Power Steering Pump Advice Needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jamesbeat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2003 Jeep Liberty KJ, and it looks as though my power steering pump may need to be replaced due to bad bearings.

(see my other thread here for details: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/please-help-engine-cut-out-grinding-noise-61597/)

I'm going to replace the pump this weekend.
I have read some tutorials, but I still have a couple of questions:

1. I'm getting a pulley tool to swap the pulley from the old pump to the new one.
Do I need any other special tools for this job?

2. The manual calls for Mopar MS5931, but I have no transport until my Jeep is fixed, and the dealership is too far away.
Autozone do sell a power steering fluid that claims to meet the MS5931 spec - is it safe to use?

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not really a special tool but it is recommended that you use a crowfoot wrench/flare nut wrench for the high pressure hose fitting. I think it is 18 mm. Autozone doesn't have those on the loaner program but you can buy one from there. You might want to also get a replacement o-ring for the high pressure line, not sure if it is reusable.

Depending on whether you have the HD cooling set up where you have both the clutch and electric fan, you'll need a tool to get the clutch fan off. Autozone has one in the loaner tool program.

2. depends on what's already in your system. If it is red color, it is most likely atf+4. If not red then it might be P/S fluid. You don't want to mix the two.

jamesbeat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fluid that is currently in there is black :(
I don't think the PO ever changed it.

Would it make sense to completely flush the system to be safe, or is that going to makthis a lot more difficult?
I have to work outside in the cold, so I don't want to do anything uneccessary...

Why does the manual call for Mopar if it's supposed to be ATF+4?
I had a similar problem with my old Volvo. It happened to be the year when they switched the type of PS fluid, and there was no way of knowing which type you had when it was old and brown.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fluid that is currently in there is black :(
I don't think the PO ever changed it.

Would it make sense to completely flush the system to be safe, or is that going to makthis a lot more difficult?
I have to work outside in the cold, so I don't want to do anything uneccessary...

Why does the manual call for Mopar if it's supposed to be ATF+4?
I had a similar problem with my old Volvo. It happened to be the year when they switched the type of PS fluid, and there was no way of knowing which type you had when it was old and brown.

use a turkey baster and suck some out on to a white paper or towel. You might be able to see a tinge of red even though it is super dirty.

You can use the poor man's flush which is using a turkey baster to remove the old fluid in the reservoir and fill it with new fluid. do this for a couple of cycles.

They changed it so there is one less fluid needed. I think you can pretty much use any hydraulic fluid in it.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
ATF+4 works very well in the high temp & pressure environments. Just like a transmission.
It also offers very good cleaning/lubricating properties.
I like clean fluid, so I use a mixmizer to suction out the old and install new ATF+4 worth a try to get something fresh in there.
58547[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

The flotool/mixmizer available at wallyworld. link: https://www.walmart.com/ip/FloTool-Gas-and-Chemical-MixMizer/16889145?action=product_interest&action_type=title&beacon_version=1.0.2&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&client_guid=ce313265-0a4a-4f99-8adc-2c0098ca8fa6&config_id=2&customer_id_enc&findingMethod=p13n&guid=ce313265-0a4a-4f99-8adc-2c0098ca8fa6&item_id=16889145&parent_anchor_item_id=22314667&parent_item_id=22314667&placement_id=irs-2-m2&reporter=recommendations&source=new_site&strategy=PWVAV&visitor_id=UkkyNv56XTNZmBR5BW4Po4
For the new pump use ATF+4.

Attachments

• Power%20Steering%20TransTune.jpg
    Power%20Steering%20TransTune.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

jamesbeat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can do better than that - I have a Topsider fluid extractor :)

I've been using it for partial drain and fills for my transmission - it should drain the PS reservoir no problem.

jamesbeat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm at work right now, and I have to take the bus home :(
I'm stopping off at Autozone to pick up a pump and some fluid.

I got my wife to check the color of the fluid on a paper towel, and she said it's 'brownish red'.

I asked her to smell it, and she said it doesn't smell like transmission fluid, it just smells like 'car'.
She is all too familiar with the smell of old ATF+4 because I have been doing drain/fills on my transmission recently (that stuff STINKS).

Of course, I'm sure fluid that has been in a transmission smells different to fluid that has been in a power steering system.

Is it possible for the Mopar stuff to turn reddish brown with age, or can I be confident that it is ATF+4 because of the color?

Last edited:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The MS5931 is amber in color so I think you should be okay.
The white paper test would give you brown versus red brown with atf+4.

btw any manufacturer of atf+4 will work including the walmart supertech atf+4.

atf+4 doesn't smell all that bad.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the 2002-2003's used regular PS fluid (amber). Later years used ATF+4. Not sure how interchangeable the fluids are. Use what is recommended in your manual. A non-mopar fluid should do just fine.

jamesbeat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the 2002-2003's used regular PS fluid (amber). Later years used ATF+4. Not sure how interchangeable the fluids are. Use what is recommended in your manual. A non-mopar fluid should do just fine.

That's the problem - I have read that 2003 was the year they switched over, so some KJ's had ATF+4 but the manual wasn't updated and still says PS fluid.

The only way to know is to check the color, but the color is unreliable with old fluid.

I'm going to buy a quart of each.
If it's ATF+4, I'll return the PS fluid. If it's PS fluid, I'll keep the ATF+4 for my next transmission drain & fill.

I just hope I can tell which one it is when I see the stuff first hand.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also maybe drain most of the fluid out?
remove the P/S cooler and both lines to it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online