'02 Cherokee (Liberty) questions....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nzoliver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:shock:
Hello all!

I have just purchased an '02 Cheorkee (Liberty) Limited Edition. I imported it form Japan so I have to change the stereo due to their 76Mhz - 90Mhz FM band :grr I have 3 questions for y'all:
1: Where are your park lights? (Mine are in the main headlamp body - Euro spec)
2: How many of you have the full time 4wd option in your KJs?
3: DO you know if there are amplifiers on the back of the front door speakers or are they just normaly wired to the stereo?

Thank you :D

Oliver

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Your park lights are in the main headlamp body? Pics! :p

Ours are located in the turn signal "body".

Not many KJs have the Full Time option. There's a heck of a lot more with just Part Time.

I know nothing about the stereo systems, sorry. :( (I just wish it was better!)

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. Yup, weve gotta have pictures of that! If the turn signal is in the headlight then I want!

Ours have a separate light just below the heatlight which is the park light and turn signal.

Its the yellow park just below the heat light:

You must be registered for see images

2. Mine has it, I wouldnt have a Jeep with out it. :)

3. If you have the premium infinity system then yes, you have amps on both front door speakers. You will also have tweeters in the dash which means those amps act as cross overs.

nzoliver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your park lights are in the main headlamp body? Pics! :p

Ours are located in the turn signal "body".

Not many KJs have the Full Time option. There's a heck of a lot more with just Part Time.

I know nothing about the stereo systems, sorry. :( (I just wish it was better!)

I'll do you a deal....:rolleyes:

Show me yours and I'll show you mine:eek:

Oliver

nzoliver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. Yup, weve gotta have pictures of that! If the turn signal is in the headlight then I want!

Ours have a separate light just below the heatlight which is the park light and turn signal.

3. If you have the premium infinity system then yes, you have amps on both front door speakers. You will also have tweeters in the dash which means those amps act as cross overs.

Hi,

Only the park lights are in the headlamp body. The indicators are in the 'usual' place. I see the lamp holders for the indicators only have 2 wires. Is the park light on yours in the outside piece or in the same section as the indicator?:confused:
I wann put the park lights back where they belong. I might need different housings or diferent bulb holders......so any info please :D

Oliver

nzoliver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Also,

The stereo in my truck has tweeters in the dash but only 6 speakers in all and no mention anywhere of the Infinity system so i'm hoping they ain't amped as one door speaker is poked:eek:

Oliver :D

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3: DO you know if there are amplifiers on the back of the front door speakers or are they just normaly wired to the stereo?

Only the "Infinity" (high-end) stereo system has the amplifiers attached to the speakers, and I'm pretty sure that most Cherokee/Liberty models DO NOT have that Infinity system. Look for the word "Infinity" on the stereo and speakers grilles. If the current Japan model stereo doesn't say "Infinity" on it anywhere, then chances are you don't have the mini-amplifiers on each speaker and they're just wired in normally.

**Never mind, I see your questions have been answered already. Sorry, it's early for me.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also,

The stereo in my truck has tweeters in the dash but only 6 speakers in all and no mention anywhere of the Infinity system so i'm hoping they ain't amped as one door speaker is poked:eek:

Oliver :D

If youre not sure then I would pull the door cover off and check it out to be sure.

Only the park lights are in the headlamp body. The indicators are in the 'usual' place. I see the lamp holders for the indicators only have 2 wires. Is the park light on yours in the outside piece or in the same section as the indicator?confused.gif
I wann put the park lights back where they belong. I might need different housings or diferent bulb holders......so any info please (biggrin)

Both the park lights and the turn signals are in that one unit. The bulb has 2 filaments in them which lets the bulb be a signal and a park light. The side bulb and the bulb in the front of the housing serve as a park light and a turn signal. The side bulb only has one filament so if you have the park lights on that light will start to flash.

We need a picture of your lights now!

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
The parking lights are also commonly refereed to as city lights in European specification vehicles.
Ok, it's not a Jeep but the head lights in the car in my avatar have parking/city lights.
It was done in the UK originally so that when you parked along the side of a street, you left your "parking lights" on so that other vehicles could see you More easily.
Hence the term "Parking lights"!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parking_lights#Front_position_lamps_.28parking_lamps.29

nzoliver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If youre not sure then I would pull the door cover off and check it out to be sure.

Both the park lights and the turn signals are in that one unit. The bulb has 2 filaments in them which lets the bulb be a signal and a park light. The side bulb and the bulb in the front of the housing serve as a park light and a turn signal. The side bulb only has one filament so if you have the park lights on that light will start to flash.

We need a picture of your lights now!

Hi all,
I will shoot a snap today.
Are you saying that the 'main' segement of the indicator/park light unit has a dual filament bulb and that there is a small single filament bulb in the outer segments of the unit? This would seem correct to me to allow for the front Federal side marker lamps.
I guess I would have to try and get (from the USA) a pair of dual filament bulb holders and a single for the marker lamp bit....AND a pair of housings! Mine only have a single 'hole' for the indicator. :mad:
Anyone wrecking a KJ? :eek:

nzoliver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi ,
A couple of quick pix I grabbed in the garage this morning....

Park lights in the main headlamp body. ;)

Attachments

• DSC00997.jpg
    DSC00997.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC01000.jpg
    DSC01000.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 23

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well... My KJ has the Export Package so it has the park lights in the headlamp main body too...

Regarding to the little differences, I also learned that the US Spec has 9007 lightbulbs and the Export Package (I refuse to call it 'Euro Spec'... you know, we, the rest of the world exists, like it or not :D) has H4.

The Export Package has rear fog lamps... that is the reason why the rear license plate is in the funny spare tire cover instead the rear bumper... Since we have these rear fog lights, we don't have reflectors integrated into the main rear light assembly... Beacuse they are mandatory by law overseas, DCX put them into the rear bumper, resulting with no place left for the licence plate, who ended up in the spare wheel...

Also we have the antenna integrated in the right rear window... :cool: why? because -again- is mandatory by law that a vehicle has side turn signals lights... DCX put them in the same place the US Spec antenna was... so the antenna has to be elsewhere... And we ended up with no place for the 'Trail Rated' badge...:(

That's all I recall for now...

Cheers :)

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious.
Whats the need for parking lights in the head lamps? Isn't that what the side markers are for?

I understand it probably increases the visibility for other drivers to see the Jeep on the road. But are there any other reasons behind it?

Last edited:

nzoliver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Well, in most countries in Europe, Australia orange park lights are not allowed. Side marker lamps are not a requirement. They are in New Zealand. Why a clear (non coloured) park lamp lens wasn't used on these Jeeps I don't know. And, since there is a different type of headlight for Export vehicles (using the more available H4 lamp) I guess it was just as easy to install the park lights there!

I do want to convert my park lights over tho! I need the bulb holders as well as the new housings.

Happy days!

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Well, in most countries in Europe, Australia orange park lights are not allowed. Side marker lamps are not a requirement. They are in New Zealand. Why a clear (non coloured) park lamp lens wasn't used on these Jeeps I don't know. And, since there is a different type of headlight for Export vehicles (using the more available H4 lamp) I guess it was just as easy to install the park lights there!

I do want to convert my park lights over tho! I need the bulb holders as well as the new housings.

Happy days!

i kinda get it now. See i think what had me confused was how Europe Defines parking lights and how the US defines parking. when you say parking lights I think of my side markers front and rear as parking lights. compared to actaully having a set lights called "parking lights"

Last edited: