Tire Presure System.. NEED LOTS OF HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomanyfieros

Reaction score
Hey guys... I just got my jeep going as far as this computer system (Over head console deal)... So to begin with.. here is my run down on the mutt parts I have...
2003 Jeep Liberty Sport (with the remote entry key ring factory)
2004 Jeep Liberty Over head console I installed that has the Tire PSI reading
2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade Wheels with the tire sensors
Custom Rims

OK.... SO here is the deal... My jeep reads lines as for the tire PSI because the sensors are not in the wheels.... but the wheels that I have from the 05' - the jeep didnt have the over head deal - instead, just a light on the gauge cluster that would light up if one was low.... so my question is... will the sensors work from an 05 Jeep that didnt read out the #'s on my 03 Jeep that I just installed this system on? And will I need to get other sensors in the wheel well area to read the ones on the rims? Please help.. I hate to spend $$ to get the sensors swapped over to my new rims if they arent going to work... and I hate the little computer blinking all the time that my tires have no air in them when they do... Thanks in advance!
Airmen First Class,
Garidner, Jason C.
791st Missile Security Forces Squadron
Minot AFB, ND

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They changed the type of pressure sensors from 04 to 05. So no, the sensors your Jeep came with will not work with the evic from the 04 Jeep..

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am a little confused as to why you have the LABS light in your dash, since that was not available in 03...to my knowledge, and further, how it is working with 05 sensors. That part is just impossible. The TPMS system began in 04 in KJs so I thought, and the breakdown is this:

04 sensors were entirely unique and transponded directly with the EVIC, pinpointing their location on the vehicle by using a training magnet at initial setup, and having to be retrained everytime you rotated one. This is a big plus for 05+ Sport owners as they can just get an 04 TPMS EVIC and 04 sensors and have the "premium" TPMS, meaning individual tire pressure readouts, since that is not possible otherwise. The 05+ use antennas in 3 wheel wells to feed the WCM the tire data and it is then displayed on the EVIC or sets off the dash light (LABS). Whether it set off the light or displayed the invidual readings is entirely dependent on which WCM you have. Since only the Limited in those years had the wiring, WCM and antennas necessary and adding them in is fairly, if not entirely, impossible, 05+ Sports could just get the 04 EVIC and sensors to bypass this. 05+ sensors only work in this properly equipped fashion with 05+ KJs, dependent on whether the vehicle is equipped with the dash light or the EVIC. There is NO SUCH THING as a TPMS EVIC in 05+, the vehicle's computers themselves are responsible for the "premium" TPMS functionality. This can be hacked, I have done it, it is not cheap. 04 sensors only work with the 04 EVIC. So basically, your 05 sensors are useless to you, you can never use them with your car, and they will not work with your EVIC. While the 04 sensors are expensive, that is the only route you can go if you want TPMS, and because of how it interfaces directly with the EVIC anyway, it is a very simple process. Sell the 05 sensors on ebay or something and buy the 04s. You're going to need the sensors, the sensor caps, the retaining nuts and a training magnet. I posted the part numbers in another thread asking about this recently, but they will end up costing in the $250 range for all 5 wheels and the magnet.

Now, for 05+ LIMITEDS ONLY, TPMS is possible. Limiteds come built in with, at a minimum, the LABS dash light. It is standard equipment on the Limited and only available on the Limited. If you're a Sport owner, get an 04 EVIC and sensors or give up on TPMS. If you own a Limited with just the dash light, it CAN be upgraded, but you need new parts, have them installed, and have them programmed. Translation is wasted overpriced labor at the dealership. I ended up paying $160 after the whole deal after getting a deal on the parts and arguing with the service manager about just how much labor was REALLY involved. Chrysler says it was a 0.2 hour job, they refused to do it for less than 2 hours of labor at $85/hr. I yanked the car apart in front of them and said this goes here, 2 minutes labor, plug in starscan here and reprogram this this and this, 10 minutes tops. They refused to charge partial hours, so I paid for 1 hour for what, once they did it, took 15 minutes.

tomanyfieros

Reaction score
Hey Guys.. .Thanks for the info! I must have typed it wrong.. the sensors that I have... came from an 05 Jeep with the light on the dash... my 03 does not have that light... It has the over head console.. I didnt know if there was anything else I would need other than just the sensors from an 04 (Thanks for that info!) to make it all work on my 03 liberty?
So the question now is... Since I have an EVIC from an 04 liberty installed in my 03 liberty... what else other than 04 tire sensors/reprogrammer do I need to make it stop flashing "--"?
Thanks guys!
Airmen First Class,
Gardiner, Jason C.

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Evic

I don't mean to throw a wrench into things, but I added an EVIC to my 04. First I tried an EVIC out of an 03, but the temperature didn't work. So I found one from an 04, and got the tire sensors from an 04. I was under the impression you had to have an 04-06 EVIC for 04+ Jeeps, and assumed you had to have an 02-03 EVIC for 02-03 Jeeps.

I would try the sensors you have in one wheel, and if it works, go ahead and install the rest. If not, you should match sensor year to EVIC year.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You do, but it's just the tradeoff here, he ALREADY got the 04 EVIC, didn't mention temp, so I assume he just doesn't care about it. He asked about making the TPMS work, and this is how. So yes, 02-03 KJs need a 00-03 EVIC from either a Grand Cherokee or KJ, and 04+ KJs need an 04+ KJ EVIC, or the temp will not work.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys.. .Thanks for the info! I must have typed it wrong.. the sensors that I have... came from an 05 Jeep with the light on the dash... my 03 does not have that light... It has the over head console.. I didnt know if there was anything else I would need other than just the sensors from an 04 (Thanks for that info!) to make it all work on my 03 liberty?
So the question now is... Since I have an EVIC from an 04 liberty installed in my 03 liberty... what else other than 04 tire sensors/reprogrammer do I need to make it stop flashing "--"?
Thanks guys!
Airmen First Class,
Gardiner, Jason C.

Nothing. You install the sensors, sensor nuts and valve stem caps, hit the program mode on the EVIC, and it tells you to go stick the magnet over specific valve stems. The magnet affects the signal coming from that sensor and the EVIC knows where it is on the car because it is telling you to screw with Right Front or whatever.

WoodysKJ

Reaction score
Lets look at this whole thing again.

You have sensors in the wheels from an 05. You KJ is an 03, and it wont work.

Funny, you left out one very important piece of the puzzle. The TPM sensors in the wheel communicate with the EVIC system via the sensor recievers in the wheel wells. IF you have an 03 then there is not even a part of the wiring harness for those receivers in the wheel wells that detect the signal s from the sensors in the wheels. so it can not function.

Good luck.