs (nothing else for added height) and a 245/75/16? I know they should only come out as far as the 16x7 4in bs but with another inch inward. If not, I am assuming they would when a 265/70/16 was added later on. I really don't want to go any higher than what the 927/948 are going to do. My goal for this thing is to lift it, nice tire/ wheel combo, and 4.10's with arb air Lockers, or just a Detroit locker in the rear with a true trac up front. Anything will be better than these open diffs. Also, do some of you guys do meets or hit up some local trails? I moved here from Texas last year and haven't found many people that are into cars and such. Although I do work at a dealership, nobody there really has automotive hobbies. Me on the other hand, I like anything with an engine. Sorry for the long post.
265-70-16 and 245-75-16 are the same height, the 265-70s sit on an 8 inch wide wheel much better, all 245-75-16s are about 7 inches of tread width so not as good on a 8 inch wide wheel. If you want to run 265-70s then 8 inch wheel works great over 8 inches of tread width and 8 inch wheel.
We're going to be doing some in the spring in the Southern Part of Ohio. Not much else around unless you go to Indiana to the Bad lands etc. Check the Ohio Section of LOST JEEPs thats where it will be posted ( moderator on both of the forums) We used to do monthly M&Gs with anywhere from 506 to 15 lifted KJs being there at my old place, but thats slowed down anymore and then me moving down here.
But back to tires etc you can run 245-75 or 265-70s and stock 3.73s, many do , works better with 4.10s though . NOW of course if going to 265-75-16s its a must to regear , well and 4 inches of lift

RKinney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might be interested in the soft 8's. I just measured my tread width and it came to just over 7.5 in. I will go bigger later, using these tires because I already had them. Only thing that ***** is they are 10 ply and heavy (~20lbs heavier than the factory size tire on the liberty wheel). That's only going up with steel wheels. Are there 4 or 5 rims in the set you are talking about? Price?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I might be interested in the soft 8's. I just measured my tread width and it came to just over 7.5 in. I will go bigger later, using these tires because I already had them. Only thing that ***** is they are 10 ply and heavy (~20lbs heavier than the factory size tire on the liberty wheel). That's only going up with steel wheels. Are there 4 or 5 rims in the set you are talking about? Price?

10 plys , yes heavy and very stiff on a KJ for sure