Kj almost went up in flames

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did some research on the subject back when i was looking at two KJ's and trying to decide which one to buy. The guy said the AC clutch wouldn't engage on the one he had for sale, he took it to a shop and they diagnosed it as the clutch coil being bad, he even showed me their estimate sheet, etc.. Anyway, the coil could be had for about $20-$30. I could get a clutch rebuild kit for around $60-$70 as well.

If its just the clutch itself and the compressor is fine then its not that much more expensive to get a reman compressor, Rock Auto and a few other places i checked were in the $150-$200 range. Since the compressor itself is ok then the rest of the system is fine, when the compressor goes it usually fills the system with shavings and crap and you have to replace the accumulator and orifice tube, as well as flush the system out to clean the lines and condensor and the evaporator.

Where you are at now... Do you spend around $100 to rebuild the clutch, or do you spend a bit more and just replace the compressor. You could have a shop evacuate the system then replace the compressor yourself and take it back and have them vacuum it down and recharge it. That would save you a little labor, not much as the mechanic i talked to said the compressor swap on the Liberty is easy and maybe a half hour labor tops. It might be better to just find the best deal on the compressor and the seals for the lines and then take them with to the shop and let them do it if you go that route.

Ok, now for the rebuild. It doesn't take much for time and tools if you know what your doing to replace a compressor clutch. You need some snap ring tools, a puller, and a lot of patience. You can even do it with the compressor on the vehicle and in the case of the KJ it would be a lot easier than most since its there on the top of the motor and facing forward, easy access. Here is just one source i was able to find online selling a clutch kit, you have to clean up and re-use your pulley.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Comp...rQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_1497wt_779

But after its all said and done, you have an original compressor with a new clutch on it, yeah you can do it a bit cheaper, but what if the compressor itself fails next?

AMG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went with a reman AC comp....I wil post pics sat when I get completed....

looking forward to a Ice cold RC cola in the glass bottle and a warm banana moon pie to help me change out the unit....:D

CONTINUED....11:15pm

I pick up the compressor and was told it was the proper unit, I got to AZ and got a brand new Gator Belt and getting all of my work tools laid out in the garage ready to tackle this in bright and early in the morning. Just to do a second check...to my surprise the hook-up line connectors are at a angle on the Jeep and the reman comp are horizontal.......

Last edited:

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went with a reman AC comp....I wil post pics sat when I get completed....

looking forward to a Ice cold RC cola in the glass bottle and a warm banana moon pie to help me change out the unit....:D

CONTINUED....11:15pm

I pick up the compressor and was told it was the proper unit, I got to AZ and get a brand new Gator Belt and getting all of my work tools laid out in the garage ready to tackle this in bright and early in the morning. Just to do a second check...to my surprise the hook-up line connectors are at a angle on the Jeep and the reman comp are horizontal.......

I haven't looked at the JK compressor, is the connector block bolted to the compressor with a couple allen head bolts?

We had a Dodge Neon and went through this, we could get the same compressor meant for another Dodge vehicle but the connector block was different, i took the one off the reman and took the one off the old one and cleaned it up and put it on the reman compressor. I forget what the torque specs were for the bolts holding that block but i was able to get that info from a Neon Shop Manual, maybe the Jeep one has is to, never know.

Anyway, post back and let us know how it went!

AMG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update...Took the Reman back to the A/C establishment and purchased a brand new A/C compressor:D look at the BLING..look how the connectors side at an angle..make sure you get this because the horizontal units will not work with the angled hose connectors
You must be registered for see images attach

if you look at the pick below you can see how hot the clutch gotten due to the discoloration and the warp

and this is the burnt pulley

It only took me 20 minutes to change the unit out....nothing major I added a brand new Gator Belt...

And this is complete

After checking the fuses I found the 20amp AC clutch fuse was blown. I replaced it with a new fuse..vac and recharged and its blowing just as cold as before...even colder. I used PAG 100 compressor oil. I must admit that Gator Belt is quiet compared to the belt that went up in flames.

Last edited:

AMG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I just finished the final stage of completion

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I just finished the final stage of completion

AMG.........WOW that came out good.

I even washed mine twice after the last mud bath and it is pretty clean now but not that clean compared to yours.

Awesome job.

I am glad it all turned out good for you.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.