OEM muffler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JTSherer

Reaction score
Took a look at mine and it's to the point that the factory seam is starting to leak exhaust. The metal isn't to far gone to clean up and seal for a year or so.

My question is , has anyone cut one open? Is there media inside, or is it just a series of baffles?

Either way, I'm going to take it off , clean it up, mig the seam and give it a high temp sealing.

I can't work on it in place, but I do have a space that I can get some bench welding done.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never bothered to open one up but I've welded the seam on both of mine.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Impressed the original muffler is still on it at this point, especially since you’re from Michigan! LOL

Winter salt destroyed mine back In 2017 and I’m on muffler #3. 218k on the clock now.

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Impressed the original muffler is still on it at this point, especially since you’re from Michigan! LOL

Winter salt destroyed mine back In 2017 and I’m on muffler #3. 218k on the clock now.
The original is still on my 2006 with 193k and we see salt on the roads in the winter

JTSherer

Reaction score

It's a replacement but timely enough to still be salvageable with a little work. Looks like the exhaust from the manifolds back has been replaced before. Has a closed ground code for one of the downstream O2 sensors. Hopefully just in the pigtail of the sensor.

Just finished the seam . Still gotta brush it down and seal it all to get the rest of what it has to give.

Attachments

• IMG_2024-04-05-14-15-11-966.jpg
    IMG_2024-04-05-14-15-11-966.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited: