emissions problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeep liberty 3.7

Reaction score
2003 jeep liberty 3.7 v6 my check engine light was on because of a oxygen sensor so I replaced it and removed my battery to reset my codes! The problem I'm having is I went to get it inspected and it failed because the evap and catalyst monitor were not ready. They told me to drive it and bring it back. I have driven over 1100 miles and they still aren't ready and in ny state your only aloud to have 1 not ready! Anyone ever had this problem or know what's wrong with it?

The 1100 miles are highway and city miles
I was told to keep my gas tank at least half full but it don't help! I also charged my battery I DID NOT REMOVE IT some one said it could be a little low causing the codes not to set

Jeep liberty 3.7

Reaction score
That wouldn't have anything to do with my evap and catalyst monitors would it? The garage told me my oxygen sensors are fine

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It would. If the O2 sensors aren't reading the way they should, there's no way for it to monitor emissions.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That wouldn't have anything to do with my evap and catalyst monitors would it? The garage told me my oxygen sensors are fine
EVAP monitor...............

This monitor requires a cool down cycle, usually an overnight soak for at least 8 hours without the engine running. The ambient temperature must decrease overnight - parking the vehicle outside is advised. To run this test the fuel level must be between 15-85% full. Criteria for EVAP monitor:

-Engine off time greater than one hour .
-Fuel Level between 15% and 85%.
-Start Up ECT and IAT within 10°C (18°F).
-Vehicle started and run until Purge Monitor reports a result.

Catalyst monitor..................

The Catalyst and O2 Monitor information are acquired and processed at the same time. Most vehicles will need to be driven at highway speed (less than 50 mph) (73km/h) for a few minutes. Some vehicles run the monitor at idle in drive. If the vehicle is equipped with a manual transmission, using 4th gear may assist in meeting the monitor running criteria.

-Engine RPM between 1200 to 3000.
-Enginetemperature greater than 70°C (158°F)
-Engine run time greater than 92 seconds
-MAP between 10 - 20 kPa (7.5 - 15 Hg)
-Vehicle speed between 20 - 70 mph (29-103 km/h)

Any codes for the respective system can cause issues with the monitors ability to run/test.