Bypass transfer case to have it rebuilt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kjhhovan

Reaction score
2006 Jeep Liberty limited. 3.7 selec trac. I have the front differential out and have stub cv ends in just incase. Trying to find the right bushings so I can replace them on all the mounts. Last time I shifted into 4 full the front end felt very rough like it didn't shift to 4wd so the way, this was before I had the diff out. The shifter cable is attached, fresh fluid in case. So now I want to have the transfer case worked on. Question I have is there a bypass out there where I can remove the transfer case so it can be worked on so I can still drive. Something that will replace the transfer case and still let the rear driveshaft connect?

mrlavalamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am staring down the same job, and the best plan I can come up with is to get a junkyard t-case.

If you can get a lower mileage/better condition junkyard unit then I would rebuild it and do the swap. If you get a questionable origin junkyard unit, then I would swap it in, make sure it runs/drives ok, then rebuild yours that you just remove, then do the swap again.

The swap isn't terrible, but if you are doing it alone plan a way to lift/support the case, its heavier than it looks.

kjhhovan

Reaction score
Thanks for the idea. That sounds like the best plan. I did some searching for the 4 bushings for the front differential. All I can find out there are the poly ones. Which I'm fine with the upgrade, just shocked that's the only ones I can find, unless someone has found ones that work. This will be my first winter without 4wd hope it pans out. I did just get new tires to have the best chance.

Members online

No members online now.