My first Jeep! And some questions :)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

entity

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm new to the Jeep Country. I just traded in my Cobalt SS and picked up a 2007 Liberty Sport. It was a lease turn-in and has 21k miles.

Now, I do have a couple questions though!

Firstly, what should I be looking for in the 2007's? I can't find much by searching besides the plagued window regulators.

Also, I heard a buzzing sound from a cold start (~45F) tonight. A quick rev and it went away, but came back when it idled. It then went away for good once the Jeep hit normal temps. I read on another post this could be the power steering pump, which is normal?

I've had the Jeep for one week now with no issues. Now, on turns, bumps, and even backing out of the driveway I hear a creak coming from the back passenger side. I bounced a little on the back and could not reproduce it. The only thing that changed was yesterday I had the dealer replace two missing wheel well pins (the ones that need the gun to be put in) from each rear well (closest to the ground, maybe they were missing because of stress and that is what I'm hearing?).

How are KJ's when it comes to road noise? When going speeds of >50MPH I can hear what I think to be an air leak. It whistles noticeably when the radio is off. If this is normal, cool, if not I may need something to be resealed? This is mainly on the driver side and can't tell if it happens for the passenger.

Sorry for all the questions! These are my only concerns as of yet. Loving it so far otherwise :D.

Attached is a pic!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome!

I have a 2007. Don't want to scare you off, but my experience has been:
(2) front regulators
(2) sets (meaning 4) of window seals
Right front & Right Rear ABS sensors
Both front wheel hubs wen out.

2007's have the dipstick tube capped off and are the first drive by wire - there's no throttle cable.

Everything else really seems to be the same as the 2006, except for the stereo. Looks the same, but when I bought a converter to hook my MP3 to the radio it wouldn't work. Called the manufacturer and they said they don't support 2007 and have no plans to. So, something changed in there.

I didn't have any real noise in mine until I had the window seals replaced. Now I do get a little wind noise on the driver's front window.

My advice is get used to some little rattles and bangs because they'll happen. Can't really comment on the rear noise and the cold noise.

I'm in metro-detroit too. If you have any questions or issues, there are a few of us around.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Right color now head south across the border to see some more Blac:Dk and Bad KJs

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome
That is power steering noise you're hearing. ThunderbirdJunkie's has done that since he bought it, and many new ones on the lot did it too.

Not a biggie.
PS-Your name wouldn't be Ron would it?

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The noise due to the cold start has something to do with the power steering, mine does it every winter. Assuming I'm thinking of the same sound--howling/whistling/buzzing sort of thing that sounds like it's coming from the dash?

Mine creaks every once in a while from the back but my mechanic told me it was probably a noise from the un-engaged (couldn't think of a better term) parking break when it's cold and shifting around with the movement of the vehicle...if that makes any sense at all =P (It will creak a LOT if you try backing up with it on, but that's a story for another time =X)

Anyway, mine has wind noise due to the light bar, and I now have a whistle that comes from the driver's side fender flare from when it was replaced after I crashed--never did it before, so something probably isn't sealed right. Might try checking into that on yours...hope this is of some help to you, and welcome to the world of the KJ!

Last edited:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
The only noise we get when it's very cold out is that from the starter motor.
As soon as the temperature drops to around 4° Celsius/39.2° Fahrenheit I plug
in the block heater and the starters groan goes away!
I have never heard the power steering pump though.

Oh, Welcome to the best KJ forum on the net!

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on your first Jeep!!! I just got my 06 a couple of months ago. I wouldn't really worry about the noises. I've had a couple rattles but they have gone away. You gota remember it's a Chrysler product. And you'll probably have to make some financial sacrifices to keep your off road champ in good shape. So far I've had too

Replace both The front and rear brakes $340
Had to replace the wiring so my one speaker would work $207
Replace both of the rear brake lights $20

I luckily haven't any windows fall on me yet.

But other than the repair costs I love my Jeep. It takes me through fields like nothing :)

Yours only has 21,000 miles. I'm jealous mine already has 80,000. Just give it a good oil change every 4,000-5,000 miles and you'll be good for a long time. I recommend you use a good Synthetic Oil (like Mobil 1) and put on a good oil filter. Whatever you don't use Fram!!!!!

Welcome to KJ Country
Were here if you need any help
Have fun with your new Libby :)

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Welcome!

My suspension gets a little creeky when it starts to get cold and I'm at about 45k.

If you've got the Jeep disease though, like most of us ... suspension is already on your mind so no big deal :D

Have you checked all around your door seams/rubber .. a good coat of silicone spray is always helpful.

Last edited:

entity

Reaction score
Thank you EVERYONE for the welcomes. This is by far the friendliest forum yet!

Sorry for being so ****-retentive about these small issues. Just trying to see what I can stick to the dealer and what won't be a long lasting problem! ;)

@Atrus This is good to know! I'm actually in the Clinton Twp. M59 area. I also work at the Best Buy in Utica, lol.

@ThunderbirdJunkie My name's Mike. Almost ;).

@KJ zGal I actually read your first post regarding that, and it does sound like it's coming from the dash. It's not really a whine or whistle though, but more like a buzz. That's the only way I can describe it!

Last edited:

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lunch Trip to BestBuy!

Welcome to the KJ! Best vehicle on the planet....

or.

The KJ is like fine wine - it gets better as it ages.

Requirements to be a KJ:
1) Noisy Lifters / Fuel Injectors - Check
2) Powersteering Moan when it's winter - Check
3) Squeaky Front Swaybar - Check
4) Leaky Door Seal - Check

Yup, looks like you got yourself a real KJ.

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(welcome)

If u r accustomed to Mercedes this thing will drive u crazy. If u were driving a '66 Falcon the quietness will drive u crazy with the few creaks & rattles u CAN hear now. In short it's below average in American NHV and repairs.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A liberty sport with chrome grill and body colored flares? Could it be a Latitude edition or 65th anniversary edition?

Anyway, it's beautiful and looks to be in great shape.

Listen, a Jeep is a Jeep, it's not a BMW. I don't find that my KJ is especially noisy when driving at high speed. It's a brick on wheels so air noise is gonna be expected. But I always have the radio on so I don't really hear it. Plus my dad had a 87 XJ and currently has an 00 Durango, both are bricks on wheels so I guess I'm just use to it.

Tell us more about that KJ, what features does it have? If your not quite sure, send Chrysler an email asking for the build sheet. You'll need to provide them with the VIN number.

Oh and...(welcome)

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a brick on wheels so air noise is gonna be expected. But I always have the radio on so I don't really hear it. Plus my dad had a 87 XJ and currently has an 00 Durango, both are bricks on wheels so I guess I'm just use to it.

Not enough time to talk about ALL the cars I have previously owned but I've had 4 Trans Ams since the '80s. Much sleeker than a brick, right? All had as much/more NHV than my Liberty. My GMC is a brick but quieter than any of them. ZRides better too. We just used it for a 4k mile vac. due to it being easier on our old bones and my disability.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Looks to me like a regular everyday '07 Sport with a chrome grille and step bars. Those aren't body color flares, they're just dark gray.

Latest posts

Members online