DWM Seeks AJP For Wild Weekend, Maybe More

Did I Miss Anything?

• Nope, You're Good. Go Ahead And Order It Already

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Yes, Dummy, You Did (Tell me what it is by posting in the thread)

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I am going to either have to take a day off work or see if someone can fit me in on a Saturday, I see. Glad I found that out now. :gr_grin:

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went in as soon as they opened on a Saturday with all of the new parts that needed to be put on, they told me to bring in the old coil overs once I got them out, and then they'd compress them once they got the time
It all worked out in the end and I got the new ones before they closed (they were very busy) and it was still daylight out so I was able to get them in!
I'd call around to see who has a compressor and how much they charge first, then set up an appointment whatever day you decide you want to do your lift
A smaller shop would better- they'll more than likely be cheaper, faster, and might give you a deal if you get an alignment done with them after
I went to a different place for my alignments (NTB) just because it was $60 for 6 months of alignments whenever I feel like getting one

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
^ That sounds like good advice. There is actually a place I could walk to in less than ten minutes. I took my old Tracker there a few times until I realized that they always forgot to put a few parts back on, then claimed they were missing when I brought it in. (A/C fill cap, master cylinder cap, a hub cover for the rear 4wd, etc.)

They are incompetent, but I guess if I knew exactly what needed to be done I could watch them like a hawk and raise a fit if they did something backwards. My fiancee could always drive me around, humiliating as it might be.

I hope I am not in over my head with this... :help:

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Honestly, I was
I watched every video/read every thread I could and thought "Hell, this doesn't look bad at all"
I familiarized myself with every component that had to be removed so I knew exactly what I was looking at once I took my wheels off
The only difficult part I found was that some stuff was just seized on from the grime and not being touched in 11 years and was a PITA to get loose
I got frustrated to no end because the shop wasted 4hrs of my time having me drive back and forth 3 times and then once they finally got them done, the LCA wouldn't go low enough for me to get the clevis lined up
I removed the sway bar and everything was smooth sailing from there
There's going to be times when you feel like nothings working, or that you'll never finish but you have numerous people on here that will help guide you through this entire thing
I have step-by-step pictures from my lift install and they're all labeled if you want them
Don't stress about it, once you finish every bit of sweat and frustration will be well worth it

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
^ That sounds like good advice. There is actually a place I could walk to in less than ten minutes. I took my old Tracker there a few times until I realized that they always forgot to put a few parts back on, then claimed they were missing when I brought it in. (A/C fill cap, master cylinder cap, a hub cover for the rear 4wd, etc.)

They are incompetent, but I guess if I knew exactly what needed to be done I could watch them like a hawk and raise a fit if they did something backwards. My fiancee could always drive me around, humiliating as it might be.

You can do it, I know ya can!
Just stay away from most of those goofy videos

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Especially that Daystar lift video :whymewhyme:

???
Must be a good one :happy175:
I've tried watching some of those to see how good they really are. Get aggravated everytime, so much BS, no matter lifts, brakes. water pumps .
So vowed never to watch another one.
Someone does one thing one time and is suddenly a expert so makes a video.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Would there be any benefit to buying a pair of top plates? I talked to the guy at the shop around the corner and he recommends replacing those, too. That way I could just drop the parts off and pick them up without having a disabled Jeep. My work hours are 2-10 pm so I am not exactly an early riser these days...

Oh, my other set of Bilsteins arrived today! :D

Everything is here except my hockey pucks. Who knew a guy could want hockey pucks so bad in August when it's 90 degrees out? :happy175:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...Everything is here except my hockey pucks. Who knew a guy could want hockey pucks so bad in August when it's 90 degrees out? :happy175:

My fiancee just came in from work and handed me a package. Could it be...? Yes! The parts are ALL here. :winner_third_h4h:

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would there be any benefit to buying a pair of top plates? I talked to the guy at the shop around the corner and he recommends replacing those, too. That way I could just drop the parts off and pick them up without having a disabled Jeep. My work hours are 2-10 pm so I am not exactly an early riser these days...

Oh, my other set of Bilsteins arrived today! :D

Everything is here except my hockey pucks. Who knew a guy could want hockey pucks so bad in August when it's 90 degrees out? :happy175:

You mean upper shock mounts?
Regardless of whether you get those or not you're going to have a disassembled Jeep
You have to take everything up front apart to get the coil overs out
It makes it nice to just take what you have (old&new) there and have them compress them so you can get the rear done and then go get the new coil overs once you're finished
But, if you're wanting new shock mounts (I think about $120 for both) then you might as well get the upper and lower spring isolators
Then, you could just drop only the new parts off and not have to take your old assembly there
It'd be less work for them also
I wouldn't worry about the upper shock mounts though, unless they're VERY corroded
Mine just had surface rust
You won't know what condition they're in until you pull them out so it's really just a guessing game.. Buy them if you want or just use the old

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
So...what would be a complete list of parts I would need to make for a drop-in replacement? If you know the part numbers that would be great. (Like everyone has those memorized...)

