OEM Moab equivalents?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been looking around, but haven't been able to find any other OEM-style equivalents to the Moab's. Does anyone know of something? I don't really care if they are a full 8" as the widest tires I'd run would be 245's...I would like them to set out at the distance the Moab's do though.

I love the look and design of the Moab's (just nice and simple), but really am looking for a cheaper set of wheels. I don't want to drop $500+ on wheels. The Soft 8's don't do much for me.

I am looking to space the wheels out a little more. Whatever I get, I'll be painting them a darker grey anyway (similar to the JK Islander edition color). If it comes down to it, I could always paint my stockers and throw on a set of spacers, but I'd prefer to avoid the spacers.

Any ideas?

azmotoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The closest thing I have seen to the Moabs for a Liberty are the Renegade rims. They are 6 spoke instead of 5, but seem to have bit of "dish" to them. At least they look the part. I don't know if it is an optical illusion or not.

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only way to go wider with OEM is the get a set of Moabs, or add spacers to stock. I am surprised you are seeing such high prices for Moabs. They are usually around $200-300 around my area in craigslist on a regular basis. Sometimes with 245/75 MTRs still mounted with good tread.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only way to go wider with OEM is the get a set of Moabs, or add spacers to stock. I am surprised you are seeing such high prices for Moabs. They are usually around $200-300 around my area in craigslist on a regular basis. Sometimes with 245/75 MTRs still mounted with good tread.

People think they're made out of gold around here. $500 at least usually.

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These are the closest "knock offs" to Moabs you'll find, but they are of course just not cheap, but reasonable.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/mr1-alloy-wheel/p2027066.jcwx?TID=7900

I'm not 100% sure on this, so feel free to correct me If I'm wrong. Last year I did the whole "rim shopping" bit as I was trying to find REASONABLY priced replacements for the factory 17"s. Fotyunatly I got lucky on Craig's List...

Any of the pre-99 Grand Cherokee 16", and I beleive all the TJ/YJ 16" wheels should fit your Liberty as well as any 16" off a regular Cherokee. I don't beleive they have as much backspacing either, so they will stik out farther like you want. This gives you a little bit more selection in "factory" Jeep rims. It also opens up the aftermarket to any of those rims designed for those vehicles.

Also, I beleive Ford Rangers and Mustangs also use the 5 on 4.5 pattern as well as some Nissan and a few others.

I too wasn't impressed with the soft 8s, but they have their place in you need an affordable replacement.

Hope this helps.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are nice, Krusty...I was just looking to get a set for $250-$300. I'm going to paint them anyway, so I don't really care what they look like.

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a doubled edged sword here...

On one hand I got my Moabs with the Goodyear MT/Rs already mounted as take-offs from a Jeep Rubicon. All 5, for $500. The tires were about 50% worn, but I should get another year out of them. At the time, I neded tires more than rims, but with a chance to go down to 16" rims, I snapped them up. The MT/Rs are a bit agressive (noisy), but the price was right.

On the other hand, I haven't been able to sell the Chome 17" wheels the Jeep came with from the factory. These were going for around $400 each when I first got the Jeep, and are about 1/2 that at a wrecking yard now.

Maybe I should put them up here, It's just that shipping a set of 5 rims gets expensive...

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a forum search but couldn't find the answer, and didn't feel like starting a whole new thread.

What are the specs for the Moab wheels, (ie. diameter, width, BS, offset etc)?
edit: Just found it. 16x8 with 5" BS, is this correct?

And what year Wranglers did they use them on? Was is just Rubicons?

Last edited:

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a forum search but couldn't find the answer, and didn't feel like starting a whole new thread.

'03+ TJ's 100% Rubicons
how ever I have seen a few that people picked up that were non-rubicons
but came off the lot with Moabs

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The dimensions you have for the rims are good, and J-Thompson's right on with the other info.

You need to be careful if you try to "peice together" a set as the finish and style changed slightly over the years.

You also want to avoid those that came off the newer "JK"s as the bolt pattern is larger, not to mention I beleive they are now 17" in diameter.

Neb1373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Moabs in Ky are pretty much nonexistent. I've seen a liberty cruisin around on them but havnt seen anything on craigslist. Like the op, I'm not looking to spend $500-600, I like the soft 8's but would rather get a nice oe wheel.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'll probably just keep my OEM stellies for now and paint them gunmetal.

I just wanted to know what to watch out for in case a deal shows itself. I did see a set on Ebay last week for ~$500 if I remember correctly.