question about towing KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be going on vacation in a few weeks with my parents RV and of course I want to take my KJ. I don't have a towing kit to flat tow it. So I want to rent a tow dolly. I would of course pop the tranfer case in N so the rear spins freely.

Well I called uhaul today to price check a dolly and they told me I wouldn't be able to tow my KJ with a dolly b/c (and I quote) "It has a rear drive shaft and it can only be towed 4 down". Personally i think the guy is trying to B/S me into renting a full trailer for the thing so they get more money. I don't see a problem using a dolly.

I figured I get everyone thoughts though.

Thanks!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I've seen TONS of KJ behind RV's....just put the x-fer case in neutral, and the ****** in park....and you'll be fine. I think it's covered in the manual.:)

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
read the little book in the glove box
it knows more than the guy at U-haul about a KJ
the sure fire thing is to just remove the rear D/S at the diff and zip tie it up
then you know you are good

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
read the little book in the glove box
it knows more than the guy at U-haul about a KJ
the sure fire thing is to just remove the rear D/S at the diff and zip tie it up
then you know you are good
With a 4 wheel drive you don't even have to do that, putting the transfer case in neutral completely disconnects the trans from the rest of the driveline.

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With a 4 wheel drive you don't even have to do that, putting the transfer case in neutral completely disconnects the trans from the rest of the driveline.

X2. With a true 4x4 you need only place the TC in Neutral. On a 4/AWD without TC-Neutral a 4 wheel dolly is needed.

EDIT: What TJKJ2K2 said, fork U-Haul get what you need not what they want.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1st never tell U-Haul what your are towing or hauling.Just ask how much for a certain dolly or trailer.

Like already stated just put t-case in "N",now most states are now requiring to have functioning brake lights on the rear of the vehicle being towed(be flat or dolly) and not on a flat bed trailer so you will most likely need a set of wrecker tow lights that stick on by magnets and hook into the towing vehicles electrical port.You may be able to rent them from U-Haul also.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Even if my state didn't require lights, I'd still do it to be safe.:)

RussWhite

Reaction score
Reviving an old thread, but this seems like the place to ask my question.
I just purchased a 2005 Liberty 4x4 with intentions of towing it behind my motor home. It was approved for this application in both the owner's manual and on the Family Motor Coach Association annual list of towables. Due to where I purchased the Jeep I need to get to back to where all my towing equipment is and I am short a driver to do that, so I thought I would dolly tow it for that trip. I checked the U-Haul site and it was approved for the application. All seemed good until I read the Jeep owner's manual carefully. I will post below exactly what it says, but in essence it says I cannot tow the Jeep on a dolly. Earlier in this thread it was suggested to disconnect a drive shaft and I will consider doing that. What I am would really like to understand it why it could be towed with all four wheels on the ground, but cannot be towed with two wheels on the ground. Can someone with intimate knowledge of how the transfer case works when in the neutral position step in and explain this to me?

Dolly towing prohibition follows:

Towing — 4WD Models
CAUTION!
Internal damage to the transfer case will occur if a
front or rear wheel lift is used when recreational
towing.

Thanks,
Russ White - 2005 Liberty 4x4