Jeep Liberty Groaning Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazyjeepkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im thinking its either the struts or the shocks, or the coils or something else that i dont know about. If the problem is serious enough am i better off just lifting the truck instead of just fixing it and hope the rear doesnt have a problem in the near future? Possible lift budget is between $1500 and $2000 (Parts Only). Im also going to have to find a shop that can lift it too

Last edited:

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try taking off the front sway bar and take a good look at your bushings and end links. They made need to be replaced but try cleaning them well then apply some silicone spray on the bushings and see if your noise goes away.

crazyjeepkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try taking off the front sway bar and take a good look at your bushings and end links. They made need to be replaced but try cleaning them well then apply some silicone spray on the bushings and see if your noise goes away.

no idea what those things are or where they are located. i know almost nothing about vehicles so im not going to remove anything

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably just the sway bar bushings making noise due to the cold. Mine has done it every winter since I bought it in 2006. You could spray them up to silence them. However, after a few minutes of driving mine warm up from the motion of the suspension and the noise goes away.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely sway bar bushings. Look under the front of the Jeep. See the big long bar? There's two things holding that bar in place in the front of the bar. That's what we're talking about.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been watching this thread with interest since my 2007 is doing that. I just bought it in May so this is my first winter with it. It only does it when the temperature is well below freezing. Mine quiets down after a few miles down the road, so I think the theory about needing to get a little friction from the motion of the Jeep to warm them up makes sense.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI the sway bar bushing looks kinda like this:

You must be registered for see images attach

This is on a Wrangler...the KJ sway bar bushings have the "bump" in the U shape facing forward. The bushing itself is the rubber part under the metal bracket. You wanna quiet it up temporarily? Use silicone spray. However, others on here will argue that it will eat the bushing rubber. At the rate you're at though, i bet they're pretty much toast anyway. I spray mine with no qualms. I don't have time to replace them nowadays, and they're way shot. Having beat up sway bar bushings won't really effect anything, just make noise. Some say handling gets a little bit "tighter" with new bushings, but to me that's all mental.

crazyjeepkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably just the sway bar bushings making noise due to the cold. Mine has done it every winter since I bought it in 2006. You could spray them up to silence them. However, after a few minutes of driving mine warm up from the motion of the suspension and the noise goes away.

i drove alot today and it never went away, i always heard it groan when i went on speed bumps even in the summer time, no idea why i didnt say anything. now thats its winter i hear it groan all of the time

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
They could be that bad. Mine groaned when I lived in FL anytime the temp was below 70 haha. Get some Moog ones from your local autoparts store, cheap and easy to fix, about $13 IIRC.

crazyjeepkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They could be that bad. Mine groaned when I lived in FL anytime the temp was below 70 haha. Get some Moog ones from your local autoparts store, cheap and easy to fix, about $13 IIRC.

still would have to get someone to install it, no matter how easy you think it is ill manage to royally screw it up

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
still would have to get someone to install it, no matter how easy you think it is ill manage to royally screw it up

Then do that or deal with it. Those are your only two options! But I'm 99.99999% sure it's your bushings.

...OR maybe you can read my other post. Had some good info...

crazyjeepkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then do that or deal with it. Those are your only two options! But I'm 99.99999% sure it's your bushings.

...OR maybe you can read my other post. Had some good info...

ill take it in to get looked at later this week, hopefully its just the bushing like you said. will post back here later in the week. thanks for the info dude

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Go to a good hand held car wash and spray back in them really good
Dirt and crap gets in there and then when cold starts making noise
Mine have 194,000 miles an NO NOISE at all but I also hose everything really well as often as possible

crazyjeepkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to a good hand held car wash and spray back in them really good
Dirt and crap gets in there and then when cold starts making noise
Mine have 194,000 miles an NO NOISE at all but I also hose everything really well as often as possible

hand held car wash?? i haven't seen those in years. its all automated by me. maybe i just can drop it off at a detailing place at tell them to wash it good since my spigot it valved off for the winter.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh come on now all automatics? No real car washes ?
Mines NEVER been through one of those ones, may as well pi** on the sides
Well second best remove them, wash them good and reinstall
or get used to the noise :jester:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
35 minutes is nothing , when you live in the country you drive that far just get buy groceries!