I wouldn't mind having everything going in be new, and a shorter downtime is quite appealing, too.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So...what would be a complete list of parts I would need to make for a drop-in replacement? If you know the part numbers that would be great. (Like everyone has those memorized...)

I wouldn't mind having everything going in be new, and a shorter downtime is quite appealing, too.

Your Bilstein front strut, all hardware that came with it and OME 927 spring which you already have that so far
You'll need a total of 4 isolators (2 per coil over):
Front Strut Spring Isolator
You'll need 2 of these (a left and a right):
Moog Front Strut Mount Left Side

You could find these parts for a better price elsewhere, Amazon has the mounts for about $50

THAT'S IT
Take all of those parts to the shop, have them assemble everything and you'll have two new coil overs to drop in as soon as you get the old ones out
If it were me, I'd take all of the new parts to the shop a day before I started the lift, that way as soon as you get the old out, you have the new sitting there ready to go

Refer to the photo I posted of my coil overs in this thread
That's what the final product should look like

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Your Bilstein front strut, all hardware that came with it and OME 927 spring which you already have that so far
You'll need a total of 4 isolators (2 per coil over):
Front Strut Spring Isolator ...
I have four isolators total. I was told to order tops only. Is that right?

...You'll need 2 of these (a left and a right):
Moog Front Strut Mount Left Side
Would these Monroe's work? They're about half the price:

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2007/jeep/liberty/suspension/strut_mounting_kit.html

...If it were me, I'd take all of the new parts to the shop a day before I started the lift, that way as soon as you get the old out, you have the new sitting there ready to go...

That's the plan. It would be worth it to me to not worry about taking all the stuff apart, then getting to the place and having them be too busy and not get back with the new stuff until it was half dark. I have a garage, of sorts, but the lighting is abysmal, there is not much space, and it's not private. (Any one of thirty apartments can enter through their own door, then they have the run of the place. My bike is out there and it stays locked up when I'm not riding it.) If I could start out fresh in the morning with everything ready and just needing to swap it out I would feel much better.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have four isolators total. I was told to order tops only. Is that right?

Would these Monroe's work? They're about half the price:

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2007/jeep/liberty/suspension/strut_mounting_kit.html

You have 4 upper isolators for the rear, the fronts are different
What you linked will work and they actually come with an isolator it appears so you'd just have to buy 2 more isolators and you'd be good to go
Compare the isolators you have (for the rear) and the link of the isolators I posted and you'll see the difference
The rears are like a small black rubber disk and the fronts are a little over an inch thick I believe and usually gray in color

If I had to do it all over again I'd buy all new parts and have it pre-assembled
That's the best way IMO

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
These would be the fronts then?

http://jeepinbyal.com/liberty-2002-2007-kj/front-struts-for-kj/front-coil-spring-isolator.html

If that's right, then a pair of those ^ and the Monroe strut mounts and that's it?

If that's all I need to have the new stuff pre-assembled I'll order these tonight. My brake parts came in today so this weekend is already booked. If I could get this stuff by early next week and have it assembled by Thursday or Friday I would have the whole labor day weekend to try and put it together. (And I might need it all.) :help:

Last edited:

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These would be the fronts then?

http://jeepinbyal.com/liberty-2002-2007-kj/front-struts-for-kj/front-coil-spring-isolator.html

If that's right, then a pair of those ^ and the Monroe strut mounts and that's it?

If that's all I need to have the new stuff pre-assembled I'll order these tonight. My brake parts came in today so this weekend is already booked. If I could get this stuff by early next week and have it assembled by Thursday or Friday I would have the whole labor day weekend to try and put it together. (And I might need it all.) :help:

Yep those are it
Since you're choosing those Monroe mounts, they show in their picture that it comes with one isolator and you need two per side
So yes, since each mount comes with an isolator then just buy two more from JBA and you'll have all parts needed
Remember:
Bilstein strut and hardware, OME 927s, left/right upper shock mounts, and 4 isolators
That's it!

You've got this
Since you're getting your fronts put together prior to you starting your lift, you've already saved yourself probably an hour or so at the least
To add to your prep work, the night before you do your lift, remove your air box and unbolt your cruise control module (allows better access to mounting bolts), battery/tray and spray your upper shock mount bolts with some PB so they can soak in it over night
They'll come out much easier and that'll save you 15-20mins for the next morning

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Just ordered them.

Is there an exploded diagram for this anywhere? I want to make sure Cletus at the garage doesn't have a cixelsyd moment when I take the stuff in to get it compressed.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just ordered them.

Is there an exploded diagram for this anywhere? I want to make sure Cletus at the garage doesn't have a cixelsyd moment when I take the stuff in to get it compressed.

Yes sir
2006 Jeep Liberty Parts -
Only focus on 12,13,14,18,19,20,21,22 for the shops job
Remember though that the Bilsteins have that big silver circle piece which goes under the lower isolator
Look at my picture I posted of my coil overs and you can match up everything you have/ordered and you'll see what I'm taking about

For some reason I can't find the picture I posted in this thread, but here's what they should look like assembled:
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: