Help identify source of an oil leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FrozenAvocado

Reaction score
I'm seeing fresh oil leaking in this area onto these bolts. It's right above the oil filter and behind the pulley for the power steering pump. Any ideas where it could be leaking from?

Attachments

• PXL_20240113_012822058.jpg
    PXL_20240113_012822058.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 38

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can buy some dye that you add to the engine oil, which fluoresces when you shine a black light on it. You might want to give that a try if you're worried about it

FrozenAvocado

Reaction score
Does not look overly wet, not dripping from your quality Mobil 1 filter.
In behind the oil filter, there is the oil pressure sensor worth inspecting.
The leak appears to be coming from above the oil filter. Whatever those bolts are holding, it seems to be around that area. I'm just not sure what is on that area that could be leaking. I wiped it down not long ago, but fresh oil is landing on that area

FrozenAvocado

Reaction score
You can buy some dye that you add to the engine oil, which fluoresces when you shine a black light on it. You might want to give that a try if you're worried about it
I'll give that a go. Thank you! Not sure how to correct the leak from that area

FrozenAvocado

Reaction score
It probably comes from someplace high up. I'm going to wildly guess ... valve cover.

Wipe it down, and then look upward for new oil.
dc
I just replaced both gaskets last weekend. There was a leak coming from a hose around that area that was the main culprit and we also took care of that. We didn't have to replace the gaskets as they weren't that old but decided to do so anyways as we had already bought them and started disassembling things.

I wiped that are down a bit to see if fresh oil would still get in there and it seems like that is the case

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The high pressure power steering hose is prone to leaking. I need to replace mine too.

Good point. To the OP, are you losing power steering fluid?

FrozenAvocado

Reaction score
Good point. To the OP, are you losing power steering fluid?
Not at all. I just changed it last weekend along with the valve covers and fresh oil change. I'm planning on getting some dye tomorrow to see where it could be leaking from. I'm still curious to know what the area that is wet in my original pic of on the engine.

jeepop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That area is wet in mine and its the power steering hose. Wipe down the back of the power steering pump where the hoses go in. It is a very slow leak, hardly moves the level of the power steering reservoir. The other fun leak on the front is the front main seal and it will send oil down the oil pan to the back of the engine. It will splatter oil onto the front of the engine too. The oil pressure sensor is a common leak right on the front above the oil filter too, but I think that is dirty power steering fluid.

jeepop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at how this guys engine looks because of the power steering leak:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced both gaskets last weekend. There was a leak coming from a hose around that area that was the main culprit and we also took care of that. We didn't have to replace the gaskets as they weren't that old but decided to do so anyways as we had already bought them and started disassembling things.

I wiped that are down a bit to see if fresh oil would still get in there and it seems like that is the case

On these wonderful old Ford Tempos, they used to replace the valve cover gaskets left and right, and they would still leak. I don't know if I ever figured out the exact cause, maybe it was the design, but it was meaningless to the leak that they replaced the gasket.

The only thing that would stop the leak was a sealer on the gasket. Not even a different rubber gasket would help.

My KK doesn't leak at the valve cover gaskets.

It is important to know where the leak is.
dc

budget76

Reaction score
OK guys, we all know this. Clean everything possible with brake cleaner to start clean. Then you will see where it is coming from. Cost rags, towels, and brake cleaner. (no smoking)

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine was the power steering unit itself that leaked. replaced mine.
Can you wipe and try to smell it? you should be able to smell whether it is ****** fluid or oil.