AZ December Run Ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, since we are into November now, I think we can start throwing around ideas for where to go. Where is everyone wanting to go? I would like to head up north, especially if we get some snow by then (although at this rate, that's not likely). However, gas prices are also getting ridiculous, so that could become a factor. My opinion is somewhere easy and scenic. If there was somewhere cool by Jerome or Sedona, I would definitely be in.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are several scenic trails in Sedona we like...

- Broken Arrow, Schnebly Hill Road
- Soldier's Pass (Devils's Kitchen, Seven Sacred Pools)
- Van Deren's Cabin

...all of them together can be done in one day.

M&P40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am down for a sedona trip. it looks like my only weekends off the rest of the year are going to be the weekend of the 1st and 2nd of dec and the 29th and 30th if any other weekend i will be unavailable if we are still up in the air on where i would like to do the other Box Canyon trail as well

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sedona would be fun. fun trails up that-a-way...

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1.) How about doing one the 29th (I think that's Saturday) for Robert and call it a New Year's Run?

2.) I've never heard of the last two trails you posted AJ, any details?

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 29th is okay with us so Robert can make it, but we have to do a run in Jan for it to be called a New Year's Run. Dec is Dec's run, call it a Christmas run or something. Besides, that gives us two runs to plan for, one in Dec and another in Jan.... :p

As for the trails, we've done all three in the TJ in one day. They are all short fun trails, with some interesting sights along the way.

- Soldier's Pass - Wells #18, about 5.5 miles round trip (rated difficult, medium in my opinion)

- Van Deren Cabin - Wells #19, about 5.4 miles round trip (rated medium, easy to medium in my opinion)

And here is the world famous, much talked about...

- Broken Arrow - Wells #23, about 4 miles (rated difficult, a tough medium in my opinion because of the Devil's Staircase and some optional rock climbs).

Each trail takes about an hour, except for Broken Arrow which takes about two hours. Beware of the Pink Jeep Tours, they think they own this trail and their drivers can be a$$holes.

Looks like you have a run... start posting the details and attendee list if you want to do these trails. And don't forget, we'll have to stop by the visitor's center on the way into Sedona to get a Red Rock Pass ($5.00 each vehicle)....

Last edited:

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put up a loose itinerary for the trip. I don't have the Well's book with me right now, so I'm not sure which trail yet. We also need to determine what time everyone would like to meet in Sedona. There is a Chevron on the outskirts of town that you pass coming from I-17. I will find the address for the meeting place.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put up a loose itinerary for the trip. I don't have the Well's book with me right now, so I'm not sure which trail yet. We also need to determine what time everyone would like to meet in Sedona. There is a Chevron on the outskirts of town that you pass coming from I-17. I will find the address for the meeting place.
Where did you post your "loose" intinerary???
Edit... never mind, I saw the new post for the run.

As for trails, that's about it except for Schnebly Hill Road, which I believe is closed from mid-Dec to mid-Apr. There are a few other trails in the area...

- Greasy Spoon Wells #21 (difficult)
- Oak Creek Homestead Wells #22 (medium)

...and a few others farther away from Sedona, one near Stoneman Lake and two others west of Jerome.

Again, I'd suggest meeting at the Visitor's Center, so we make sure everyone gets a Red Rock Pass. They have been known to ticket vehicles that didn't have them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.