How Can I Disable Traction Control Completely??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RenegadeBullitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am getting really sick of my traction control kicking in even when I have it turned off. Today at the beach I had to go into 4lo the whole time because of it. If I disable the ABS somehow would that do it? Could I maybe rig up a switch on the ABS fuse? Any ideas? Thanks.

BTW...its a 2006 Renegade 4X4

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been fighting this same battle. I'm currently working on a switch that will knock out the nanny controls. I just need to do more research, there are 5 control systems in most Liberty's and not all of them may reside in the ABS module. Pulling the fuse may disable the rear albeit "fake" limited slip (applies brake to slipping wheel) and ABS functions, but ESP and Roll Over Prevention might still be on. I'm still researching.

I hope somebody can ship in here. I'd like to know. It's like having you 8alls cut off when you want to have fun!

Nothing feels worse then going through a mud hole and feeling your rear brakes kick on and throttle response go away!!

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could never understand these problems people have with Traction control. Once I hit the button I never have any problems what so ever. I've dug through mud and snow and pulled out tree stumps with no complications from the Traction control.

RenegadeBullitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could never understand these problems people have with Traction control. Once I hit the button I never have any problems what so ever. I've dug through mud and snow and pulled out tree stumps with no complications from the Traction control.
If I am in 4lo it never comes on...but in part time anytime I spin a wheel I nearly stop moving because its trying to "help"

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year is your Liberty ChiefRudy? When I press my trac button some of the control systems stop working. Limited slip and some other features are only available on some liberty's. My 07 for example has every control feature on it. While others with less options may not have as many. I wish I could pull out tree stumps.... :p

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I am in 4lo it never comes on...but in part time anytime I spin a wheel I nearly stop moving because its trying to "help"

When I use 4hi with the traction control off i get full wheel spin with no issue. I remember the 1st time I drove my KJ in the snow and I was leaving work with 14 inches on the ground (place was too cheap to plow the lot). I forgot to turn the T/C off and when I 1st started moving I thought my jeep died on me b/c the T/C kicked in and stopped me from moving. But once i turned off the T/C i had full wheel spin.

From my understanding. The button the steering column turns off the T/C but leaves the Electronic stability program (ESP) on. When in 4lo both are turned off. I could be wrong but for some reason that statement rings a bell in my head.

What year is your Liberty ChiefRudy? When I press my trac button some of the control systems stop working. Limited slip and some other features are only available on some liberty's. My 07 for example has every control feature on it. While others with less options may not have as many. I wish I could pull out tree stumps.... :p

I have an 06 Sport. It's fun pulling out tree stumps :) I use 4lo for that. Saved my yard from being dug up. I got a bush I need to remove the summer in my front yard. It's fun :badger_1:

SMETNA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Traction control is turned off using the button on top of the steering column. "Stability control" never turns off. If the vehicle exhibits oversteer/understeer, stability control comes down like a hammer. It has saved me from sliding off the road in winter so many times I lost count. It'll even shut off cruise control and correct your "quickly going badly" driving.

But if you want it completely off, you should be able to shut it off. I agree.

RenegadeBullitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Traction control is turned off using the button on top of the steering column. "Stability control" never turns off. If the vehicle exhibits oversteer/understeer, stability control comes down like a hammer. It has saved me from sliding off the road in winter so many times I lost count. It'll even shut off cruise control and correct your "quickly going badly" driving.

But if you want it completely off, you should be able to shut it off. I agree.

Thats the thing. I would like it for on road situations but when i am at the beach or in the mud i am sick of stability contol coming on for no reason. Mine kept coming on when i was doing about 5mph in the sand...pretty sure i wasnt about to roll over or spin out of control at 5mph haha. Damn you stability control

kena

Reaction score
I like to be in control of my driving without help from all that stuff. Don't even like abs.

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its great to have for road driving I agree totally. Now matter what your skills are these systems can react faster then you. But for off roading and generally having fun it *****....

Drubert

Reaction score
Stability control disable

Is it possible to disable the esp and stabilty control permanently through the use of a programmer device?

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I had ABS... but pulled the fuse for it, and last time I needed new hub bearings, I got the non-ABS kind. :D I don't have any of those other traction 'aids' though.

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what's wierd is that older model like my 2006 don't have the stop switch...it's always on. But well, with or without change nothing since it do ******* nothing even when sliding XD

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i hate this feature in the snow and ice. i was pulling a hill with snow and ice at my house 2 winters ago and had to really get on it in 4 low 3rd gear to get to the top. BUT right before i got to the top i started spinning the wheels and would have made it until the throttle completely cut out on me!!!!

at about a 20% grade i instantly started rolling backwards and FAST! i had to throw it in reverse and open my damn door because the backup lights on a kj suck and i couldnt see out the back glass. looking back with the door open and just staying off the brakes, i somehow pulled it out of an almost complete sideways slide back into a straight and stopped at the bottom.

the damn throttle cut OUT in 4low and me and my kid almost died because of it. i thought this wasnt supposed to happen in low, but it sure did with mine.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i hate this feature in the snow and ice. i was pulling a hill with snow and ice at my house 2 winters ago and had to really get on it in 4 low 3rd gear to get to the top. BUT right before i got to the top i started spinning the wheels and would have made it until the throttle completely cut out on me!!!!

at about a 20% grade i instantly started rolling backwards and FAST! i had to throw it in reverse and open my damn door because the backup lights on a kj suck and i couldnt see out the back glass. looking back with the door open and just staying off the brakes, i somehow pulled it out of an almost complete sideways slide back into a straight and stopped at the bottom.

the damn throttle cut OUT in 4low and me and my kid almost died because of it. i thought this wasnt supposed to happen in low, but it sure did with mine.
ESP and traction control are not fully turned off in 4low on a KJ,only partially and can still activate.

Phil + Neela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Solution!!!

Hey all, here's a link to LOST detailing how to create an ABS bypass switch so you can disable ABS AND traction control from the comfort of your seat. I used this write-up to wire a switch up on my jeep :)

LOST JEEPS • View topic - ESP On/Off Switch install "For off road use."

I've had this on my jeep for about 18 months with no issues. The dealer even saw it, said "cool" and my warranty was honored becasue it didn't actually interfere with the operation of the vehicle when not turned off.

I have some pictures somewhere, I'll look for them. Enjoy!

Members online

No members online now.