Oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!
I never did oil and filter change myself and I plan doing it it when there will be a little less snow. But I don't know what could fit will in the KJ. I assume it's not the same that my gf car take so I am looking for some advice on what type of fluid and filter to use.
Here are some I can have local. I can order the filter but got 5 US gallon shipped to me would be pointless unless any of you know of a site that free ship in canada.

For the filter, there seems to be only 2 option.
Napa filter and Mobile 1 extended performance filter. If you guys know any better option I'll just order it.

For the oil, thing are getting a bit harder. If I'm not mistaken I remember reading here that synthetic oil are bad in KJ? or I may be wrong.

So I was looking at 5W-30
Penzoil conventional
Quaker state advanced durability
Mobil super ( 1000 or 2000 )

If synthetic is ok all place over here have the same as the above in synthetic equivalent

Any advice is welcome and if you have any input I'll take it.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been running Synthetic since I got my KJ in 2006 and have no issues.

I run with Mobile One full Synthetic and a Purolator PL20195 Pure one filter.

Even switching to Synthetic now would be fine. My wife's 2002 KJ had a 120K when she bought it a few years back. I switched that to over to Synthetic.

Synthetic really helps with the stopping/minimizing the yellow sludge that build up on the oil cap and inside the oil fill spout. Sludge is caused by short trips and engine not heating up all the way or something like that.

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What Chief Rudy said.

There's conversation here about using regular dino oil instead of synthetic in the differentials. It's not that synthetic is bad in the diffs it's just that dino oil is better cuz it hangs on to the gears and internal parts better due to its thicker viscocity. Plus it costs about 1/3 as much as the synth.

Synth is great in the engine.

Bob

Austerity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use synthetic. Whatever is on sale. 5w30. Quality filter - no fram crap. Wix makes the oil filters for Napa which is a good brand so either one is fine.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then I'll get the mobil one filter and pennzoil platinium since they are both discouted this week.

Thx guys.

Mobile one filter is good. I used to them but Walmart stopped carrying them and they are over priced or not available everywhere else. The Mobile one filter is M1-209.

I remember the filter model b/c the filter number reminds me of the Robot ED-209 from Robocop. :icon_mrgreen:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Find an oil brand and stick with it
never could figure out people who just buy whats on sale not caring of the brand
I've ran Mobile 1 full syn for years now, buy it in 5 quart containers and keep a few here all the time. Good Filter and you're done , I use NAPAs best most everytime or Mobile 1s

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Find an oil brand and stick with it
never could figure out people who just buy whats on sale not caring of the brand
I've ran Mobile 1 full syn for years now, buy it in 5 quart containers and keep a few here all the time. Good Filter and you're done , I use NAPAs best most everytime or Mobile 1s

Yea when buying the jug of oil make sure its a 5 quart and not a 4 quart. My father made that mistake last year b/c they had a sale on mobile one (which is what we use) but he didnt realize it was 4 quart jug until after we changed the oil. Ended up costing him more b/c he had to buy that one extra quart. I've only seen the 4 quart jugs in Auto part stores. no where else really.

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have use mobil 1 oil but they are so expensive it would be cheapest for me to drive to a garage...and since they never use the same oil year after year it wont change a lot.
I'll stick to the penzoil in the future then. I'll keep you updated if I kill my engine after doing this myself ;)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yea when buying the jug of oil make sure its a 5 quart and not a 4 quart. My father made that mistake last year b/c they had a sale on mobile one (which is what we use) but he didnt realize it was 4 quart jug until after we changed the oil. Ended up costing him more b/c he had to buy that one extra quart. I've only seen the 4 quart jugs in Auto part stores. no where else really.
I hate Walmart
but they have the 5 quart jugs all the time so I can stand them that long

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah, Advance has the 4qt jugs and what vehicle takes only 4 qts these days? Gotta be careful. I get mine at Walmart and they have all 5qt jugs there.

Dave

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get mine at Pep Boys (much closer than Walmart) because they have the 5 qt jugs.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pep boys is 3 miles away, Walmart is 20. Advance is 2, but they usually don't have the 5 qt jugs. They're supposedly building an Autozone 2 miles away, but I don't know if they have 5 qt jugs or not. NAPA is a little over 3 miles, but the staff there *****. The Jeep dealer is about 3 miles away.

Walmart loses unless we're going there to stock up on cheaper food.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pep boys is 3 miles away, Walmart is 20. Advance is 2, but they usually don't have the 5 qt jugs. They're supposedly building an Autozone 2 miles away, but I don't know if they have 5 qt jugs or not. NAPA is a little over 3 miles, but the staff there *****. The Jeep dealer is about 3 miles away.

Walmart loses unless we're going there to stock up on cheaper food.

Napa, Adavnced Autoparts, Autozone and pepboys all less than a mile of where I live and I work at Pepboys :gr_grin:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
All the autopart stores here (NAPA, Advanced, Autozone, Oreily's) use the 5.1 qt jugs...kinda annoys me. You can't just dump it all in and then you're left with a big jug with a minimal amount of oil taking up space on the shelf, I'd rather just have a regular 1qt bottle on the shelf. Plus the just charge so much, if you're not getting a special (the specials almost never use a good filter)

Walmart is where I buy my oil change stuff, 5qt jug for $16 and a Purealator filter for $18-19.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just get a 6 quart box of castrol 5w-30 from the back room and take one quart out and buy that and a purolator pure one filter

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If I had a Pep Boys close I still wouldn't shop there,
to me they are the same as Autozone, Advanced and O'Reilys great places to buy wax and thats about it. Plus none of the staff know anything except what kind of neon lights goes under your Honda, ( well not many of them) .