Roll Over

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Speedy

Reaction score
A week ago today I was rear ended during a bad rain storm on I-75 in Florida. The Jeep went into a spinn then left the roadway and rolled over three times. Jeep was totaled but not a scratch on me.

I found a 2006 Liberty Limited with 14,845 miles. It's in great condition and I've put a deposit on it.

I've dome my homework and found the vehicle has never left Florida. It was bought new by a framily that lived in Boston but had a winter home here in Florida hence the low miles. The Jeep was garage kept and only used during winter months. It also sat for 16 months before it was sold. The original owner passed away. According to his son, the Jeep has never been in 4x4.

What should I do when I get this Jeep.

Change transmission fluid ?? Transfer case fluid ?? Differentil fluid ??

What else should I do ?

Thanks

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Sitting for 16 months before sold...stale gas? Did they use a marine grade ethanol fuel stabilizer? If not add some stabilizer and get fresh fuel in there.(will remove water as well)
Inspect brakes and get the brake fluid flushed as well.
Note 2006 is a KJ not a KK, and you can post under general forums-KJ.

Last edited:

Speedy

Reaction score
Im gonna show you how ignorant I am. What the hell is a KJ & KK ?

I'll do the coolant and brake fluid. Im pretty sure the fuel has been taken care of but I will also check that.

Thanks

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Im gonna show you how ignorant I am. What the hell is a KJ & KK ?

KJ = 2002 thru 2007 Liberty (older style body, with curves)
KK = 2008 thru current Liberty (boxier, square lines)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what is the life of the coolant? I have an 06 with 35K on it and changing it never would cross my mind to about 50k.
The HOAT coolant is labeled to change every 5 years or 150k,which ever comes 1st(like your warranty).Being you have a '06 and it's '11 your at the 5 year mark,time to chnage it.

Personally I'd never go that long on coolant,even HOAT coolant.The most I'd go is 3 years or 50k but I change mine every 2 years regardless of miles.

retmil46

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed on the coolant. And don't use the "all makes/all models" junk - Zerex G-05 (NAPA and Carquest), Mopar 5/150, Ford Motorcraft Premium Gold - are honest to gawd HOAT coolants.

On my old 87 MB 300D diesel, which uses the same HOAT coolant, owners manual recommends changing it out every 3 years. Also uses the same brake fluid, recommends flushing it out every 2 years or when it turns dark.

Transfer case, diffs, ****** filters and fluid if it's an auto - you ARE buying used, so going thru all the fluids and maintenance items will give you a good baseline as to where you're starting with the mechanical condition of the vehicle.

Hmmm, sat for 16 months? Battery disconnected or someone ran it every so often? Might want to budget in a new battery just in case.

Take a good look at the tires as well. Even if they've got plenty of tread left, sitting idle for nearly 1 1/2 years they could have developed flat spots/gotten out of round - and if exposed to the sun could have started dry rotting/cracking in the sidewalls. Depends on the quality of the tires and how it's actually been cared for.

Last edited: