Low gas chime not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DJ Ebster

Reaction score
Hi there
Recently I noticed that my low gas chime does not sound. Normally when the low gas light comes on there is a corresponding chime as well.
I checked my fuse panel diagram (for the panel next to steering wheel) in the user manual and there is no indication of a specific fuse for this chime feature. I don't think a fuse for this feature will be in the fuse box under the hood? Or would it? Can anyone help please?

I hate to not have all the features on my Jeep not work.

Thanks

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the chime sound for your seat belts, door/glass ajar, etc? They all use the same chime so if it works for them then it would be something in the sending unit circuit for the low fuel indicator. Also does the low fuel indicator come on (I'm guessing yes)?

DJ Ebster

Reaction score
Yes my door ajar/seat belt chime works. The door/seat chime is usually much louder than the low fuel alert and makes more of a continuous "ding ding" sound. The low gas alert is usually just a softer chime. So my assumption is they don't use the same "output" or "speaker" to create the chime.
And yes my low fuel indicator does come on.
I am stumped

NomadKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Low Fuel Indicator Warning - Each time the ignition switch is turned to the On position, the
EMIC transducer will generate a single chime the first time an electronic message is received over the PCI data bus from the PCM requesting “Low Fuel” KJ CHIME/BUZZER
8B - 3 indicator illumination. The chime will only occur a second time during the same ignition cycle if another electronic message has been received from the PCM
indicating that there is an increase in the fuel level equal to about 3 liters (0.8 gallon), then a subsequent electronic message from the PCM requests “Low
Fuel” indicator illumination. This strategy combined with filtering performed by the internal programming of the PCM on the fuel tank sending unit input is intended to reduce the possibility of fuel sloshing within the fuel tank causing multiple low fuel warning chimes during a given ignition cycle. The EMIC will also respond with the low fuel warning chime
when electronic fuel level messages are received from the PCM indicating that the hard wired input to the PCM from the fuel tank sending unit is an open circuit (greater than full), or a short circuit (less than empty).

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
you are really serious when you say you are concerned about it? People are getting way too soft with all these bells and whistles, if there was a way I would tear out all that crap! Just drive it and enjoy it

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
You said the low fuel indicator light still works, right? And so I am guessing that the gauge needle still works, so just put gas in it when the gauge starts going to 1/4 tank. You are going to use the gas anyway if you are going to drive it, and it is not good for the fuel pump to continually run it to empty all the time anyway. It's either that, or bring it to the dealer (ouch) unless you can figure it out and fix it yourself..NomadKJ's post seems to nail it down for troubleshooting it.

I have never let mine go that low so I don't even know if mine works.

Just my thoughts.

Dave

Last edited:

DJ Ebster

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great feedback: The lesson here is never let my fuel drop below 1/4 tank:)
Anyway, some other strange things have been happening lately which leads me to believe there is another source for this problem.
Recently my engine does not start/swing immediately when I turn the key (it happened once or twice in the past week). Then yesterday morning when I started my Jeep the EVIC temperature reset to Farenheit (I had it set to Metric and it swicthed back US). Also my head unit lost all it's preset stations.
These same symptoms happened about 2 years ago as well and it turned out to be that my battery was dying on me. I swapped it for a new one at a dealership and it was perfect after that. I just need to see if it's still under warranty. IF so, I may tale it back. If not I will get a new battery.

Do you think all these items are realted to the "no chime"? Either way I am gonna check my battery. If it needs replacing I will reply to thsi thread with my findings.
THanks everyone
E