Steering Rack Bushing Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Driver's side needs replacement. I know a few have done it without removing the whole rack. How long to do? Done on a lift?
I've got the Napa bushing here but may get a dealer one as well.
I think there was a link from Jayme but short on time..off to work.
I will look at Ryan's too I think he has fried his as well.
I guess alignment has to be done after install of new bushing.
A step by step would be very helpful.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
How did that happen anyways Ryan? Did the PS pump hose fail or..??

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the rack had to be taken out to replace the bushings. Mine are shot too and I was going to do them till I read somewhere about taking it all out.
Do you have the part number from NAPA? If it works for ya I might do it too in the spring

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya YC THANKS!

That is awesome Jayme! That is such good news to have that link!
This video of my bushing shows the upwards/sidewways movement while turning. It is soon time to get this repaired on a lift. I think It would be a whole lot less hastle with shop tools & can probably get it done for 1 hours labor $80+ alignment Ryan.
Click on photo to see video:
You must be registered for see images attach
"]
[/URL]
I can probably get away with just the drivers side as the other one is fine.

While driving now....Got to watch it now turning (jumps) and way worse with torque steering in 4x4 mode up front now. I also think that the bumpsteer twitch is caused by this bushing moving up/down sideways a bit over potholes.
Obviously the darn bushing fails when soaked with synthetic oils.
Lesson 1 when doing oil change from above cover the drivers side bushing with plastic or cardboard. (note to dealer that I will never go to again) ya an oil change for the kJ is best done on hoist so you do not drop the oil filter onto the bushing! You probably did it on the ground morons. Once on the lift, even with full skids, it does have holes both for accessing the oil filter and drain plug. Done right no drips even a drain channel for the filter done slowly.
I got to do my own oil change on a lift two weeks ago, nice design with full OEM skids to get the oil change done. Quite impressed.
I got the Napa GOld filter in now Ryan. Works good.
I look forward to having the Jeep with a tight rack again soon! (naughty)

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Bjorn, the Napa Part number is: 274-9236 and I have compared it side by side with dealer part. Really could not tell the difference between them.
Napa was aprox $12 each both sides are the same I believe.
42493[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• NapaSteeringBushing.jpg
    NapaSteeringBushing.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks YC!

Do you have the video and/or photos from that link over on LOST? The link to your Photobucket account is dead - maybe you moved or removed your photos?

Bob

Yeah, I intentionally wiped out my photobucket account awhile back. I'll have to check the photos that are saved on my laptop at home later on tonight and see if that photo is still there somewhere. I'll post if I find them.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I intentionally wiped out my photobucket account awhile back. I'll have to check the photos that are saved on my laptop at home later on tonight and see if that photo is still there somewhere. I'll post if I find them.

Bob

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
No dice. I don't have it on the laptop, but may have it on a CD archive. It'll have to wait until the weekend before I can check those though. Sorry.