Spark Plugs possible age?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnnygrace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a pic of the worst of the spark plugs I replaced yesterday. As I learn more about cars while attempting to fix my Liberty I realized, yesterday, that I certainly overlooked replacing the spark plugs. I'm sure this has fixed my low start up idle problem and I'm sure a host of other problems. But in the name of learning, I'd love it if someone would throw out a guess about how old these might be. My wife and I were gifted the car with about 125k on it and now are at 145k. I don't know when the spark plugs were last changed but not since we took possession. The ones I pulled say NGK R. I replaced with the NGK V which seemed, from my research, to be OEM for the 2004. Am I wrong about that? Also I'm debating going back in and checking the coil packs which of course I neglected to do when replacing the spark plugs. And finally i didn't check the gaps on the new plugs, just assumed they were gaped properly. Anyone have any experience with the NGK V's and the factory gap? From what I could glean online, a few reviewers said all the ones they checked were gaped right out of the box...thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20141214_085334_resized.jpg
    20141214_085334_resized.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 29

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that doesn't look too terrible. Few of us have had much worse on here. I would say those were probably last changed around 100K.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I never trust that the plugs will be gapped correctly
some are close but very few are right on , always check the gap
Hard to say by looking at a plug how old it is, I'd guess 45-50,000 at least though, a number of things come into play in how they look and burn.
The "R" plug is a resister type plug used with computer controlled vehicles

Last edited:

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 Spark plugs are built to go into different cars which have different gap specs depending on their ignition. They have no way of knowing what you are installing them in. Set the gap yourself based on factory specs (usually found on emissions sticker under the hood). Resistor plugs came out as a solution to spark plug noise in AM radio.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I would recommend that you replace them with the NGK plugs that are listed on the under the hood sticker.
You hopefully have the right ones installed? Gap is listed on sticker as mentioned as well.
The jeep uses copper core plugs.
When u said V I was thinking V- power/ V shape tip or something..that must be some other brand IDK.
The jeep has a habit of eating the spark plug gaps. I change mine every 30 k miles.
The ignition coils are very good /hot on the jeep!
It is kinda like an electrical flame thrower! :icon_lol:
51247[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• JeepFlameThrower.jpg
    JeepFlameThrower.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I knew I had this photo somewhere...
51249[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

I have had good success in all weather starting the Jeep with the recommended NGK, and it runs wells day in day out.
Now just to stir the spark plug conversation :hidesbehindsofa: How many are using Autolites or even platinum's? :icon_lol:
Here is the cross over just in case you are tempted to try something else!
NGK ZFR6F-11G - Alternative spark plugs
:party52:

Attachments

• JeepKJSparkPlugInfo.jpg
    JeepKJSparkPlugInfo.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 0

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Never had NGKs in mine since new, Champions and a couple of times Autolites just due to Champions not being available when I needed them. Never had a starting issues ever
Never saw much difference really since I swap every 25-30,000 anyways. The shop that always did my alignments is owned by a guy who worked for Chapion for years determining which plugs worked better in which engine etc. Last ten years he spent at their test lake in Florida working on boat engines.
Interesting to talk to him about plug types etc

Last edited:

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I used Champion Truck Plugs in the 4.2L and 4.0L engines of my '84 CJ and '90 XJ and was well satisfied with the results...now that I'm about to become a KJ owner, I wonder how the 3.7L would interact with them....always believed a healthy ignition system, suitable heat range, and correct gap setting was more important than fancy metals and tip geometry...that's probably outmoded thinking in this day and time....

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
FWIW, I used Champion Truck Plugs in the 4.2L and 4.0L engines of my '84 CJ and '90 XJ and was well satisfied with the results...now that I'm about to become a KJ owner, I wonder how the 3.7L would interact with them....always believed a healthy ignition system, suitable heat range, and correct gap setting was more important than fancy metals and tip geometry...that's probably outmoded thinking in this day and time....

3.7s like a simple copper core, nothing added to them plug. No fancy crap just a good spark plug

Latest posts

Members online