T-case and both diff fluid change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering about doing some work by myself on the jeep and figured out changing oil, T-case and diff fluid was a good start for a beginner, other than changing light and air filter :p
so, dumb question 1 : I believe there is no seal on the rear axle cover so I have to use RTV, right?

Second question : A friend of mine is using teflon tape on the fill/drain plug on his truck, while another told me threadlocker is better. Which option you guys prefer?

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup use rtv on the diff cover. I dont use teflon or anything on the drainplug could come off and into the fluid. And dont use threadlocker unless you like busted knuckles

Sent from my iPhone using the power of children's laughter

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could but they are not due XD only axle fluid are soon to be good for a change but I always do a oil change before the opening of the fishing season so I'll do all the main fluid, of course I will get the trans fluid done by a mechanic.

ephantmon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used a Lube Locker gasket on the rear in place of rtv both times I have done my rear diff. No leaks either time. I know it's more expensive, but it seems to work well and saves some time.
gasket

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
permatex ultra grey on rear cover. you can buy diff rated stuff but i still bought grey.

no teflon tape nor threadlocker on anything, its not needed. 10 mm hex bit for transfercase plus, no idea what the torque is but its not likely to come loose ~30 ftlbs.

a bit of hose or a fluid pump will help you with the front filling.

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
permatex ultra grey on rear cover. you can buy diff rated stuff but i still bought grey.

no teflon tape nor threadlocker on anything, its not needed. 10 mm hex bit for transfercase plus, no idea what the torque is but its not likely to come loose ~30 ftlbs.

a bit of hose or a fluid pump will help you with the front filling.

I use the diff rated! I repaired a lawn mower diff, and had the sealant fail.
Never had a problem with a sealant before. But I don't want one again either.
And in before it can't happen, we tested the left over sealant. Which was not Permatex. It cure's like it should.But then it reacted with the oil, making a gooey mess.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mines gone through a winter of minus 40 and thereabouts and 2 heat cycles a day minimum, no leaks.

The ultra grey has a higher max temp too iirc then the permatex diff rtv. I'm pretty sure that, the transmission stuff or the ultra grey will all do an adequate job.

its hard to say i'm brand loyal since i've only bought two tubes in my life but i like the permatex stuff.

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mines gone through a winter of minus 40 and thereabouts and 2 heat cycles a day minimum, no leaks.

The ultra grey has a higher max temp too iirc then the permatex diff rtv. I'm pretty sure that, the transmission stuff or the ultra grey will all do an adequate job.

its hard to say i'm brand loyal since i've only bought two tubes in my life but i like the permatex stuff.

It wasn't Permatex, I'm thinking it was more an age issue anyway. The tube was never opened but old. Temp , wasn't the issue. Fixed the riding mower and only drove it to make sure all gears worked. Parked it and next day it was leaking. I thought, over filled or oil seal, never have I had a sealant fail before. But that's what it was. So now I'm only using the exact (fresh)Peramtex for the job. Paranoid I am.;).

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

X2....................

For personal use I never use anything but Ultra Gray and have so for like 10 years since that stuff came out.Never had 1 single issue using Ultra Gray and like the idea it's a high torque RTV and dries pretty hard which makes it great for diff covers,more so diff covers that may see some banging off of rocks.

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so I got the idea. Now waiting for the snow to melt and getting it done before the jeep get in the wood. Thx guys!

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check my youtube channel in my sig. the satchel mcqueen videos. i have a vid for each one of the things you need. you can actually see it being done.