What's the Best Power Steering Pump BRAND to exchange a worn out Mopar one?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phil2020

Reaction score

Hey bro's,

Beginning to hear that annoying noise coming from my power steering pump and was hoping someone on here would have some ideas what Brand last the longest.
Had to buy a genuine Mopar power steering hose a few years ago that cost me $390, because getting parts for these Jeeps is getting harder and harder.
I have heard that Cordone = "Car done", BBB just plain leak, no idea what to buy.

Can you please help?

ps: (2002 Jeep Liberty Ltd 3.7ltr N/A - 57,000mls)

Thanx a million in advance:)

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you see any leaks around pump or lines caused by worn out seals or o rings?
Could it be that your 2002 KJ has air entering into the system via the power steering lines?
Have you ever added power steering fluid?
Note: With the 2002 KJ, most have been converted to red ATF+ 4 transmission fluid by now.
If you jack up the the front end of Jeep, and turn the front wheels, back & forth does the whine go away?

Regarding rockauto, I would call them to see if any of these are completely new with pulley complete, ready for install.
Just the words re manufactured scares me !

Last edited:

Phil2020

Reaction score
Hi LibertyTC,
Thanks for your help!
Fortunately, no leaks.
I had one because of the high pressure hose and had a mechanic fix it but was left with this high squeal a few days after I got the Jeep back.
Tried, (in vain), to get all the air out of the lines with an air suction device bought from Napa, didn't work, even after I jacked up the Jeep and tried turning the wheels back and forth for hours.
Used the dealer brake fluid, (always).
Called rock auto to see what they mean by re manufactured, they were unsure, and they do not have any Mopar power steering units left, (2002-2006).
Sadly, they sold the last one over a year ago, and all they have is cordone and BBB just like our local stores.

However, saw one in the Ukraine, but after talking to some neighbors from there, they told me it may be a 50/50 hit if they send me the right part. That's the only place in the world, (so far) I can find a reasonably priced power steering pump, and yes, it's re manufactured.
But sometimes it can be a scam.

Attachments

• Power Steering Pump for 2002aa Jeep Liberty.JPG
    Power Steering Pump for 2002aa Jeep Liberty.JPG
    174.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
in post above you stated "Used the dealer brake fluid, (always) "
I'm sure you meant power steering fluid...?

2002 KJ's came with power steering fluid, is your KJ running with this or ATF+4 ?

Phil2020

Reaction score
OOps! Yup, sry bout that!

However, you've given me an idea!!!
Should I have taken it to the dealer and had a power steering flush done and then it would have the cleaned out ALL the old power steering fluid , and then they could completely fill it with the new dealer fluid.
Would this make a difference?

Attachments

• POWER STEERING FLUID.jpg
    POWER STEERING FLUID.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 5

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd consider a flush and ensure you utilize ATF +4 transmission fluid.
In or around 2003 all KJ's came with ATF+4 installed by factory for power steering.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Note ATF+4 has greatly improved lubrication properties.
The power steering pump will run much cooler, with less noise !

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are lots of patterns parts available from the look of it, no idea what's the best one though.
You must be registered for see images attach

SkyJeep

Reaction score

Hey bro's,

Beginning to hear that annoying noise coming from my power steering pump and was hoping someone on here would have some ideas what Brand last the longest.
Had to buy a genuine Mopar power steering hose a few years ago that cost me $390, because getting parts for these Jeeps is getting harder and harder.
I have heard that Cordone = "Car done", BBB just plain leak, no idea what to buy.

Can you please help?

In August 2021 I bought an Edelman

Hey bro's,

Can you please help?

In Aug 2021 I bought an Edelmann 6060R from Rock Auto for my 2006. Works fine.

Attachments

• IMG_0548.png
    IMG_0548.png
    677.2 KB · Views: 5