Power steering whine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
In my Jeep tool pile I have an unopened Lisle #39420 3/8" angled fuel line disconnect tool marked "Jeep transmission cooling lines"(by me). I think it reaches in and disconnects the many tiny invisible teeth inside so it disconnects easily. I also have Lisle #37000 which is a set of 6 different sized AC/Fuel Line disconnect tools. I probably read about these on LOSTJEEPS or here.

I have no experience, yet, with these newfangled gadgets so... good luck!

If you do cut it a small pipe cutter might leave a better end than a hacksaw.

Duster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I did not have time to do crap else on this. But last night on my way home, I got more noise, and then the dreaded ding from the gauge cluster. Looked down and the battery light was illuminated. The battery is new so I figured alternator and just kept driving hoping to get home before it died. Worked out OK and the battery recharged fine. I checked and there was nothing coming from the alternator.

I took it off and took it in to be checked after finding continuity was ok from the alternator to battery. Sure enough it was bad. Yesterday was the first day I ran the A/C and I guess the extra load finished it on off. So I picked up another and installed it. Imagine my surprise when I cranked up and found the last bit of power steering moan at low RPM was actually my alternator. The big cable was actually touching the back of the power steering reservoir transferring that frequency, so when I would open the power steering cap the sound was louder lol.

So the fluid change took away the power steering moan and the alternator swap got rid of the remaining sound I was hearing. Glad it's resolved.

Duster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've changed three of these. The hoses leak at the connections and the pumps sometimes go bad. I buy a rebuilt pump with reservoir and pulley. My 05's pulley would never come off in one piece. Don't even try. Spend the extra eight bucks.

In 05 at least , there were two types of return hose. Make sure you buy the correct one. One is just a straight hose with spring clamps and the other has fittings. Watch videos. There's a way to drill a hole behind the headlight housing to access a bolt that holds the hose bracket.

Hate to bare bad news, but usually if the whine doesn't work its way out or go away when changing some fluid, the pump has earned its retirement.
Can you point me to where you bought the pump with the reservoir and pulley so I can make note of it for later on when the pump does fail because I can't find one anywhere with both.

Thanks!

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you point me to where you bought the pump with the reservoir and pulley so I can make note of it for later on when the pump does fail because I can't find one anywhere with both.

Thanks!

Unlikely you'll find a new one with both. I've seen Cardone remans and others with the reservoir but no pulley. If you want to take a chance, ebay has many used ones with both.

Members online

No members online now.