Removing front sway bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
If one unbolts the drops on sway bar would you leave the main bar in place,or remove it? Looking for more flex off-road,wondering about road manners also.

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They make a detachable sway links that you may want to look into. I'm not sure how much help detaching the swaybar would be on a IFS since each side moves independently.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Not wanting to spend money,am wondering if removing will help with "three legging",maybe make it more supple.

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then, I'm not sure on an IFS. Did you take the sway bar off the rear? I know taking a sway bar off a solid axle helps with articulation.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Yes,removed rear,still untested,just thinking of things to do that don't cost much.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
You will not want to drive on the road without that front swaybar,pull it off and take a spin around the block at higher speeds and you will see why,if you don't roll it 1st.

x2

I lost one of the bolts in one of my swaybar links last spring, and wasn't aware of it till later. I had the jeep at interstate speeds once during this time, but had to exit because the jeep was WAY squirrely. :eek: Not fun.

I wouldn't advise it either. If you want to remove a sway bar, remove the back one.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
You will not want to drive on the road without that front swaybar,pull it off and take a spin around the block at higher speeds and you will see why,if you don't roll it 1st.

x2

I lost one of the bolts in one of my swaybar links last spring, and wasn't aware of it till later. I had the jeep at interstate speeds once during this time, but had to exit because the jeep was WAY squirrely. :eek: Not fun.

I wouldn't advise it either. If you want to remove a sway bar, remove the back one.

This is kinda what I thought,wonder about off-road manners,more flex for the better or not a enough to be a positive?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is kinda what I thought,wonder about off-road manners,more flex for the better or not a enough to be a positive?
I never undid my front swaybar,among others,and never had a issue doing the difficult trails.

It has been shown that some "light" forms of swaybars(on SFA vehicles) like the AntiRock actually helps offroad,not so much as in flex but keeping force on the front tires to maintain traction.The OEM swaybar is to stiff though for offroad.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I never bothered with mine offroad either - seemed like more of a hassle than anything else.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Funny thing.

Back last year when we had a pile of people go to Haspin, SWMPTHG was behind ThunderbirdJunkie going around some corners.

That thing leaned and wallowed like a desert truck.

Looked cool, (like a desert truck :p) but could not imagine being in that thing!

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IFS will not flex sway bar or not
example
'02 TJ gains 4"+ of travel with sway bar removed
'03 KJ gained less than an inch on the same RTI ramp
I owned both ,still own the TJ
ramp was kept by the club president who lived 1/2 mile from my house
both sucked driving with no sway bar ,TJ was 10X worse than the KJ
I will NEVER drive on road with the sway bar off of the TJ

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried the same difficult trails with a custom built front disconnect bar and w/ a stock bar connected and saw no discernable difference in running the trail Except that on tippy or off camber spots, W/ the stock bar connected, it felt more stable. could have just been my mind telling me that but it was noticable.

Latest posts

Members online