Ham in Jeep...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nzoliver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,:D
Well got me a Yaesu 7800 in me KJ!(woot). The head is mounted on the ashtray :-({|= and brain is under the driver's seat.wrc.gif

A snap is attached

Thoughts please.....:cool:

Attachments

• 04 05 09_0150.jpg
    04 05 09_0150.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 95

al7fi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What and where on the arial?

Would be interested in what antenna you used and how you mounted it it.
Have a dual band Larson with an NMO150 mount that I want to mount on the roof, but have not done the drilling deed "yet". Use a Kwood THF6 with an extended duck on a suction cup mount on front windshield at the moment.
Works OK in the Anchorage/ Mat-Su area of AK.
73, de AL7FI

nzoliver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I was playing with my camera this afternoon and took a B+W pic of my Cherokee. The antenna is a Diamond on a Diamond mount and base.

The one on the far side is my scanner antenna.

Oliver:D

Attachments

• 04 05 09_0084.jpg
    04 05 09_0084.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 40

colin007

Reaction score
Cool., I was at AES the other day in Las Vegas here. Looking to put another rig in my 05 limited. Not sure where to stick it though. I want to go all band with HF. I'm an Extra class ham. just don't want all the extra ant. looks good. 73., N0VSJ

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, HAM in Jeep... I thought this was going to be a discussion about pork products.

nzoliver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Well, the ashtray seemed quite strong and firm even when open. So, a small piece of alluminium bent at the right angle (not quite 90deg) was STUCK into the ashtray with 3M pressure tape (real good stick and strong). The radio head was stuck to the alluminium and 2 small (supplied with the radio) screws went into the alluminium to stop any 'droop' on the right hand side as the head is not stuck centred on the alluminium bracket.
The radio is stuck to the carpet under the driver's seat using the same tape. It won't take a kicking but it is way under and had to get to with wayward feet in the back. I earthed the radio to the seat frame and the antenna cable goes out thru 1 of 2 holes in the A pillar behind the kick panel on the right hand side (driver's side here).

There.:p

7800 installation 101.

73s
Oliver
ZL3OOC

colin007

Reaction score
I find it funny when people post comments like "bacon" when in their signatures, they have things like CB Radio, FireStix antenna's, GPS, Kenwood, speakers.,
Kenwood happens to be a very popular amateur radio manufacture. CB Radio wouldn't even be around if it wasn't for ham radio operators pushing the limits of radio. Hams have been using GPS and APRS way before the general public started using GPS. I just find it funny. All your toys and electronics where mostly developed and bettered by ham radio operators. lol

N0VSJ

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find it funny when people post comments like "bacon" when in their signatures, they have things like CB Radio, FireStix antenna's, GPS, Kenwood, speakers.,
Kenwood happens to be a very popular amateur radio manufacture. CB Radio wouldn't even be around if it wasn't for ham radio operators pushing the limits of radio. Hams have been using GPS and APRS way before the general public started using GPS. I just find it funny. All your toys and electronics where mostly developed and bettered by ham radio operators. lol

N0VSJ

Hey now, I was using GPS way before it was cool. By the way, I should remove Garmin GPS on RAM Mount from my signature.... 'cause it got stolen. Bastards...

maverick7321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not like Green eggs and Ham!

You must be registered for see images

I will not eat them in my Jeep! :D Sam I am!

nzoliver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all, well that(yeahthat) says it all and I do concur. No green eggs in my Jeep.

BUT, i just thought with the limited space in our Jeeps, I would show the install of my radio. I kinda thougt it was not too bad! director.gif

Who else has something like it? Keen so see as the KJ is limited with its' 'roundy' dash. The KK is way better for 'stuff' (beer)

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I had time and money (two things which are very short in my life), I'd make a custom fiberglass dash for the jeep. Then it would be better for 'stuff'.

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score

N0VSJ

I still like bacon. I just don't have a use for HAM, heck I barely even use my CB. Maybe someday down the line but the $$$ to usefulness isn't there for me.

Austen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does it take to be a ham operator? I love CBs and when i was younger i promissed my self id go ham when i got older and the time is now.

nzoliver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does it take to be a ham operator? I love CBs and when i was younger i promissed my self id go ham when i got older and the time is now.

Hi!
This was my way of thinking too!!
I just downloaded the info for sitting the licence here in NZ - I guess the same there - and studied the questions. A basic licence in the US isn't too tricky from what I'm told. We don't have a 'basic' type licence here but it wasn't too difficult.
I'm sure there are guys on here that have a US licence that can advise you.
Go for it!!
WAY better than CB ;)

al7fi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For information on getting an amateur radio operators license try going to the American Radio Relay League website at : http://www.arrl.org/
There is a ton of information there and it can help you get in touch with a club in your area. I got my first license back in 77 in Wichita Falls TX the same way.

Good luck and 73,

Rachel / AL7FI

nzoliver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Well my ant is about 2' long. It is dual band (2m + 70cm).

Oliver

ZL3OOC :D

Attachments

• 04 05 09_0084.jpg
    04 05 09_0084.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online