BAD Front Differential problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johangr

Reaction score
Morning,
Being a newbie here from a posting perspective, but have read plenty of posts from this forum.

I'm trying to find out if anyone has had a similar experience and am also trying to find a possible cause to my problem:

I was coming back from some off-roading this weekend. I was in 4Lo and 4High on the gravel roads and shifted to 2Hi just before going onto the tarmac on my way home. Doing about 100km/h I felt the Jeep all of a sudden pulling to the right. I slowed down and at 80km/h the vehicle was traveling straight.

As I looked in my mirror, I had tons of white smoke pumping out the back. I immediately pulled over, ran to the side of the car and saw the smoke coming from the front differential. (More on the left-hand side.)

I got my Jeep on a flatbed truck back home as I was definitely not going to be driving it further. Back home, I was able to reverse off the truck and drive it into my driveway. (Did hear a slight ticking/clicking sound as I was moving forward, but no grinding.)

At closer inspection the next day, the left hand underside of the chassis, including wheel arches are sprayed with ATF fluid. The white smoke was most probably the ATF fluid coming into contact with the hot part of underside. I removed the splash-plate under the differential and although the left side-shaft is dripping wet, the seal/bearing itself seems to be fairly dry. Where the driveshaft enters the diff it is a bit greasy but also not excessively wet.

I will most probably have to remove the front diff and take it in to be inspected and possibly repaired.

Any comments on this would be welcomed as at this stage I don't have a clue as to what could have gone wrong.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
diff's don't have ATF in them... they have gear oil.
if what you saw was truly ATF, the only components that use it are the transmission (if automatic), the transfer case, and ironically the power steering system. given you stated the vehicle pulled to the right and you found a mess up front on the left side, I'd check the power steering hoses and pump first. The pump is located on the driver's front of the engine as well.

Last edited:

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front Diff

Front differentials use gear oil not ATF. The first thing I would do is check the fluid level in the front differential. I suspect it is at normal level. If the fluid causing the smoke is indeed ATF, I would check the transmission fluid level and power steering pump fluid level. ATF is found only in auto transmissions, transfer cases, and later power steering systems. A leak in the transfer case would blow back toward the rear of the car as it is behind the differential. A leak in the transmission lines going to the radiator might blow back on the front differential and hit something hot (possibly exhaust system). A likely leak source is the power steering system because it is just above the front differential and left exhaust manifold. The hoses and steering rack are just in front of the differential, a perfect place to leak onto the differential and exhaust system while driving at speed. Before doing anything diagnose the root cause of the smoke. You did good stopping driving and getting a tow. Now, dig in and find out why. It may save you some serious $. This problem may be no more than a failed power steering hose as they under high pressure. Wish you well on solving this. Keep us posted.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You say it's ATF? Red? That wouldn't have anything to do with differential. ATF would either come from trans or power steering. If on the left side, I'd expect it to be possibly a power steering hose/fitting/seal leak since trans related lines etc are mostly on the right side. Power steering issue could also relate to steering pull.

Bob

Johangr

Reaction score
Oh, a wealth of knowledge.....I did not even think to look further than the diff. The oil has a pinkish/redish colour to it. The fact that the left side shaft had oil all over it made me think immediately that it would be the diff. SBTW, it is a manual transmission....will check the power steering tonight and provide feedback. (I know the power steering pump is making NO noise while I'm turning the steering)
P.S. It is South African....thus the passenger side is on the left, so I'll check and see where the power steering pump is located.

Thanks for the help so far.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, a wealth of knowledge.....I did not even think to look further than the diff. The oil has a pinkish/redish colour to it. The fact that the left side shaft had oil all over it made me think immediately that it would be the diff. SBTW, it is a manual transmission....will check the power steering tonight and provide feedback. (I know the power steering pump is making NO noise while I'm turning the steering)
P.S. It is South African....thus the passenger side is on the left, so I'll check and see where the power steering pump is located.

Thanks for the help so far.

Do you have the CRD? Or the 3.7L petrol?

If the CRD then I'm not sure where the power steering pump is - especially on a RHD Liberty. The pic below is from a North American CRD - would the power steering reservoir be on the other side for an export model? :shrug:

Liberty CRD domestic engine compartment

Bob

Johangr

Reaction score
Not the diff!!

You guys rock!!! :party52:
I was staring blindly at the diff being the culprit as that is where the original smoke seemed to be coming from and where the most fluid was (left driveshaft and wheel arch).
First thing I checked last night was the power steering reservoir. Empty! Further investigation shows the power steering lines/tubes full of oil and gunk, all the way from the left (just below battery level) through to where it meets up with the power steering pump. I'll have to first give it a proper clean before I'll be able to locate the actual leak, the lines are too wet to determine that right away.

One thing which does make me wonder....with no fluid in the reservoir and an obvious bad leak somewhere, I started her up and turned the steering full circle from left to right and back again. I still have full power steering and there were no moans or groans coming from the pump. I had an old BMW before and also had a PS leak. The difference is that you could hear the pump moaning from miles away.

Any case, thanks for all the help....once again you guys rock!!

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No noise/still working just means there's still a little left in the system.

Bob

Latest posts

Members online