DWM Seeks AJP For Wild Weekend, Maybe More

Did I Miss Anything?

• Nope, You're Good. Go Ahead And Order It Already

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Yes, Dummy, You Did (Tell me what it is by posting in the thread)

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Top-to-Bottom:

Nut
Flat Washer
???
Isolator
Spring/Shock
Isolator
Bilstein Plate

which slips through the Conduit Nuts and seats in the Clevis

From the diagram, I'm guessing the mystery part (#22) is just showing one of the mounting bolt nuts. Is that right?

Last edited:

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Top-to-Bottom:

Nut
Flat Washer
???
Isolator
Spring/Shock
Isolator
Bilstein Plate

which slips through the Conduit Nuts and seats in the Clevis

From the diagram, I'm guessing the mystery part (#22) is just showing one of the mounting bolt nuts. Is that right?

The "???" or part #22 are the nuts that bolt the upper shock mount to the chassis
So no need to take those to the shop
Conduit nuts go at the very bottom (onto the yellow part under Bilstein plate) and then upper clevis fork goes under those to be torqued down
Like I've stated before, I have labeled pictures from my entire lift install that I can send you if you want
It'll give you a great idea of every step as well as every part

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What a cool idea! Maybe I'll do the job in the nude so my video will be...different. :uhoh2:
Oh jeez, yer killin' me here. :(

Like I've stated before, I have labeled pictures from my entire lift install that I can send you if you want
It'll give you a great idea of every step as well as every part
Could you post those to this thread? They could help many others who may have bookmarked this thread because of all the other great info it has.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

What he say?

Maybe he fell asleep at the computer and face-planted the keyboard. :gr_grin:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
So, back to serious business:

I have seen references to opening up the area where the Control Arms attach to give them a little more room to move. Is this necessary? How hard is it to cut the sheet metal?

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have seen references to opening up the area where the Control Arms attach to give them a little more room to move. Is this necessary? How hard is it to cut the sheet metal?

Not 100% sure if it's NEEDED, although it may help
I've seen people run them both ways but it's probably not mandatory

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Two schools of thought on that subject
ONE, is cutting them will allow for more droop and the arms won't hit
TWO, is the side that thinks that they will self clearance as much as they need to go, PLUS will also control amount of drop and limit it somewhat so as to now damage other parts .
I've installed them both ways depending on what the owner wanted
On mine the 04 had them cut, the 03 doesn't have

Last few I did , we basically took a large ball peen hammer and started the metal to bend over that way it was started but wasn't enough to allow too much drop

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I think I'll wait and see what it looks like once things are getting put together. I have a little body saw that did an admirable job of cutting some fairly heavy metal behind the dash when I did my radio. If I need to cut this out it might handle the job.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two schools of thought on that subject
ONE, is cutting them will allow for more droop and the arms won't hit
TWO, is the side that thinks that they will self clearance as much as they need to go, PLUS will also control amount of drop and limit it somewhat so as to now damage other parts .
I've installed them both ways depending on what the owner wanted
On mine the 04 had them cut, the 03 doesn't have

Last few I did , we basically took a large ball peen hammer and started the metal to bend over that way it was started but wasn't enough to allow too much drop

I'm in the "let the arms create their own clearance" camp - never heard them create the clearance and no problems as far as I've been able to tell. They've been on there, what, 3 years or so.

But I like Tom's idea - give them a headstart with the ball peen hammer and let the arms clear out the rest of the necessary amount.

Bob

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Same here, mine are 3 years old and I've done plenty of wheeling and it doesn't look like they've made a mark on the pockets.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I was mostly concerned that:

A) It would be necessary
B) It would take a hefty saw

I'm going to play it by ear. Thanks!

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Last minute question:

I plan to take the parts in to get the springs compressed tomorrow morning. I have the extra Isolators for the front:

http://jeepinbyal.com/jba-strut-spacer-plate-set.html

These do not need to be part of the compressed package, right? It looks like they just slide over the bolts to spread things out a little more. I do not need to have the guy do anything with them in the morning, correct?

I just don't want to have to get this done over because I missed something.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Last minute question:

I plan to take the parts in to get the springs compressed tomorrow morning. I have the extra Isolators for the front:

http://jeepinbyal.com/jba-strut-spacer-plate-set.html

These do not need to be part of the compressed package, right? It looks like they just slide over the bolts to spread things out a little more. I do not need to have the guy do anything with them in the morning, correct?

I just don't want to have to get this done over because I missed something.

No they do not need the top plates in the morning, those go on right before you slide the coilover up in