DWM Seeks AJP For Wild Weekend, Maybe More

Did I Miss Anything?

• Nope, You're Good. Go Ahead And Order It Already

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Yes, Dummy, You Did (Tell me what it is by posting in the thread)

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
... In the meantime, I can at least sit here and play with my nuts until they arrive...

You must be registered for see images

I can post up some pictures if anyone wants to see them. :mexsmoke:

And...I will try to get everything good and soaked with some kind of penetrating oil. I can figure out the obvious places to hit. Are there any places I'm likely to not think of?

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can post up some pictures if anyone wants to see them. :mexsmoke:

And...I will try to get everything good and soaked with some kind of penetrating oil. I can figure out the obvious places to hit. Are there any places I'm likely to not think of?

I'd just hit all of the main stuff just to be safe
Clevis, tie rod, sway bar, UBJ, upper/lower rear shock bolts/nuts, rear sway bar bolts, and also if you want you could remove the air box and battery/tray to hit the upper shock mounts and UCA but it's not really needed
I didn't need to do that but I sprayed some on it right before I started loosening them

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...Clevis, tie rod, sway bar, UBJ, upper/lower rear shock bolts/nuts, rear sway bar bolts, and also if you want you could remove the air box and battery/tray to hit the upper shock mounts and UCA but it's not really needed
I didn't need to do that but I sprayed some on it right before I started loosening them
You're in Ohio - why don't you swing on by and show me? :D

Seriously, though - thanks for the advice! :favorites13:

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're in Ohio - why don't you swing on by and show me? :D

Seriously, though - thanks for the advice! :favorites13:

It'd be a learning experience for me again since I've only done it once :gr_grin:
But really, once you do it the first time you feel like a master
It's not that hard, just time consuming
People are intimidated by the thought of taking apart their suspension but once you do it you want to do it again jus to add that extra 1/4" or whatever
You could have Tom swing by and have it done for you in probably 20 mins :happy175:

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Once the stuff is here and I pick a date, I can have a cooler full of beer ready. I don't drink myself but I'll buy the good stuff for anyone who wants to come over and whisper friendly advice to me.

"Hey, stupid. That's not right."
"You idiot. What did you do THAT for? What a mess"
"Holy cow, it's lefty-loosey righty-tighty. Get it straight, man"
"Numb-nuts looks like he's never held a wrench before..."
"Who told him you had to take the seats out to install springs?"
"No, there is no such thing as a left-handed hockey puck."

It'll be fun! :happy175:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It'd be a learning experience for me again since I've only done it once :gr_grin:
But really, once you do it the first time you feel like a master
It's not that hard, just time consuming
People are intimidated by the thought of taking apart their suspension but once you do it you want to do it again jus to add that extra 1/4" or whatever
You could have Tom swing by and have it done for you in probably 20 mins :happy175:

Tom shows up and you turn around to get your tools out and the KJ is done, he had all the tools in his pocket. :happy175:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, Jim. That looked like a nod to me! Pictures coming soon.

Anyway, the mail lady stopped by but was not interested in my nuts at all. She seemed confused and asked if they were brass. I replied that, no, they are stainless steel. She just shook her head and drove off.

Then Brown Santa came by. I asked the guy driving the truck if he had anything for me to use with my brand new stainless steel nuts. He too was confused, because he just shook his head, said some bad words, then threw two boxes at me. I was jumping for joy! I told him that these were going on very close to my nuts and and would give me some extra length. I didn't know those delivery trucks could peel out like that. Maybe it's ethanol-free gas or something.

Anyway, here's a sneak preview:

You must be registered for see images attach

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking good before you know it this will be a thread of the past and you will be lifted.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Looking good before you know it this will be a thread of the past and you will be lifted.
I really can't wait!

In the meantime, more boxes are arriving:

I need to get the stuff installed just so I can have my living room back. :D

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good deal man, it's like Christmas in August! Well....except you paid for it.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Good deal man, it's like Christmas in August! Well....except you paid for it.

It is Christmas in August and just like Christmas you ( him) someone is paying for it.
Oh wait do you still believe in Santa ? :gr_grin:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Good deal man, it's like Christmas in August! Well....except you paid for it...
Not yet! I will, though... :Violin:

On a related note, who do I check with to get the springs compressed? Just call up a place that does suspension work? What's a fair price for having this done?

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score

On a related note, who do I check with to get the springs compressed? Just call up a place that does suspension work? What's a fair price for having this done?

I got mine done at a shop called Monro Muffler and Brake
I believe they charged me $80-$90 so I'd say anything around that price range would be reasonable
If a place tries to charge you excess of $100 I'd look around at different places
Most small "hole-in-the-wall" shops would charge probably $40-$50, maybe even less
All they have to do is compress the old and throw on the new
Not a hard job

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

I always used a small Mom and Pop place in Toledo for all of the lifts, they compressed them and did all of the alignments as well
Just make sure they know that the springs you are installing are rated higher then stock ones . That way they'll know up front before you go in and they say OH NO ON MY THOSE ARE BIGGER :Insane:

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What parts do I need to take in when I have it done?

Once you get both of your stock coil overs out, you take those, your new shock and all hardware that comes with it (nut,washer, and spring perch), and new springs
That's it! Just make sure you tell them to use the new hardware as the shop I took it to claimed the stock washers were more durable although it doesn't really matter which one you use, I'd use the new just because you have them anyhow
This is what they should look once finished (as you can see, one new washer and one old because the guy there was dumb):

Oh and I had all the pictures I took during my lift install labeled for a fellow KJ owner so that's why there's words/circles on it

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.