Power Steering Pump - death rattle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andynator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

It's cold here in Ohio but not intolerable. I jumped into the Libby and let her warm up for a few minutes after work. Pulling out of the parking lot, I could hear a noisy commotion under the hood on the right side every time I sawed the wheel back and forth. No extra effort on the steering and it seemed to be gone by the time I got home. Pulled into the garage and checked the fluids - eveything was okay but I filled the power steering fluid up to the "full hot" mark just in case.

Sounded exactly like an electric motor spinning up under no load. "Whiiiiirrrrrrrr" - until the steering wheel was centered. Noisy. I could hear it over the radio and tire noise. Loud enough that I thought, "oh shit", but went away immediately.

'02 Ltd, 52k, last major service this time last winter. You know, tune-up, belts, radiator flush, grease everything, that sort of thing. Do Libbys have a history of early power steering pump failure?

Regards,
Andy

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The power steering pump seems to be loud in the liberty when its cold. If the power steering fluid has never been changed out, it would probably be a good idea to do that.

Most use a turkey baster to suck all they can out of the reservoir, fill it back up, start the Jeep and cycle the steering lock to lock, then repeat. Do it as many times as you like, I did it 3 times with Valvoline Syn power steering fluid. Some also use Mopar ATF+4.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
The power steering pump seems to be loud in the liberty when its cold. If the power steering fluid has never been changed out, it would probably be a good idea to do that.

Most use a turkey baster to suck all they can out of the reservoir, fill it back up, start the Jeep and cycle the steering lock to lock, then repeat. Do it as many times as you like, I did it 3 times with Valvoline Syn power steering fluid. Some also use Mopar ATF+4.

Yea, I think the FSM says to use ATF+4. I am too lazy to go in the garage and look it up. Too cold out. Change the fluid like jeepster said. It's easy to do and cheeper than never changing it and then needing a power steering pump. besides, maby it just needs a refreshing and you can't hurt it. You can get ATF+4 now at auto parts stores and even wallymart.

Dave

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
My rig does the same noise when it -15C, just as the truck starts with that first rev......ooooooh it's a terrible noise. Heading to the dealer Fri. to let them take a gawk at it.......maybe a new pump is in order for me since my pump oozes at the shaft seal.:eek:

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yea, I think the FSM says to use ATF+4. I am too lazy to go in the garage and look it up. Too cold out. Change the fluid like jeepster said. It's easy to do and cheeper than never changing it and then needing a power steering pump. besides, maby it just needs a refreshing and you can't hurt it. You can get ATF+4 now at auto parts stores and even wallymart.

Please check this post before topping off! :eek: Also in the same thread I posted an alternate method for changing the fluid. :cool:

Members online

No members online now.